Stupid Questions/FAQ Thread 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My question:

People are saying that the average dental student will be in debt for 20-30 years with, lets say, 250k of debt.
Well lets say your making 80k a year when your out of dental school. What if your making 5,000$ payments every month, for the first few years... thats 60k a year. You would have your debt payed off in 4 years.
Or atleast 3-4K a month. I know what your thinking, if your making 80k, and giving away 60k, you only have 20k to live. But, if your living with your relatives or your parents for the first few years or something, i think i could make something like that work out. Or even living with my brother and my cousin, and just spending very little for those first few years, to eliminate a huge portion of my debt
Idk, any thought. I don't want to be in debt for 20-30 years. I'd rather starve myself for the first few years, pay off most/all of the debt, and then, do my thing...
Thoughts?

I'm not completely sure where you heard 20-30 years. I know most schools I've seen seem to look at loans in the 10-15 year range, but the majority being 10 years. I could be wrong, but I think that is a pretty common time frame to shoot for.

You're definitely correct though when it comes to paying it off: every person is going to be different. Some people will go out right away and blow a ton of money on nice things, while some will be content with keeping things simple until loans are paid off.

Members don't see this ad.

my questions
1- I finished general ed at a cc and finished just general chem1 there and I'm transferring to a 4 yr university this summer to start working my pre reqs, I want to know what would be a good major for pre dent, and do I need a minor, if so what would be a good one from everyone's experience?

2-Do most of you here plan on getting a bachelor's or just finishing pre reqs with good u.d. science classes? I plan to apply to pre dent as soon as I finish my pre reqs but continue with a bachelor's just in case I need to apply again the year after, is that good, what are most of you doing regarding that?

1- The general consensus is going to be to pick a major which you will enjoy. I always tell people that if you hate a major, even if it's easy, your grades will show. That said, a lot of people choose biology because most of the pre-reqs are satisfied by taking it so you can kill two birds with one stone. As far as minor, if you have time, pick one one. If you don't have time, don't worry about it. I just added one because I didn't want to graduate early since I was already going to be taking a year off. Make it something you enjoy.

2- Most people apply the summer after their junior year, are accepted during their senior year, graduate, and then attend dental school.

Good luck!

My question:

People are saying that the average dental student will be in debt for 20-30 years with, lets say, 250k of debt.
Well lets say your making 80k a year when your out of dental school. What if your making 5,000$ payments every month, for the first few years... thats 60k a year. You would have your debt payed off in 4 years.
Or atleast 3-4K a month. I know what your thinking, if your making 80k, and giving away 60k, you only have 20k to live. But, if your living with your relatives or your parents for the first few years or something, i think i could make something like that work out. Or even living with my brother and my cousin, and just spending very little for those first few years, to eliminate a huge portion of my debt
Idk, any thought. I don't want to be in debt for 20-30 years. I'd rather starve myself for the first few years, pay off most/all of the debt, and then, do my thing...
Thoughts?

250k is very optimistic.... don't forget to add the living expenses throughout dental school and your undergrad loans. When you tally everything up, it should reach 300k-400k for majority of us.

Here is a post that gives you an estimation of how you'll pay back loans based on how much money you make as an associate:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10689150&postcount=21

Members don't see this ad :)
Maygyver- yea, forsure. im the type that would starve for the first year to get a good chunk payed for, then slightly starve the next few years.

DW- thx, informational post

I'm planning on taking summer classes which end in early August.

Will the summer grades be calculated into my GPA when d-schools start scheduling for their first round of interviews?

Last edited:
I'm planning on taking summer classes which end in early August.

Will the summer grades be calculated into my GPA when d-schools start scheduling for their first round of interviews?

If you apply through addsas before your summer grades are out (meaning you hit the "submit" button)... answer is no

The earliest you can do an academic update is in mid November

Thanks maygyvr for the answers.

-I read somewhere that dental schools don't like summer classes for prereqs is that true, they say because they can't tell the quality of the course and labs because of the short time?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks maygyvr for the answers.

-I read somewhere that dental schools don't like summer classes for prereqs is that true, they say because they can't tell the quality of the course and labs because of the short time?

-I was at a comm. coll. for about 6 yrs on and off, finishing general ed. (I know embarrassing), but because I had circumstances, and I was undecided at that time, just last year I really started looking into dentistry, all of my grades are great 3.5 gpa, no failing, would it really hurt my chances that I stayed that long in a cc, also, do I need to repeat English1 and general Bio since I finished them 5 yrs ago, I'm just going to transfer this summer to 4 yr university to work on the rest of prereqs?

Thanks
Nope

when dental schools say full load of science, how many science classes per semester would be a full load? per year?

when dental schools say full load of science, how many science classes per semester would be a full load? per year?

I'd guess about 3-4 science courses a year.

I would think at least a couple classes a semester. I went to a quarter school so I'm not completely sure how things transfer, but I usually took at least 18 credits hours a quarter which was about 3-4 science courses at a time with a psychology class as well.

I would think at least a couple classes a semester. I went to a quarter school so I'm not completely sure how things transfer, but I usually took at least 18 credits hours a quarter which was about 3-4 science courses at a time with a psychology class as well.

you took 3-4 science classes a quarter?!?

how is that even possible?
and i was scared of how im going to be taking 2 sciences next quarter :confused:

My school has lecture (3 units) and lab (2 units), are you counting lab and lecture as one course?

Members don't see this ad :)
476515678234896-----how do you log into sdn everytime..........thats alot of numbers to memorize as your username.....

you took 3-4 science classes a quarter?!?

how is that even possible?
and i was scared of how im going to be taking 2 sciences next quarter :confused:

I think the majority would be 3, but there were a few quarters I had 4. Not that I didn't have a few quarters in there with only 2 as well though. I just enjoy science.

476515678234896: Some classes here split classes up like that, but some didn't. For my lower level intro courses they were just merged but I think organic was separate. For the most part I counted those as 1 course I believe.

I think the majority would be 3, but there were a few quarters I had 4. Not that I didn't have a few quarters in there with only 2 as well though. I just enjoy science.

That's awesome. I'm in my first science course in College and i'm trying my best to like it. So far, it's very interesting.

That's awesome. I'm in my first science course in College and i'm trying my best to like it. So far, it's very interesting.

:thumbup: I think the best way to do well in classes is to try to enjoy them, even if you hate it. It's easy to beat yourself down, but if you find your interests, classes are a lot easier. I never really thought of science classes as being that hard, as long as they were enjoyable.

:thumbup: I think the best way to do well in classes is to try to enjoy them, even if you hate it. It's easy to beat yourself down, but if you find your interests, classes are a lot easier. I never really thought of science classes as being that hard, as long as they were enjoyable.

In my expierience, it is very professor dependant on enjoyment of a class.. so make sure you do your research when choosing classes.. make sure to ask someone who has already had it, and use ratemyprofessor.com. This will help grades, moral, and your confidence in the long run.:)

Yea that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the advice man

In my expierience, it is very professor dependant on enjoyment of a class.. so make sure you do your research when choosing classes.. make sure to ask someone who has already had it, and use ratemyprofessor.com. This will help grades, moral, and your confidence in the long run.:)

Eh. I find that ratemyprofessor is mainly people complaining because they didn't do well. I've had classes with professors that everyone hated, but as long as you do your work, there isn't a problem. If you make the effort, professors notice and won't go out of their way to annoy you. It's all about adaptation.

I'm keeping this post going with my stupid questions,

- What is the best way to ask for job shadowing? I'm sick of these receptionists acting like like I'm begging for money not job shadowing, when I become a dentist I'll post a sign that "job shadowing for predents welcome".

-If I have an old general Bio. older than 5 yrs, is it best to repeat or take a more bios, since some schools don't want classes older than 5yrs.

And thanks for the answers everyone

- What is the best way to ask for job shadowing? I'm sick of these receptionists acting like like I'm begging for money not job shadowing, when I become a dentist I'll post a sign that "job shadowing for predents welcome".

-If I have an old general Bio. older than 5 yrs, is it best to repeat or take a more bios, since some schools don't want classes older than 5yrs.

I can't really answer the bio question. Your best shot would be to take some upper levels I think.

As far as shadowing, talk to your dentist about it. That's usually the best way in. After that, ask him/her if any of his/her friends would let you visit their office.

I can't really answer the bio question. Your best shot would be to take some upper levels I think.

As far as shadowing, talk to your dentist about it. That's usually the best way in. After that, ask him/her if any of his/her friends would let you visit their office.

my dentist said leave your number and they never called.:(

I would go again and politely ask. Say you left your name and number before and was curious if you would be able to shadow. Don't push it though. Maybe they just got busy and forgot. Some dentists don't like people shadowing though, for one reason or another. Make sure you go in person though.

I've heard a few people here on SDN go to like 10-15 offices until they finally get someone nice enough to say "yes". So, it is frustrating, but its something you have to do. Begging for shadowing is..... exactly what it is, you are benefiting from them while they are getting nothing from you. So don't be offended if they give you a little attitude or never call back, just be persistent and polite on those who promise to "call you back"... Remember, you need them more than they need you.

As far as bio pre-reqs go. Most schools don't care if you have them be older than 5 years. To be 100%sure, compile a list of all the schools you wanna apply to and call them / check their websites. The ones that want the pre-reqs be taken within last 5 years usually will be mentioned on the website.

Eh. I find that ratemyprofessor is mainly people complaining because they didn't do well. I've had classes with professors that everyone hated, but as long as you do your work, there isn't a problem. If you make the effort, professors notice and won't go out of their way to annoy you. It's all about adaptation.

Ya you have to pick through it.. and not the best source. That is why I first stated "talk to someone who has taken the class". you obvisouly used it too.. so that is why I stated this. All I'm saying is do all you can do to make sure you are taking what you are expecting.

A good example of mine... There were two orgo teachers at my school. I knew them prior and liked both.. so I initially didnt mind which class I got. After reading ratemyprofessor I found out that 1 professor tested very different. 4 test... Worth 25 points a piece, only 5 questions on each- Gave no partial credit. Nedless to say I got into the other class.

Just be smart about scheduling classes. You only have yourself to blame if it isn't what you expected

Ya you have to pick through it.. and not the best source. That is why I first stated "talk to someone who has taken the class". you obvisouly used it too.. so that is why I stated this. All I'm saying is do all you can do to make sure you are taking what you are expecting.

A good example of mine... There were two orgo teachers at my school. I knew them prior and liked both.. so I initially didnt mind which class I got. After reading ratemyprofessor I found out that 1 professor tested very different. 4 test... Worth 25 points a piece, only 5 questions on each- Gave no partial credit. Nedless to say I got into the other class.

Just be smart about scheduling classes. You only have yourself to blame if it isn't what you expected

Yeah, I definitely agree. It's very useful when used correctly and taken with a grain of salt.

1-Do people with families (two children), usually are able to live off student loans during dental school, of course tightly? is it the norm, good or bad? Because if the other spouse works, then we would be paying most of it for childcare so I can attend school, so why not just have the spouse stay with the children.

-any input from dental students with children would be greatly appreciated.

1-Do people with families (two children), usually are able to live off student loans during dental school, of course tightly? is it the norm, good or bad? Because if the other spouse works, then we would be paying most of it for childcare so I can attend school, so why not just have the spouse stay with the children.

-any input from dental students with children would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you can look up the COA for the school your interested in and see if the figures will work for you. There's a maximum amount that you can borrow from federal student aid but there are always private loans (but I'd avoid these at all costs!). I know that some schools will lend you extra money if you have small children.

