Stupid Questions/FAQ Thread 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to 18 schools.... my aadsas fees alone was $1451 (yikes creditcard:eek:)

My 2ndary fees total came up to about.... $1500 (some schools thier 2ndary fee is $50 while others is $70+)

So far, $3000 dollars down and zero interviews.

Every interview you get (assuming they give you 3-4 weeks to use orbitz and great a great rate) will cost you approx $400-500 if you decide to fly/hotel.... Lucky for me, 3 of my 5 interviews I drove to them (2 were in-state, and buffalo is only 6 hours away).... The other two interviews: Temple cost me a good $450 and Nova only about $200 because I stayed with my cousin.
whoa...:eek: I need to start saving some money.

It is inadvisable to take lower division classes to fulfill Bio classes like Anatomy, Physiology, or Microbiology?
The upper division ones reserve a lot of seats for Bio majors and they fill up really fast so it's not likeley that I'll be able to get in. But some of the schools that I'm interested in require A/P or micro.

Do class like "Exercise Physiology" or "Plant Microbiology" fulfill required classes?

I took a genetics class offered by the Plant Biology department...will it count toward my BCP GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Sidenote: don't apply to just 1 dental school.

whoa...:eek: I need to start saving some money.

It is inadvisable to take lower division classes to fulfill Bio classes like Anatomy, Physiology, or Microbiology?
The upper division ones reserve a lot of seats for Bio majors and they fill up really fast so it's not likeley that I'll be able to get in. But some of the schools that I'm interested in require A/P or micro.

Do class like "Exercise Physiology" or "Plant Microbiology" fulfill required classes?

I took a genetics class offered by the Plant Biology department...will it count toward my BCP GPA?

lower division classes to fulfill bio requirements? Hmm... who knows, call the school and see what they suggest....

Exercise Physiology and Plant Microbiology (at least to my knowledge) don't fulfill anything.

However, If you look at the GPA insructions from AADSAS, anything with plant biology is BCP:
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ocuments/2011 ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
When describing the ECs that I've been involved in, should I take up the entire character limit or just write one to two (short) sentences about my responsibilities?

When describing the ECs that I've been involved in, should I take up the entire character limit or just write one to two (short) sentences about my responsibilities?

I actually filled up all the allowed space because... its very limited as-is.

**MAKE SURE YOU USE COMPLETE SENTENCES WITH PROPER GRAMMAR AND SPELLING.... SOME SCHOOLS JUDGE YOUR WRITING STYLE FROM THIS**

Thanks alot for the heads up, I was also wondering wether or not to fill up the whole space that is given. Your info has been very valuable!...

P.S. DentalWorks, have you received any acceptances yet?

Thanks alot for the heads up, I was also wondering wether or not to fill up the whole space that is given. Your info has been very valuable!...

P.S. DentalWorks, have you received any acceptances yet?
yes I have... I've gotten into Detroit, Michigan, Temple, and Buffalo.

Im attending detroit

I was wondering if FOUNDATIONS OF IMMUNOLOGY counts towards Science GPA.

It is an online course but it is one of the required courses for Biomedical science major

Congrats BTW!... If you don't mind me asking, what did you base your choice on?
reasons were:
-Its my home town.
-I get to stay close to family & friends & possible girl-involvement
-30 minute drive
-school is very I.T involved
-and....sister's GP office is 10 minutes away, I dunno how helpful this will be, but maybe...

only down side is, I'll be staying with parents to cut costs

Smart guy to stay with parents to cut costs!... I stayed with mine for most of undergrad to cut costs and therefore I have NO undergrad debt!!... There is nothing wrong with that!

Smart guy to stay with parents to cut costs!... I stayed with mine for most of undergrad to cut costs and therefore I have NO undergrad debt!!... There is nothing wrong with that!
only problem is... Im turning 30 in August haha

OOOHHHH... 30!!???!??.. Lol... O well still.... There will be more of an opportunity for some family BONDING!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT last summer and I was wondering if I can have my DAT scores sent in May so they get there by June 1st, or do I just have to wait until June 1st to send my scores? Thanks.

I took the DAT last summer and I was wondering if I can have my DAT scores sent in May so they get there by June 1st, or do I just have to wait until June 1st to send my scores? Thanks.

you don't need to do that anymore....

when you start filling out your ADDSAS, there is a section for transporting (electronically) your DAT score directly to AADSAS... all you have to do is supply it with your dentpin and your birthday. Its the red circle bellow:

25tub2h.jpg

I'm not feeling too confident about my dental related ECs. Would someone mind assessing them?

I plan on listing:

-100 hrs shadowing a GP
-40 hrs shadowing endo
-20 hrs shadowing ortho
-1 summer working at a dental school's clinic as a clerk/intern (sterilization, charts, filing, answering phones sort of thing)

I'm not feeling too confident about my dental related ECs. Would someone mind assessing them?

I plan on listing:

-100 hrs shadowing a GP
-40 hrs shadowing endo
-20 hrs shadowing ortho
-1 summer working at a dental school's clinic as a clerk/intern (sterilization, charts, filing, answering phones sort of thing)

150+ hrs of shadowing is good. It shows you know what ur getting ur self into :thumbup:

Try to squeeze some volunteering if you can, IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DENTAL or healthcare related, it can be anything... I dunno how important this is, but many schools seem to encourage applicants to get involved with their community

I plan on listing:

-100 hrs shadowing a GP
-40 hrs shadowing endo
-20 hrs shadowing ortho

I myself have not been accepted to Dental school, but I will say that if these are the only EC's you have then you might wanna do some sort of volunteering to add on to the application... From what I hear, dental schools like to see some volunteering.. I myself only have couple things to put down, but that is better than none..:thumbup:

150+ hrs of shadowing is good. It shows you know what ur getting ur self into :thumbup:

Try to squeeze some volunteering if you can, IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DENTAL or healthcare related, it can be anything... I dunno how important this is, but many schools seem to encourage applicants to get involved with their community

I myself have not been accepted to Dental school, but I will say that if these are the only EC's you have then you might wanna do some sort of volunteering to add on to the application... From what I hear, dental schools like to see some volunteering.. I myself only have couple things to put down, but that is better than none..:thumbup:

Awesome thanks!

I'd just like to note that I do have a bunch of volunteer activities. But like dentalWorks said, none of them are related to dentistry (they're all going to go into the "Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service" section). I guess I'm just feeling a little insecure about my dental related experiences because I'm only going to be entering 4 items in the "Dentistry Experience" section.

Question: What is the latest date I can take the DAT this summer, but early enough to have a good chance? (Assuming I submit app early June--without DAT of course)

Also, how in advance do ppl usually sign up to take DAT?? I see ppl on here already have dates set for June, July, etc.

So did USC lose their accreditation yet?:xf:

Does anyone know the answer to this? and why do you have your fingers crossed, isnt this bad because then there would be fewer spots which increases already competative admissions.

Awesome thanks!

I'd just like to note that I do have a bunch of volunteer activities. But like dentalWorks said, none of them are related to dentistry (they're all going to go into the "Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service" section). I guess I'm just feeling a little insecure about my dental related experiences because I'm only going to be entering 4 items in the "Dentistry Experience" section.

You are fine, your freaking out over nothing. My experience has taught me that 90% of the admission's game is purely numbers (GPA + DAT)... the other 10% is shadowing / EC / etc etc....

Having the right numbers + some shadowing + some community involvement = excellent recipe for landing interviews

Question: What is the latest date I can take the DAT this summer, but early enough to have a good chance? (Assuming I submit app early June--without DAT of course)

Also, how in advance do ppl usually sign up to take DAT?? I see ppl on here already have dates set for June, July, etc.

IMO, taking the DAT late May to Early June is still good enough and you'll still be considered an early applicant.

You are fine, your freaking out over nothing. My experience has taught me that 90% of the admission's game is purely numbers (GPA + DAT)... the other 10% is shadowing / EC / etc etc....

