Submitted co-first author paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCSB6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My third publication, and first paper as a first author ( although it is co-first) was submitted last week to a pretty high impact journal. Based on our track record and reputation as a lab, the work is likely to be accepted. My question: my top choice school (already interviewed at) will make their decision on my application within the next week and a half. Should I send an update with the publication abstract and status? Or is it worthless not having it accepted yet?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Send an update when it gets accepted. Your best outcomes for the school are either getting accepted (moot point) or getting put on the waitlist (at which point, the update letter will help).

Send an update when it gets accepted. Your best outcomes for the school are either getting accepted (moot point) or getting put on the waitlist (at which point, the update letter will help).

While I do agree with you, I think OP's issue is that the school is deciding on him next week so waiting for publication acceptance would be the same as just not mentioning it.

OP, I seriously doubt a third publication is going to really make or break the school's decision if you've already shown you have a long track record and commitment to research. However, I do understand that you are probably going to over think these things and worry about it more than necessary. Additionally, if you get rejected from the school you'll always sit around and think, "if only I had told them X..."

If you're worried about it, then update them on the submission. They might not care, but I don't think it will make you look bad in anyway to shoot them an e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your thoughts. Both were really helpful!! If I do decide to send an update letter, would it be wise/beneficial to attach a PDF for the submitted abstract, or is this worthless considering that it isn't on the journal's letterhead (again, not published yet).

You submitted it to a high-impact journal, and I asked a supermodel out on a date.

I'd wait until you had confirmation of acceptance before you send an update.

Just a thought, if you want to send it as a quick update, why not get a small note from your PI, and if possible send a PDF of the manuscript. It may not make a big difference but at least will give you another chance to show your interest in the school by saying "hey I really want to go here, by the way I've just submitted a manuscript"