Sub-Internship (IM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avengers99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How essential is a sub-internship prior to applying? Long story short - our school's lottery did not work out as I hoped and I will not be able to complete a home sub-I prior to October. Should I try and get away with just doing a subspecialty elective at my home institution (eg, ICU)? Or should I try and land an away sub-internship (which to me sounds too risky)?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you ask your school to make an exception for you? I feel like someone applying to IM should get precedence in medicine sub-Is over people doing subspecialties. Next best I think would be a MICU elective. An away sub-I sounds risky (you're bound to seem dumb at least sometimes just because you don't know where the ED is and the 3rd years do).

Reactions: 1 users
Can you ask your school to make an exception for you? I feel like someone applying to IM should get precedence in medicine sub-Is over people doing subspecialties. Next best I think would be a MICU elective. An away sub-I sounds risky (you're bound to seem dumb at least sometimes just because you don't know where the ED is and the 3rd years do).
I'm pending a response from them - in the meantime, I'm trying to plan for the current (worst-case) scenario. I think a MICU elective is probably what I'll resort to if it doesn't work out. Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Make your program let you do your SubI earlier. Your entire job as a 4th year is to match. And your school’s only real priority for 4th years should be to make that happen.

2. If the above fails, GI for a MICU elective.

Away rotation has a lot of potential pitfalls as you point out and clearly understand. Also, a great LOR from an away is fantastic. But if it doesn’t come alongside a great LOR from your home SubI, there will be questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Is an away Sub-I necessary? My school doesnt do Sub-I, theyre just termed "auditions".. As of now I am only planning on doing an at home-audition. Will only have in house letters of rec (Program chair, department of medicine, then a PhD letter I did research with). Should I be doing an away sub-I for a letter?

Is an away Sub-I necessary? My school doesnt do Sub-I, theyre just termed "auditions".. As of now I am only planning on doing an at home-audition. Will only have in house letters of rec (Program chair, department of medicine, then a PhD letter I did research with). Should I be doing an away sub-I for a letter?
Get a letter from the “audition” attending ...though how tacky to call it that...true but still tacky...

Reactions: 1 user
Get a letter from the “audition” attending ...though how tacky to call it that...true but still tacky...

Just to be clear, other programs wont fault me for not doing an away sub-I, correct?