Having the right numbers + some shadowing + some community involvement = excellent recipe for landing interviews

IMO, taking the DAT late May to Early June is still good enough and you'll still be considered an early applicant.

Completely agree. But what is the LATEST to still have a GOOD chance? I don't need to be in the first batch to feel okay, not realistic for me. I need a good 2 months to study to feel ready to take the DAT. I know it would be awesome to take it by June 1st. Not going to happen for me.

i.e. Is early August still an okay time?... Perhaps a better way to word my question is, after what point in time would taking the DAT lower my chances exponentially? I realize late August is really pushing it, but by how much?

i.e. Is early August still an okay time?... Perhaps a better way to word my question is, after what point in time would taking the DAT lower my chances exponentially? I realize late August is really pushing it, but by how much?

Obviously, take it as early as you can. Don't plan on taking it in August if you can take it earlier than that. Applying later in the cycle does hurt your admissions chances somewhat, but the effect it has really depends on the rest of your stats. Just take it as soon as you can and apply. I wouldn't take it in August if I could help it, though. Can you take it by the end of June? Or maybe the very beginning of July? Why don't you sign up for it, study for it, and push the date back if absolutely necessary?

Completely agree. But what is the LATEST to still have a GOOD chance? I don't need to be in the first batch to feel okay, not realistic for me. I need a good 2 months to study to feel ready to take the DAT. I know it would be awesome to take it by June 1st. Not going to happen for me.

an Okay time for what? being early? answer = no.

If you take it early August, it will take approx 3-4 weeks for AADSAS to recieve your offical DAT scores... that means AT THE EARLIEST, you application won't be ready until very late August / early September

Obviously, take it as early as you can. Don't plan on taking it in August if you can take it earlier than that. Applying later in the cycle does hurt your admissions chances somewhat, but the effect it has really depends on the rest of your stats. Just take it as soon as you can and apply. I wouldn't take it in August if I could help it, though. Can you take it by the end of June? Or maybe the very beginning of July? Why don't you sign up for it, study for it, and push the date back if absolutely necessary?

Well, until summer comes, I will not be able to study for DAT full-time. I work part-time (and will in summer too) and am going to be taking 2 sciences classes this (spring) term so that I can study for the DAT on the side. I'm not the best crammer; I need to put the hours in to feel comfortable. I think I could probably take it late July realistically, but that's the earliest.

As far as the rest of my stats, I have 3.51 overall, 3.24 science --> both with clear upward trend. I think my volunteering is good and my dent experience is definately respectable. LORs should be o.k.--one from an oral surgeon + one from GD + one from supervisor (and 3 from profs)

..how early do I need to schedule it?

P.S. Thanks for your response, LaFleur

As a non-science major, how bad is it that I'm only going to have taken Biochem before I apply? (I actually won't be taking any of the regular upper division bio classes like micro/physio/anat/etc after I apply either)...:confused:

As a non-science major, how bad is it that I'm only going to have taken Biochem before I apply? (I actually won't be taking any of the regular upper division bio classes like micro/physio/anat/etc after I apply either)...:confused:

Well, it's obviously not an advantage, but as long as you did well in it, at least you have that going for you. It's not like you are going to wait and apply next year though, so I guess you will see in the fall when interviews come around. Just focus on the strengths of your application and be able to answer why you haven't done any upper level classes and you should be fine. (presuming you did well in lower level sciences as well)

This feels like a sh*ty situation.

So I'm thinking about rescheduling my DAT. I'm currently scheduled for June 1st but the way that studying is going so far, I'm thinking that I'll be able to maximize my score and amount of practice tests that I take if I take it in mid-June.

I understand that I can still e-submit my application without a DAT score. But would it still be considered early if I take it in mid-June?
Is it even worth to reschedule the DAT it if I'm going to be running around for a couple days filling out the application and delivering the transcript matching/verification forms?

This feels like a sh*ty situation.

