Stupid AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockandRolldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being a little too demanding here, but you'd think that some of these medical schools would keep track of the students that apply to them. I really have no bones with AZCOM, especially because I was accepted and am attending my top choice NOVA, but the following sort of worries me...
About a month ago, I received a letter stating that i was being declined an interview and they even sent me a flier with information on how to reapply for next year and things I can do to improve my grades...etc. Even though AZCOM wasn't my top choice, I was still interested and was a little disapointed I wasn't going to be interviewed...no big deal, I got over it...
Now yesterday I got a phone call from a very nice woman telling me that AZCOM would like to interview me. I asked her if she knew that they rejected me a month earlier, but she couldn't find any record of it. This to me is a little disturbing and I was wondering if anyone also thinks that AZCOM's credibility has gone down a notch. I really just got a big laugh out of this, but I worry how serious a school is that doesn't keep track of the people it accepts and rejects. I guess nobody is safe :wink: Beware to anyone that is accepted, you may not be! And likewise to anyone who was rejected or waitlisted.. you may actually have been accepted.
As far as my reaction, like i said, I just laughed about it and respectfully declined the interview. What I should have done is accepted their interview and not showed up. They would call me and ask me why I didn't make it to the interview and I was simply reply..."I have no record of receiving an interview from you." However, I know that some of you are still trying to get in so it would be unethical to waste an interview spot for my own personal amusement and spite.
Good luck to all of those still applying, and to those going to med school next year. Also, I think this story is a testament to the high degree of randomness that is involved in medical school admissions so anyone who does not get in on their first try should take that to heart and gain stregnth from it. Have a nice Thursday....

--RockandRolldoc

By the way, has something similar happened to anyone else in this forum?????

Members don't see this ad.

Hey RockandRolldoc,

Wow, that *is* strange and disturbing. But, it's likely an administrative glitch that probably does not represent the quality of the medical education at AZCOM.

Your experience reminds me of something that happened when I first applied to med school in 2000. In Texas, we have a centralized application service, where we apply to all the medical schools with one application, and rank the schools in order of preference. Essentially, you're accepted to only 1 medical school -- the school of your highest choice that accepts you.

Anyway, that year, I ranked Texas A&M #3, and a few days before the Jan 15 match day, I recieved a letter from them, congratulating me on matching with another Texas medical school and letting me know they were withdrawing my application.

So, I'm on cloud nine by this point, thinking I got accepted to my #1 or #2 choice (UT-Houston or UT-Galveston). Well, match day comes along and I didn't get my acceptance letter!! After a few days, I called both Houston and Galveston, who both told me I was not on their acceptance lists! WHAT!?

It turns out that the A&M letter was sent out to a number of applicants by mistake, and they really hadn't withdrawn my application; I was on their wait-list.

Needless to say, I was furious! I mean, I partied the entire weekend, for nothing!! But, I realized it was an office mistake and a reflection on the secretaries (who get the accept/reject lists from the admissions committee), not the docs and profs at the school.

Anyway, it doesn't matter; I'm going to another med school (TCOM) this year, but the whole episode from 2000 made me question *everything* I got from *any* medical school. LOL, I even called TCOM the day I got my acceptance letter just to make sure I really did get in!

TexasDOboi
TCOM 2006 :rolleyes:

funny thing-- i got a phone call asking why i hadn't paid my down payment when i didn't even know i was accepted-- they were upset i hadn't responded about being accepted-- they never let me know i was!!! does that make pcom a terrible school with a bad reputation.....no, it just means that someone in the office had a bad day- oh well- i'm off to azcom-- kinda ironic isn't it :wink:

Well at least you guys heard SOMETHING. A couple of the schools I applied to I have yet to hear from despite sending in my secondaries and them depositing my check. I think its a little unprofessional if they reply at all to you after depositing your check.

Fred