Stupid Questions/FAQ Thread 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I though I'd make a thread for the stupid questions that either don't get asked because they seem so obvious/dumb or get asked way to often.

The search function is not really useful because every keyword/phrase comes up with 50 pages of unrelated threads for 1 relevant post. Some of the topics that are relevant to a search are from 2003/2004 and I can't be sure if they are correct these days.

So in the interest of saving some time and stress maybe we could ask them on one thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stupid Overasked Question 1: What are my chances? [insert stats which are same as everyone else] Sorry I wanted to meet a new thread because my stats/situation is unique. [insert story everyone else posts].

-How do I calculate my DAT score for each section?

I completed a RC practice test (3 passages, 50 questions, 60 minutes) and I don't know how to calculate my score 1-30. I found a table on the ada website but it only calculates for 17 questions.

-I took a bunch of 1 unit Physical Education classes (basketball, swimming, gym, etc) for a letter grade and got A's in all of them. Will they count toward my GPA?
(the actually make a small difference :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
-How do I calculate my DAT score for each section?

I completed a RC practice test (3 passages, 50 questions, 60 minutes) and I don't know how to calculate my score 1-30. I found a table on the ada website but it only calculates for 17 questions.

The practice DAT only has one passage/is not full. The regular DAT has a few passages. Where are you getting the RC passage from? Wherever you got it, should include a grading rubric. i.e. Kaplan.

-I took a bunch of 1 unit Physical Education classes (basketball, swimming, gym, etc) for a letter grade and got A's in all of them. Will they count toward my GPA?
(the actually make a small difference :p)

Yes, you got a grade so it goes toward the GPA. But which GPA will it go into science, non-science, BCP will depend on the department that offered it. BCP GPA > overall GPA.

See bold.

Thought I'd contribute something useful to the thread, after my first post.

Last edited:
thanks!

Is it a bad idea to take the DAT a week before the application comes?

I don't see a problem with taking the dat only a week before your application opens. The main problems occur when people apply early but take the dat late and then their application is halted.

thanks!

Is it a bad idea to take the DAT a week before the application comes?

No. This cycle the app opened in the first week of June. I submitted a week after it opened. I didn't take my DAT til the ~20th of June. Updated app with scores was re-sent I think in the first week of July. I was still invited to first round interviews, some even first day of interviews at some schools.

Even if you submit on the first day, your app won't be sent out for another 3-4 weeks (end of June/early July). They send it out in packs of say 500 or something. Schools won't even review apps/send interviews until August-ish at the earliest.

Bad thing is, if you do bad you need to wait 3 months to re-take it. This would make you delay your app for 3 months.

MY 'stupid' question: I see alot of people reffering to applying to dental schools during there senior year, how will the admissions departments get a realisitic view of me w/out the results of my senior year? :confused:

Stupid Overasked Question 1: What are my chances? [insert stats which are same as everyone else] Sorry I wanted to meet a new thread because my stats/situation is unique. [insert story everyone else posts].

Amen times a thousand. I see, like, 5 of these threads created a day. Once and for all, the answer to this question about "chances" that will absolutely-positively go unheeded - admissions is too complex, with there being way too many other factors and scenarios to consider beside GPA/DAT. We are not ADCOMs, nor spokesmen for the schools. We can say, yeah, definitely, maybe you'll get in but it's just a big optimistic circlejerk. One of those magic answer 8-balls could do the same thing---probably with more accuracy.

Stop making new "chances" threads for generic, ambiguous stats and read this instead:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635046

5 new chances threads will be made in the next 24 hours---just you watch.

Stop posting threads asking people with multiple acceptances to "hurry up and decide".

MY 'stupid' question: I see alot of people reffering to applying to dental schools during there senior year, how will the admissions departments get a realisitic view of me w/out the results of my senior year? :confused:

People have usually taken most of their important classes by then. Schools can get an idea of you if you've worked hard for the first 3 years.