Hi Guys,
California resident with family members in Texas. I am applying to all three dental schools there..... Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. I know Texas accepts 90% students from Texas. Any one on here from California that got accepted???? and any advice from anyone that might help my chances?

I am applying to so many schools that I can't keep count:) and willing to go anywhere But California and Texas are my choices:) due to family.

Please help and reply???

Thanks a whole bunch in Advance:)

im taking DAT on June 20

but i will submit my application on June 1st.

1) Will i still be considered early in the interview rounds ?

2) I am taking summer courses but they start june27-august 10th. how do i update those grades to aadsas ?

im taking DAT on June 20

but i will submit my application on June 1st.

1) Will i still be considered early in the interview rounds ?

2) I am taking summer courses but they start june27-august 10th. how do i update those grades to aadsas ?

for 1) I say yes
for 2) the only time you can update AADSAS (after hitting submit button) is during the "Academic update period"... This starts in Mid November till sometime in February

When D.schools say a student with a Bachelor's, Do they mean that by the time they APPLY they already have it or by the time D-school starts they will have it?

sorry if you've heard this a million times but if i'm applying in june but still have 1 more prereq to do (which i'll do this summer or fall) does that mean they're not going to see my grade til after interviews/acceptances/rejections? basically, do i have to try anymore after june!?!

When D.schools say a student with a Bachelor's, Do they mean that by the time they APPLY they already have it or by the time D-school starts they will have it?

That one. I say this because many applicants apply before their senior year starts.

sorry if you've heard this a million times but if i'm applying in june but still have 1 more prereq to do (which i'll do this summer or fall) does that mean they're not going to see my grade til after interviews/acceptances/rejections? basically, do i have to try anymore after june!?!

First off all, if its a pre-req class, you HAVE to earn a C grade (or higher) and you must show proof of this before matriculating.

As far as "trying" goes.... I wouldn't play with fire. Keep your performance at the same level before/after the acceptance. Many times, in the acceptance letter itself, a stipulation is put on the student to keep up with whatever course work they had planned out before the acceptance, the stipulation also states that the student needs to keep the same level of grades..... I dunno how serious they are, but I wouldn't wanna test them.

1. I'm preparing what I'm going to input into my "resume" on AADSAS and I'm unsure about the "Research Experience" section. Initially I thought I'd leave it blank because I don't have any research like other applicants have (with a PI, lab, etc) but I was wondering if it would be admissible to put in a research project that I did for a research psychology class?

I would be completely candid and say that it contributed to my grade, that it was not official or with a lab..but I'm curious because I don't want to leave an entire section completely blank and because I it was actually research.

2. I've done a couple searches and I keep finding different opinions. Can someone weigh in on what the general consensus is for putting high school ECs in things like "volunteer and community service activities", "work experience", "ECs/leadership positions", or "Manual Dexterity"?

1. I'm preparing what I'm going to input into my "resume" on AADSAS and I'm unsure about the "Research Experience" section. Initially I thought I'd leave it blank because I don't have any research like other applicants have (with a PI, lab, etc) but I was wondering if it would be admissible to put in a research project that I did for a research psychology class?

I would be completely candid and say that it contributed to my grade, that it was not official or with a lab..but I'm curious because I don't want to leave an entire section completely blank and because I it was actually research.

2. I've done a couple searches and I keep finding different opinions. Can someone weigh in on what the general consensus is for putting high school ECs in things like "volunteer and community service activities", "work experience", "ECs/leadership positions", or "Manual Dexterity"?

1. What all did your research project involve? I am going to bet that it probably wasn't enough to really count as research by their standards. If it is just researching information and compiling it, then I wouldn't even bother. If you did conduct your own experiment and spend a lot of time on it, I guess you can mark it down as long as you are candid, as you said. However, I think in general, any research that is part of a class usually doesn't get put on the application.

2. The rule of thumb, from what I've heard, is not to put high school stuff down for ECs, unless it is something you started when you were in high school and continued throughout your college career. Think of it this way: when you applied for college, did you put down things you did in early middle school?

