study habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you go on studying, do read then memorize out loud or just visualize the material in your head and that's it?

study groups or alone in your room?

Any good studying tips/habits you could offer?

Members don't see this ad.

study alone, then in group to talk it out, it always helped me to talk it out, cuz it stuck better

Find a place where you feel comfortable studying. Personally, I hate studying in the library at my school, I only go there to print stuff out or take out some books.

The public library near my house, might go there but they are pretty strict about no food/drinks.

Right now, my favorite place to study is the hookah bar. Some people ask me how can you study when they're constantly playing music, and especially when it gets filled up later in the day. I don't know, I just feel comfortable studying there, and thats where I get a lot of work done.

Some of my friends at LIU, they just go to class and go straight home to study. I don't know how they can study at home.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a very visual person, so if there's a book I'll usually read the relevant parts of the chapters. Then I re-read my notes until I can visualize them in my head. A lot of people in my class make flashcards. I used to do that in undergrad, but now it just seems to take up too much time.

Usually I'll study alone first, then I'll do a study group if I'm going to do one. Study groups usually haven't helped me too much (spend too much time talking about random things), so I don't rely solely on those as a method of studying.

do you guys memorize out loud, like your reciting or talking to yourself?? :p

do you guys memorize out loud, like your reciting or talking to yourself?? :p

i do, it just depends on what im studying. for biochemical pathways i like to talk them out loud.

Somewhere extremely quiet (like an office at my work) where I will have no interruptions (ie. coworkers) or distractions (ie. computer). Doesn't hurt to have access to an office in the pharmacy where pharmacists are readily available :)

Personally for me, old tests and good notes are the two best things you can have. With old exams, you usually see at least a few questions that are repeated. Sometimes, you can start seeing patterns in the type of material the professor emphasizes. I try to use the Pareto Rule to find out what 20% of the material make up 80% of the questions.

Then you need good notes to study the sections that the teacher concentrates on. I used to record lectures via voice recorder while taking notes. But I found that it was not too efficient. So recently I just left the recorder in the room, came back later, and then uploaded it to my computer. Use Audacity to truncate silence (gets rid of silent gaps in audio). Then I saved as mp3 and play it in Windows Media at 1.2-1.5x. This allowed a 60 min lecture to be listened in 25-30 minutes.

There are a bunch of other things that I also picked up from these websites.
http://www.socialpsychology.org/testtips.htm
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/columns/?article=testingtips

Different study methods work for different people. Sometimes the above-mentioned stuff don't work so I try to find something else. Always be willing to analyze your study methods and adapt as necessary. Be as efficient as possible. Also eat well, exercise, sleep. If your body isn't prepared, your mind won't be.

I write down what I am learning over and over again to get it in my head. That really helps. I usually study on my own and I need a quiet place, but occasionally I will study with other people. I find groups more helpful with classes that involve a lot of problem solving because if you get stuck someone will be able to figure it out.

Old exams, group crib sheets.

I suggest that you find study partners. I strongly recommend at least 3 groups: (1) someone smarter than you so you can learn from them, (2) someone who are about as good as you are so you can have back and forth discussions, and (3) someone who are not as good as you are so you can teach them. This method should cover a more or less of complete package of you being a teacher, a peer, and a student. You get to learn, practice, and lead. Good luck!

Or you could just turn off the crackvision, I mean television. It works like a charm.

I'm in the Creighton distance program.

I watch the lectures, stopping when I need to take notes or review something that was said. Then review the notes (easy classes), or either handwrite notes or do a word table if I need to categorize things to visualize relationships better.

I keep facebook on, as many of my classmates are on, and we IM each other close to exam time for quick answers/discussions. We also have weekly web conferences in some classes that I may attend if I have questions or want to listen in.

I've tried flashcards, but they don't work as well as the above for me.