So I'm thinking about rescheduling my DAT. I'm currently scheduled for June 1st but the way that studying is going so far, I'm thinking that I'll be able to maximize my score and amount of practice tests that I take if I take it in mid-June.

I understand that I can still e-submit my application without a DAT score. But would it still be considered early if I take it in mid-June?
Is it even worth to reschedule the DAT it if I'm going to be running around for a couple days filling out the application and delivering the transcript matching/verification forms?

mid-june is fine IMO.

Well, if you plan things right, you can get all of this done in a matter of 1-2 days.... would be a nice break from the constant DAT studying :D right?

I applied to 18 schools.... my aadsas fees alone was $1451 (yikes creditcard:eek:)

My 2ndary fees total came up to about.... $1500 (some schools thier 2ndary fee is $50 while others is $70+)

So far, $3000 dollars down and zero interviews.

Every interview you get (assuming they give you 3-4 weeks to use orbitz and great a great rate) will cost you approx $400-500 if you decide to fly/hotel.... Lucky for me, 3 of my 5 interviews I drove to them (2 were in-state, and buffalo is only 6 hours away).... The other two interviews: Temple cost me a good $450 and Nova only about $200 because I stayed with my cousin.

holy sh*&

Hi I have a stupid question, Im a Canadian planning on applying to American dental schools and because my gpa isnt that great now (3.4) because of a low first year I was going to wait till after my fourth year to apply in order to increase it. Does this look bad in anyway? Like if I apply when Im already done my degree and then just spend the year working to save money to make a small dent in my tuition?

Hi I have a stupid question, Im a Canadian planning on applying to American dental schools and because my gpa isnt that great now (3.4) because of a low first year I was going to wait till after my fourth year to apply in order to increase it. Does this look bad in anyway? Like if I apply when Im already done my degree and then just spend the year working to save money to make a small dent in my tuition?

no... why would it look bad? You've made a financial decision to apply when your have higher stats (ie better chance to get in).... Nothing wrong with that.

holy sh*&

Found this helpful link.

(scroll to the middle)

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...tructions/Pages/DentalSchoolDesignations.aspx

When entering coursework, will I have to enter a description of each class (like the overview of what we covered)? or will they only see the title of the class? Will AADSAS receive the descriptions with transcripts?

For example: Biology 101 - Introduction to Human Physiology: An overview of human systems and their functions. This course will cover cardiovascular, renal, respritory, etc

Last edited:
also...can I mail AADSAS my LORs before June 1? (they will reach after June 1)

I'm pretty sure that for aadsas YOU are not the one that sends the letters, but the LOR writer themselves submit it. On the form that instructs them I imagine it says not to send before that date.

What do you stand to gain my mailing LORS a few days early? Absolutely nothing bc they will sit there unread.

What can you lose? Messing up your application by not following instructions.

EDIT: great question though

this post is great very realistic.

you should try something new i think :)

I'm pretty sure that for aadsas YOU are not the one that sends the letters, but the LOR writer themselves submit it. On the form that instructs them I imagine it says not to send before that date.

What do you stand to gain my mailing LORS a few days early? Absolutely nothing bc they will sit there unread.

Great answer.

I completely forgot that I'll have to send in the transcript matching form too and it takes 4-5 weeks (correct me if I'm wrong) so my LORs will be sitting around anyway.

Oh and just for full disclosure, my school has a letter service where letter writers submit their LORs and the service just mails them to AADSAS as one batch. Seems kinda pointless to send them early now.

Last edited:
Ok, so I probably seem like a person who can't make up my mind. I did well my first two years at a state university. Then I got married, got sick of school, did a service year in the AmeriCorps program CityYear, came back to a different state university that offered me substantial scholarships, and now I have a problem. My husband is failing out of this university and is miserable, and we need to transfer to another school. Unfortunately, I've already transferred. Do you think admissions committees will think I'm flaky? Do you all think I am flaky? I still have a great GPA.:confused:

Ask your dental questions here :)
We are starting a new blog hoping to help prospective and current dental students with any questions he/she might have. Hopefully our experiences through the application process, the challenges associated with being a dental student, and our tips for studying for the national boards come in handy!

http://stephdianadds.blogspot.com/

That's nice of you all to help us prospective students out!

