Submitted Incomplete Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBigTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the AADSAS application right now and my FAP fee waiver expires in 4 days. This means I must submit the application before that deadline for my fee waiver to be applied.

What I have remaining:
  • Letters of Recommendation (only started asking now and 1 professor has said he wont write any until late December and another 1 has said end of August)
  • Personal Statement
  • DAT --> planning to take it end of August
  • supplemental statements for each individual school
If I submit my application without these things completed (most likely will be able to complete personal statement), will schools instantly reject me or do they not see my application until it is fully completed? Can I go back and add/remove letters of recommendation afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can submit the aadsas then submit letters, DAT scores and supplementals after. Only thing you need to complete in order to submit is the personal statement and supplementals from schools like NYU that have the supplemental with the aadsas. However, your app wont be reviewed until every requirement is in so it's still incomplete. My advice is to submit when you're ready and well wrriten; and don't wait for a letter if it won't be in until December. There should have been more planning before even applying for the FAP but hindsight is 2020. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm working on the AADSAS application right now and my FAP fee waiver expires in 4 days. This means I must submit the application before that deadline for my fee waiver to be applied.

What I have remaining:
  • Letters of Recommendation (only started asking now and 1 professor has said he wont write any until late December and another 1 has said end of August)
  • Personal Statement
  • DAT --> planning to take it end of August
  • supplemental statements for each individual school
If I submit my application without these things completed (most likely will be able to complete personal statement), will schools instantly reject me or do they not see my application until it is fully completed? Can I go back and add/remove letters of recommendation afterwards?
What is your Gpa and some of your extracurriculars? Are they both very, very strong? The reason I am asking is because if you have average stats or even slightly below, you are very unlikely to hear back from any schools if your application is complete in late December. You should have definitely asked earlier for your LOR's as it can take a couple of days/weeks for the application to be recognized as complete once you get that final letter of recommendation in December (i.e. app may be considered complete in January). I personally would just ask another professor in lieu of the one that won't have letter ready until late December. Even if you crush the DAT, your timing will put you in a vulnerable position and at a significant disadvantage to those applicants who applied much earlier.

In summary, try getting another professor to write your LOR letter, submit everything else asap. If you choose to wait til late December, do not be surprised at not hearing back from schools. Be ready to reapply and work on strengthening your application (i.e. dental assistant) in case it comes to that point. Good luck to you, I wish you the best truly. You can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your Gpa and some of your extracurriculars? Are they both very, very strong? The reason I am asking is because if you have average stats or even slightly below, you are very unlikely to hear back from any schools if your application is complete in late December. You should have definitely asked earlier for your LOR's as it can take a couple of days/weeks for the application to be recognized as complete once you get that final letter of recommendation in December (i.e. app may be considered complete in January). I personally would just ask another professor in lieu of the one that won't have letter ready until late December. Even if you crush the DAT, your timing will put you in a vulnerable position and at a significant disadvantage to those applicants who applied much earlier.

In summary, try getting another professor to write your LOR letter, submit everything else asap. If you choose to wait til late December, do not be surprised at not hearing back from schools. Be ready to reapply and work on strengthening your application (i.e. dental assistant) in case it comes to that point. Good luck to you, I wish you the best truly. You can do it.
Thanks! I've realized this and will try to get everything by September but I estimate it will be completed by mid September. I also plan to take the DAT early September so hopefully I have everything mid September.

I have 190+ hours shadowing and assisting in dental at a hospital. I have 200+ hours in emergency room at the hospital as well. 3.69 GPA with no DAT score yet (plan to take it in early September)

They will not instant reject you, just put your application on hold until everything is together. However, some schools have expressed that they will review applications before getting your DAT score BUT they will need everything else together. That includes your letters of recommendation. Find someone else that will write a letter sooner.

They will not instant reject you, just put your application on hold until everything is together. However, some schools have expressed that they will review applications before getting your DAT score BUT they will need everything else together. That includes your letters of recommendation. Find someone else that will write a letter sooner.
Sooner than September? I have one who said mid August and my public speaking professor who agreed to early September (I feel like his letter would be amazing for me). I still need to find one more science professor for the committee letter. All 3 of these will go into the committee letter by early September. I wish I had started a month earlier cause a friend of mine was able to secure all 3 letters from the same professors I asked right away.

Sooner than September? I have one who said mid August and my public speaking professor who agreed to early September (I feel like his letter would be amazing for me). I still need to find one more science professor for the committee letter. All 3 of these will go into the committee letter by early September. I wish I had started a month earlier cause a friend of mine was able to secure all 3 letters from the same professors I asked right away.

The sooner the better. I don’t know how your school handles committee letters but mine can give interviews before getting DAT scores then finalize the letter after they got my scores. That took a few weeks and they still need a minimum of three letters of recommendation before they can give the interview. Even after the interview, they can update the committee letter for additional letters of recommendation.

Last edited: