Studying and Syncope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Vasovagal syncope is usually associated to sight of blood, but I was wondering whether anyone experience this while studying? I noticed that when I would begin studying, after say 15 to 20 minutes, I would lose the ability to concentrate. I would be able to read but not process anything. I would literally have trouble keeping my head up. I needed to just stop and put my head down or lie down to get my blood flowing back to my brain.

I know its not sleepiness because A), I've had a good nights sleep and B), I wouldn't be able to sleep after I lay down and reset. It's not food because I always eat a good breakfast.

Please let me know if you've experienced this and how you dealt with it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you're just bored? (Not trying to be funny.)

I find I have the same issue when I'm studying. I think it's just because the material is so profoundly dull.

Try taking frequent breaks. Each time you feel yourself get fuzzy, spend 5 minutes walking around your house and then get back to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Vasovagal syncope is usually associated to sight of blood, but I was wondering whether anyone experience this while studying? I noticed that when I would begin studying, after say 15 to 20 minutes, I would lose the ability to concentrate. I would be able to read but not process anything. I would literally have trouble keeping my head up. I needed to just stop and put my head down or lie down to get my blood flowing back to my brain.

I know its not sleepiness because A), I've had a good nights sleep and B), I wouldn't be able to sleep after I lay down and reset. It's not food because I always eat a good breakfast.

Please let me know if you've experienced this and how you dealt with it. Thanks!
sounds like you need pomodoro or w/e its called. Start at 15 on/5 off and work up from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

You honestly think you have a medical problem because you get bored while studying? If it were easy, we would all be at the top of our class with no effort at all. Besides, SDN is not for medical advice.

Lol, I never said I was bored (although that could have been the issue). Or my brain was just sluggish. At any rate, thank you all for the replies.