I'm going to apply in the beginning of summer with all of my prereqs done except the second semester of physics (which I will complete in the fall). Is it possible that schools will make my acceptance contingent on how well i do or if I pass physics 2? will taking physics after I apply negatively effect me even if my sGPA is => 3.5?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. This cycle the app opened in the first week of June. I submitted a week after it opened. I didn't take my DAT til the ~20th of June. Updated app with scores was re-sent I think in the first week of July. I was still invited to first round interviews, some even first day of interviews at some schools.

Even if you submit on the first day, your app won't be sent out for another 3-4 weeks (end of June/early July). They send it out in packs of say 500 or something. Schools won't even review apps/send interviews until August-ish at the earliest.

Bad thing is, if you do bad you need to wait 3 months to re-take it. This would make you delay your app for 3 months.

Not true, if you skim the "official interview/invite, etc" thread, you'll see they start as early as late June.

I'm going to apply in the beginning of summer with all of my prereqs done except the second semester of physics (which I will complete in the fall). Is it possible that schools will make my acceptance contingent on how well i do or if I pass physics 2? will taking physics after I apply negatively effect me even if my sGPA is => 3.5?

I applied before taking physics II and biochemistry, and I was accepted at three schools before finishing these clases, so I don't think it really matters.

I feel like I know a lot about applying as far as the requirements, what is important/what isn't, interviews, LORs, shadowing and such...

But I was thinking the other day, and I really don't know how to apply yet...

So here is a barrage of short questions.

Does AADSAS just report a lot of the monotonous information that would be found on every schools application to save you time?

Do you actually submit your AADSAS, or is it just something the schools can access for your info?

Do you mail in LORs and your personal statement to each school, or do you upload them to AADSAS or something...?

What about your transcripts?

Do you have to have AADSAS completed and 'sent?' before you do the secondary for the school?

How are your DAT scores sent?

I feel like I know a lot about applying as far as the requirements, what is important/what isn't, interviews, LORs, shadowing and such...

But I was thinking the other day, and I really don't know how to apply yet...

So here is a barrage of short questions.

Does AADSAS just report a lot of the monotonous information that would be found on every schools application to save you time?

Do you actually submit your AADSAS, or is it just something the schools can access for your info?

Do you mail in LORs and your personal statement to each school, or do you upload them to AADSAS or something...?

What about your transcripts?

Do you have to have AADSAS completed and 'sent?' before you do the secondary for the school?

How are your DAT scores sent?

A lot of questions there,

First, the AADSAS app is very similar to most applications you have done, but it makes it easy and simplifies everything for the schools.

You do submit your AADSAS, you have to if you want to go to school, after it is submitted, it takes a few weeks for the schools to receive it.

You get your professor's or committee to mail the LOR to ADDSAS, and that will be with your application.

You also mail your transcripts to AADSAS, not to the schools individually. Once you are accepted, you mail your transcripts to the schools.

For some schools you can access the secondary before you send in AADSAS, but that is not likely. Most schools will email you, or contact you after they have received your AADSAS application, and will ask you to fill out their secondary.

Your DAT scores will be sent to AADSAS, and will be on your application.

Hope that helps.

Will a statistical psychology course count as part of my sGPA?
(the course is titled Research and Data Analysis in Psychology)

If I'm taking courses during the summer that I apply, will I be able to report the grades for them to dental schools after I apply? what about for fall?

Do Cognitive Science classes count in the sGPA? they're not listed on the GPA designations

I hear people saying "I talked to Soandso at X Dental School admissions and she said..." How do people contact adcoms or people who know about the admissions process for a particular school?

Probably Not.

If I'm taking courses during the summer that I apply, will I be able to report the grades for them to dental schools after I apply? what about for fall?
AADSAS offers an academic update feature that allows you to update your course grades. It will require sending your transcripts again.

Do Cognitive Science classes count in the sGPA? they're not listed on the GPA designations
Cognitive Science sounds like social science courses. So probably not.

I hear people saying "I talked to Soandso at X Dental School admissions and she said..." How do people contact adcoms or people who know about the admissions process for a particular school?