1. What all did your research project involve? I am going to bet that it probably wasn't enough to really count as research by their standards. If it is just researching information and compiling it, then I wouldn't even bother. If you did conduct your own experiment and spend a lot of time on it, I guess you can mark it down as long as you are candid, as you said. However, I think in general, any research that is part of a class usually doesn't get put on the application.

This was while I was taking a "Research Psychology" class at community college (psychology and cc are probably the worst words in that sentence :D).

I conducted my own experiments with weekly meetings with my professor (who I know extremely well and is writing me the non-science LOR). Without going into too much detail, I basically did field research on test taking abilities under different conditions and presented my results in a 10 page research paper to the class.

I dunno, it was research and I did do a lot of work for it but at the same time, it's the farthest thing away on the spectrum of research from what AdComs see in the ~50% of applications that report it.

2. The rule of thumb, from what I've heard, is not to put high school stuff down for ECs, unless it is something you started when you were in high school and continued throughout your college career. Think of it this way: when you applied for college, did you put down things you did in early middle school?
Thanks, that makes since. Because of this though, it looks like I might leave some spaces blank...Should I just get involved in some stuff within the next 2 months or is leaving it blank not a big deal?

so my stupid question is:

How do SDN ppl know whether they received a Good LOR or not?

I thought it was confidential, that gets sent directly to the schools or AADAS.

so my stupid question is:

How do SDN ppl know whether they received a Good LOR or not?

I thought it was confidential, that gets sent directly to the schools or AADAS.

They don't. Unless they are very good friends with the letter writer who lets them read it. But yes, it is confidential. The writer will upload it to AADSAS, and the applicant will just see "uploaded" or "sent" or something along those lines. People usually just assume they have a good LOR if it is someone they have worked with for awhile or know very well.

which physics is required for the dental prereqs, calc based or non-calc based?

thanks

which physics is required for the dental prereqs, calc based or non-calc based?

thanks

Every school I've looked at is okay with either. Mine were from 2001 & 2002 and were calc-based. No complaints

ty

-I read that when you take the DAT you list the schools that you want to send the scores to, how do you decide about these schools since you don't know your DAT scores yet?

ty

-I read that when you take the DAT you list the schools that you want to send the scores to, how do you decide about these schools since you don't know your DAT scores yet?

Just pick the schools you want to apply to. Generally you know what you are capable of. Your DAT scores shouldn't really affect where you apply to. Just apply to where you want to go..

Question:

How many personal messages (maximum) can your account hold?

Mine is saying 250, but I coulda sworn it used to be ALOT less when I first signed up. Do they give you more room the longer you stay?

thanks maygyvr.

-I want to register for the fall for Orgo I, but for some reason there is Lecture and REC only without lab, I guess it's offered in a different semester, would it be ok to take the lab on a different semester, anyone did that before, or maybe I read something wrong and should ask an advisor?

thanks maygyvr.

-I want to register for the fall for Orgo I, but for some reason there is Lecture and REC only without lab, I guess it's offered in a different semester, would it be ok to take the lab on a different semester, anyone did that before, or maybe I read something wrong and should ask an advisor?

I would double check with an advisor. I went to a quarter system, so it was a little different, but there were only 2 ochem labs and 3 lectures so the first lecture was taken without a lab.

From the AADSAS Instruction Booklet:
AADSAS calculates your GPA and reports it in a number of ways:
• BCP GPA: All undergraduate courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry and Physics
are used in computing this GPA.
• Science GPA: All undergraduate courses identified on your transcript as Biology, Chemistry, Physics,
Math and Other Science is used in computing this GPA.
• Non-science GPA: All undergraduate courses not used in calculating the Science GPA are used to
compute this GPA

--------------------------

okay so intro to Psychology counts as science GPA right ?

i also took this course called, HSC 4504 Public Health Immunology and its one of the required courses for Biomedical science degree. is it also in science GPA ?

what about nutrition online course ?

im trying to raise my science gpa up