So I will be applying after I've been out of school for 2 years. As far as LORs go, should I request them now and use them later? If not, what do you recommend?

Last edited:
So I will be applying after I've been out of school for 2 years. As far as LORs go, should I request them now and use them later? If not, what do you recommend?

I requested some of my LORs on quite short notice; approximately 3 months before June 1st (opening of AADSAS - which is when I planned to submit my application). Some professors I asked said that 3 months was pretty short notice, but they thankfully they wrote letters for me anyway.

If you could, would try and collect LORs at least 6-8 months in advance of June 1st (or what ever date you plan to submit your application). Usually LOR writers like to have a several months notice so they can set the appropriate amount of time aside for your letter.

Furthermore, consider using a Letter Service such as www.Interfolio.com

It allows you to save your LORs electronically for later use.

If you plan to apply to dental school next year (2012 cycle) you can put of soliciting your LORs for a couple more months. If you are applying for 2011 cycle, I would suggest trying to start soliciting for LORs immediately.

That's my opinion. :)

Good answer.

I would like to also add, some schools will require additional LORs that cannot be accommodated into your AADSAS application (for whatever reason, all LOR "slots" may be filled on your AADSAS application).

These unusual LORs could be liberal arts LORs, employer LORs, religious LORs, depending on what schools you are applying to.

When you have to send these additional LORs be sure your AADSAS has already been submitted. If you send your additional LORs before your AADSAS has been submitted, the school may not have a file ready to put your extra LOR into.

My prof (who will be writing my LOR) will be out of the country with limited internet access following June 6. AASDAS 2012 opens on June 1, so will he be able to get the link to upload the LOR to AADSAS immediately, or is there some lag time? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not too sure how the system works and I don't want to be short of a LOR. Thanks!

My prof (who will be writing my LOR) will be out of the country with limited internet access following June 6. AASDAS 2012 opens on June 1, so will he be able to get the link to upload the LOR to AADSAS immediately, or is there some lag time? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not too sure how the system works and I don't want to be short of a LOR. Thanks!

The link should be available immediately.

If you submit your AADSAS immediately on June 1st, your application still won't be processed and sent to your designated schools for approximately 1.5 weeks. The 'first batch' of AADSAS applications usually don't get mailed to the schools for ~1.5-2 weeks after June 1st; at least this was the case for last cycle.

So, even if your professor uploaded his LOR on June 7th, this still wouldn't be that big of an issue.

He should definitely have time to upload it. The first day is a little laggy, but after that it seemed pretty fluid.

my questions
1- I finished general ed at a cc and finished just general chem1 there and I'm transferring to a 4 yr university this summer to start working my pre reqs, I want to know what would be a good major for pre dent, and do I need a minor, if so what would be a good one from everyone's experience?

2-Do most of you here plan on getting a bachelor's or just finishing pre reqs with good u.d. science classes? I plan to apply to pre dent as soon as I finish my pre reqs but continue with a bachelor's just in case I need to apply again the year after, is that good, what are most of you doing regarding that?

My question:

People are saying that the average dental student will be in debt for 20-30 years with, lets say, 250k of debt.
Well lets say your making 80k a year when your out of dental school. What if your making 5,000$ payments every month, for the first few years... thats 60k a year. You would have your debt payed off in 4 years.
Or atleast 3-4K a month. I know what your thinking, if your making 80k, and giving away 60k, you only have 20k to live. But, if your living with your relatives or your parents for the first few years or something, i think i could make something like that work out. Or even living with my brother and my cousin, and just spending very little for those first few years, to eliminate a huge portion of my debt
Idk, any thought. I don't want to be in debt for 20-30 years. I'd rather starve myself for the first few years, pay off most/all of the debt, and then, do my thing...
Thoughts?