Studying for the DAT in ONE MONTH??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CGM86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys :) im planning on taking the DAT and studying for it in a month.... im gonna start studying on Monday- june 9th and try to take it the week of or after july 9th. For anyone that has done this or for anyone that is in the process of doing this (studying for a month) can you please post advice and what you did/doing?? i would really really appreciate it! Also, for the ppl that have already taken the dat using this studying method.. could post your scores i would appreciate it that as well! thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I studied for a little bit less than a month, and I did fine. I actually think that if I studied more than 1 month, I would forget the previous information, so I think this is the perfect amount of time to study.

I had the kaplan book and did all the bio chapters in 2 days, all the g chem in 2 days, all the O chem in 2 days. Then I ordered schaums for biology and read the whole thing in 5 days. During those 5 days I also did 1 test each from the crack dat pat. Then each day i would review over each subject of the DAT. And the last week I did 3 or 4 (can't rem) practice tests, and reviewed each test. I did the achiever tests.

You should be fine, it's more than enough time!

good luck!

Trixie, I hope you are a girl because you just impressed me!!!!! You read all the Bio, Gchem and Ochem in 2 days each!!!!! I read thoroughly 3 chapters a day and that runs me about 8-9 hrs plus doing 25 questions from destroyer. I started studying June 1st and just completed Biology section (5-6 days). Wow. How did you study all those pages in 2 days? Were you just skimming?:eek: Are you still in school?

I studied for a little bit less than a month, and I did fine. I actually think that if I studied more than 1 month, I would forget the previous information, so I think this is the perfect amount of time to study.

I had the kaplan book and did all the bio chapters in 2 days, all the g chem in 2 days, all the O chem in 2 days. Then I ordered schaums for biology and read the whole thing in 5 days. During those 5 days I also did 1 test each from the crack dat pat. Then each day i would review over each subject of the DAT. And the last week I did 3 or 4 (can't rem) practice tests, and reviewed each test. I did the achiever tests.

You should be fine, it's more than enough time!

good luck!

That's what I plan to do in August :laugh:

wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, yes I am a girl! Thanks, maybe I'm a fast reader?

I had graduated in december, so I had more time than you possibly did. I think the bio took me a total of 12 hours (so 6 hrs each day), g chem 14-15 hrs (about 7-7.5 hrs), O. Chem about 16-18 hours (about 9 hrs each day) . I think since I remembered a lot of the concepts (miraculously, I really didn't think I remembered a thing, but once I start jogging my memory, it came back), so I read thoroughly, but after I was done reading a sentence, I was done.

Your amazing!!! I scheduled my exam for August 9th and I should be done reading within 3 weeks. Should I try to take the exam earlier to keep information fresh? Also did you use Destroyer?

Personally, If I were you I would take it in July.

It's really up to you though and how you usually study, I usually only want a month max for those types of tests, but others are different. I know lots of people at my school that took the whole summer studying for their DAT (i have no idea how they did).

The first time I took the test I had 2 weeks to study for it along with 17 credits (my last semester) and 3 jobs, and I still did pretty decent. I think I got a 19 AA, 20TS, 19 PAT, but I wanted a chance to see how I would do if I got more time to study, so I took it again. I was basically only studying on weekends, but I crammed a lot of information in.

I feel if I take longer than a month, then I'm going to have to go over the material I learned before over again (to get it back in my head). If you are that type of person too, then i would suggest studying hardcore for about a month to a month and a half so you could get your brain going and then just take it when you feel confident that you know everything.

Yeah I am actually a cram person so I think I may want to change the date. How much do they charge to reschedule an exam do you know? I think I can knock out the Kaplan in 3 weeks then take another 2 weeks to practice exams and re-read.