There is a list of the contact numbers/emails for each dental school listed on AADSAS that you can download. It's title will be something along the lines of "2012 SupplementalTableCompleteList." If you have any questions, you can just send them an email.

I hope that helps

It won't count for sGPA, maybe for the math one. (My stats did)

You can do an academic update around winter time. You could add your summer/fall grades then.

Nope. I didn't count mine as sGPA. You might be able to slip a neuropsych class in there if it is listed under a science department.

Check the admissions websites for the schools you are interested.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Jon, that helped a lot.

have a few questions:

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and was wondering if someone can give me a breakdown of the applicaiton cycle timeline. I see apps open on June 1st.

-if i'm taking my DAT around July1st, would that still be considered early enough in the cycle, to make up for a low gpa (~3.4)?

-obviously it's better to take it earlier, would having my DAT completed by June 1st make a significant difference?

-after taking my DAT, will my application immediately be considered "complete"?

-is it correct to assume that my aadsas GPA reflects all the courses ive ever taken (CC courses while in highschool) as opposed to differentiating between where i completed the majority of credits at my undergrad institution?

-how far in advance do you typically register for the dat?

thanks!

edit: just stumbled across this.
Here's how this works:

When you sign up for your DAT exam, you choose the schools that you want your scores to be sent to. If after taking the exam you decide you want additional schools to receive your scores, you simply go on ADA's website, and there's a form there that allows you to add additional schools.

Your scores are available to your designated school electronically 2-3 days after the exam. However, it takes between 3-4 weeks for schools to receive a physical copy of your scores from AADSAS.

On June 1st, you will start making an application on AADSAS. After submitting your application, paying the fee, and sending your transcripts and LOR to AADSAS, they will calculate your overall and science GPA's. Once they have your GPA's they will mail out your application to your designated schools. Schools will NOT receive your application any sooner than July 14th. Now, here's the catch. Your application will NOT be mailed out util AADSAS calculates your GPAs. To calculate your GPA's they need all your transcripts. So, the later you send in your transcripts, the later they will calculate your GPAs, and the later your application gets mailed to schools. AADSAS will still forward LORs to schools, even after they mail out your application.

After July 14th, schools will start reviewing the first applications they've received and start sending out e-mails for secondary applications. The earliest date you will receive an e-mail for a secondary application (Provided that you're selected to fill one out) is late July/early August.

Most schools will not look at your application until they have your DAT scores. This is an standardized test and it's a good indication of your academic performance. So, they want to see some solid scores, before they even consider reviewing your application. So, if you take your DAT by late June, schools will probably receive your scores by mid July, which is also the time they will start receiving copies of your application from AADSAS. Therefore, you should be fine!

There are really no specific dates for you to be considered an early applicant. The earlier you finish your application the sooner schools will start reviewing your application, which means you'll be competing with fewer applicants for more open spots. The later you send in your application the more competitive this process has become. You'll be competing with more applicants for fewer available spots. Subsequently, schools will start scrutinizing your application to ensure that they pick the best applicant for the few open spots they got. In short, the earlier you get everything done the better!!

Hope this has answered your questions!​

Last edited:
have a few questions:

I'm applying this upcoming cycle and was wondering if someone can give me a breakdown of the applicaiton cycle timeline. I see apps open on June 1st.

-if i'm taking my DAT around July1st, would that still be considered early enough in the cycle, to make up for a low gpa (~3.4)?

-obviously it's better to take it earlier, would having my DAT completed by June 1st make a significant difference?

-after taking my DAT, will my application immediately be considered "complete"?

-is it correct to assume that my aadsas GPA reflects all the courses ive ever taken (CC courses while in highschool) as opposed to differentiating between where i completed the majority of credits at my undergrad institution?

thanks!

I believe if you take your DAT in July, it will take some time for AADSAS to receive the scores (roughly a month or so). That will put your application being complete around August time. I would take the DAT sooner, but if you've already set that take it's too late to change now.

