Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vweezy04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you medical students could post your success stories, to give inspiration to the inspiring upcoming med students.. did any of you start of in maybe public school , maybe had it rough in high school, and perhaps maybe did a few years in community college, and prove yourself in undergrad and the mcat, and made it in to an ivy league med school? do you think it is possible?

Members don't see this ad.

vweezy04 said:
Just wondering if you medical students could post your success stories, to give inspiration to the inspiring upcoming med students.. did any of you start of in maybe public school , maybe had it rough in high school, and perhaps maybe did a few years in community college, and prove yourself in undergrad and the mcat, and made it in to an ivy league med school? do you think it is possible?

Hi there.

I would recommend you read Dr. Ben Carson's autobiography.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310214696/002-9265339-2468814?v=glance&n=283155

0310214696.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

From the 'dumbest student in class' to becoming chief of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins at the age of 33, his story is nothing short of amazing.

It really shows that despite all, nothing is impossible if you believe it's possible.

thanks so much.. i have read the book and it is more than amazing, but he had a better start than me because he went to yale for undergraduate school and i went to community college for the two years of college due to expenses

Members don't see this ad :)
vweezy04 said:
thanks so much.. i have read the book and it is more than amazing, but he had a better start than me because he went to yale for undergraduate school and i went to community college for the two years of college due to expenses

There are tons of people like that.
I do not think that my story is that special and I did not go to Ivy, but I did 2 years at CC (b/c I di not speak English, and could not afford 4-year college), then transfered to UCLA and got into Hopkins Som (not Ivy league though, but still OK;))

Search for a thread with "community colege" or junior college or transfer from JC in the name, there was a topic like that.

And nobody has ever asked me or mentioned that I went JC at interviews, I do not think it came up or maybe there were so many people like me. If it did it was a positive thing: managed to transfer to UCLA, blah, blah, blah.

Though personally I think that it is easier to trasfer than get in as a freshman.

I met a guy who had profound cerebral palsy and went on to earn a PhD. I then proceeded to kick his ass in scrabble.

Do a search, tons of people have overcome difficulties to make it into med school. Just check in the nontrad forum for some really extraordinary stories.

Wow, he has been awarded 24 honorary degrees. :eek: :idea:

How could he get 21 honorary doctorate degrees? I don't understand how he can have so many with the way the academic system is set up. Did he transfer classes all over the place to fulfill degree requirements or something?

I will say this at risk of exposing who I am.

Half of my high school dropped out. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA. Did two years of CC after a year of "finding myself"=Warehouse, secretary, door to door salesman, etc...

There are many ways to get to medical school.

jonathon said:
Wow, he has been awarded 24 honorary degrees. :eek: :idea:

How could he get 21 honorary doctorate degrees? I don't understand how he can have so many with the way the academic system is set up. Did he transfer classes all over the place to fulfill degree requirements or something?
Speakers at convocations (graduations) will often be awarded a degree, and Dr Carson's story is a very motivational one.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An honorary degree [1] (Latin: honoris causa ad gradum, not to be confused with an honours degree) is an academic degree awarded to an individual as a decoration, rather than as the result of matriculating and studying for several years. An honorary degree may be conferred by an institution that the recipient never attended.

RxnMan said:
Speakers at convocations (graduations) will often be awarded a degree, and Dr Carson's story is a very motivational one.