Ok, here is my stupid question...does anyone know why some schools don't even show up on the school decision list of AADSAS? I don't mean they have the school listed and the decision is blank, I mean the school isn't even on the list at all.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is it okay to start asking for letters of recommendation by the end of February/beginning of March?

Are there any general rules about how to format your essay or what not to bring up?

Ok, here is my stupid question...does anyone know why some schools don't even show up on the school decision list of AADSAS? I don't mean they have the school listed and the decision is blank, I mean the school isn't even on the list at all.

Thanks! :rolleyes:
Some schools just don't participate in the AADSAS update system.

Is it okay to start asking for letters of recommendation by the end of February/beginning of March?

Are there any general rules about how to format your essay or what not to bring up?

I think it would be ok to mention it to professors then, but remember that they won't be able to submit them until AADSAS opens. It's always a good idea to contact them though and get to know them a little more.

As far as essay: I just sent each letter-writer a copy of my PS and my transcript (just a copy from the school website; it doesn't need to be official).

Can I mail my stuff before the app even opens up? I would like to mail in my LOR and transcripts in April or would I have to wait until I actually CREATE a
"profile"

Can I mail my stuff before the app even opens up? I would like to mail in my LOR and transcripts in April or would I have to wait until I actually CREATE a
"profile"

No, you cannot. Just be patient and wait, have all of your stuff ready to go for that time (that time = when you are able to create an application) and you'll be in as early as possible.

Thank you so much to those who are answering questions!

I plan on applying at the end of my senior year and staying an extra semester (fall 11) during spring 11 I'll work or do research or something. Should I plan to be grilled about staying an extra semester in my interview?

A little background: went to cc, did all but one of my prereqs at a 4-year so I had to spread most of them over the 2 years after I transferred.

Thank you so much to those who are answering questions!

I plan on applying at the end of my senior year and staying an extra semester (fall 11) during spring 11 I'll work or do research or something. Should I plan to be grilled about staying an extra semester in my interview?

A little background: went to cc, did all but one of my prereqs at a 4-year so I had to spread most of them over the 2 years after I transferred.

I wouldn't plan on being "grilled," but I would bring up what you are doing. It will make it look like you have direction and aren't just slacking for a year.

From what I understand there are a limited amount of things you can list in the Professional experience section. For "Dental Experience" there's a limit of 10. I don't really have 10 dental related experiences, more like 3-5. Is it uncommon to leave that many blank?

Besides the personal statement and interview, is there a way of indicating that I'm interested in research even though I haven't done any yet?

I will be reapplying this coming cycle and wanted to know if me beginning a masters program will help me in any way while i am in the process of applying. What I mean to ask is that do applicants usually complete a masters before they apply or enroll and complete a masters program while they are applying/interviewing. I will be graduating in June and will have a year on my hands.

So do you think its better to go for the masters while I apply or take up about 2 upper level courses per semester and get a job?!

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice!

I guess it all depends on your other qualifications, but I chose the take two upper level classes and pick up more hours at the dental office and i got three interviews and two acceptances this year. Last year I didn't get a single interview. My DAT scores were slightly above average and I had a solid GPA. I would suggest that you pass up the masters and save a little money while taking a couple classes that you'll end up taking in dental school. Also apply as early as possible, I fear that was my downfall last year, I didn't submit until early September. Either way, good luck and stick with it.

Do most people fulfill the limit for the "professional experience" sections (dental experience, volunteer experience, research, ect.)?

I doubt I'll be able to reach the limit on more than 3...do people often enter the maximum?

Do most people fulfill the limit for the "professional experience" sections (dental experience, volunteer experience, research, ect.)?

I doubt I'll be able to reach the limit on more than 3...do people often enter the maximum?
bump

I'm also wondering about this question.. I'm pretty sure that I won't have over half of the blanks filled up.

Okay, I'm kind of grateful for this thread because I think I have the single stupidest question in the history of dental school admissions.

I just switched to pre-dent a few months ago and every time I mention the DAT I get weird looks.

Which leads to my question:

Is DAT pronounced to rhyme with "that" (or PCAT or MCAT or LSAT or what have you) or is it like "SAT," where you pronounce each letter? I've been saying it the first way and I'm not sure if I'm just a total ******* and other pre-dents I've been talking to are laughing at me or if I'm just imagining things.

I have my first appt with my academic advisor since I made the switch coming up soon and I really don't want to look like an ass.

/dumbest question ever

Okay, I'm kind of grateful for this thread because I think I have the single stupidest question in the history of dental school admissions.

I just switched to pre-dent a few months ago and every time I mention the DAT I get weird looks.

Is DAT pronounced to rhyme with "that" (or PCAT or MCAT or LSAT or what have you) or is it like "SAT," where you pronounce each letter? I've been saying it the first way and I'm not sure if I'm just a total ******* and other pre-dents I've been talking to are laughing at me or if I'm just imagining things.

I have my first appt with my academic advisor since I made the switch coming up soon and I really don't want to look like an ass.

/dumbest question ever

i've heard both, but i usually say "DAT", (not D-A-T) because i'm lazy

no you don't...

for me I had:
-Awards, Honors, Scholarships --> 2 (both dean's list, but different dates)
-Dentistry Experience --> only 2 (both were shadowing a GP dentist..total 150 hrs)
-EC/Volunteer/Community Service --> 3 ECs
-Work experience --> 2

/dumbest question ever

I always pronounced it "D--A--T" (no rhyme with "that").... In my interviews, conversing with fellow interviewees, admission people at schools, everyone. I can't call it "DAT"

Thank you so much to the people answering the questions! Especially Maygyver, Khar, and DentalWorks. You guys really are awesome.

As a non-science major, I'll only have taken 1 upper division Bio class by the time that I apply (biochem). Some dental schools require a course in Anatomy, physio, microbio, etc in addition to the normal prereqs. Can I take them the semester after I apply and still be considered for admission (even though I won't submit a grade)?

As a non-science major, I'll only have taken 1 upper division Bio class by the time that I apply (biochem). Some dental schools require a course in Anatomy, physio, microbio, etc in addition to the normal prereqs. Can I take them the semester after I apply and still be considered for admission (even though I won't submit a grade)?

yes ofc u can.

I always pronounced it "D--A--T" (no rhyme with "that").... In my interviews, conversing with fellow interviewees, admission people at schools, everyone. I can't call it "DAT"

Officially I say D-A-T, but ever since I heard that song "Dat Boy Chevy" I've been calling it "dat test DAT"

Thanks for the responses! I think I'll switch to saying D-A-T. I knew I'd get good answers here -- I was just scared to make a thread for something so... Dumb.

yes ofc u can.
sweet

How much should I expect to spend applying to 1 dental school?

I know that it varies by many variables...but just looking for a range here because I really have no point of view on this. I'm trying to pick schools to apply to but I don't know how "broadly" I should be applying.

1 dental school = $227 (+ supplemental fee)...each one after = ~$72 AADSAS designation + ~$70 supplemental fee for each school

= $142 each school after the first

Assuming you get an interview you must factor in plane flight + hotel (or try to stay with a friend / student to cut costs). If you're staying in a hotel you probably want to be in the city ample days to get a feel for the area and figure out if that is a place you would like to live.

sweet

How much should I expect to spend applying to 1 dental school?

I know that it varies by many variables...but just looking for a range here because I really have no point of view on this. I'm trying to pick schools to apply to but I don't know how "broadly" I should be applying.

I applied to 18 schools.... my aadsas fees alone was $1451 (yikes creditcard:eek:)

My 2ndary fees total came up to about.... $1500 (some schools thier 2ndary fee is $50 while others is $70+)

So far, $3000 dollars down and zero interviews.

Every interview you get (assuming they give you 3-4 weeks to use orbitz and great a great rate) will cost you approx $400-500 if you decide to fly/hotel.... Lucky for me, 3 of my 5 interviews I drove to them (2 were in-state, and buffalo is only 6 hours away).... The other two interviews: Temple cost me a good $450 and Nova only about $200 because I stayed with my cousin.