Successful Applicants 2012 Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy cow VAGirl, I want your masters! And your experiences are so unique and interesting!! Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

VAgirl, I totally agree with hoodle, your experiences sound so interesting! I'm bummed that me not going to vet school this year means we won't be classmates. But, hopefully I'll be starting at Davis in Fall '09 and you guys can show me the ropes? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems kind of self-centered, but I guess that is the point. This is not my whole application (obviously :D), only the things that I think set me apart in the applicant pool. I will also repeat what I have said before: I think having a PhD helped me (especially since it meshes with my career goals), but you still need the other stats to even get looked at for most schools. For those out there with PhDs, I would recommend thinking hard about how your research training will benefit vet med and how vet med will benefit your research. Interviewers will be very tempted to ask you "why vet school and not a post-doc?"

Education

BS Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
PhD Cell Biology (Most important PhD stats: 2 publications, 3 more expected before August, even mix of first and second authorships).

Stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Grad GPA: 3.9 (most schools I applied to don't count grad GPA in cum GPA)
GRE: Q:760 V: 530 (ha, I suck at verbal) =0)

Experience
1. Research (enough hours to make me qualify for super-nerd status :D, both undergrad and grad combined is @ least 10,000 hours)
2. Small animal clinic shadowing (~1200 hours at two GP clinics)
3. State veterinary pathology lab (~600 hours)

Animal
0 hours (HA! I have tons of pet experience, but didn't list any of it since most schools didn't seem to want to see it)

Other Stuff
1. 2 year church mission to Moscow, Russia (LDS church) (fluent in Russian)
2. Numerous awards for research including an NIH pre-doctoral fellowship
3. blah blah blah :)

LORs
1. My mentor (PhD, department chairperson, prominent scientist)
2. SA Vet that I have shadowed the past 2 years
3. Dissertation committee member (PhD) (recently moved to become the head of comparative oncology at the UCD vet school :D)

Schools
1. Auburn IS (accepted)
2. Cornell OOS (waitlisted)
3. Iowa State OOS (accepted)
4. Kansas State OOS (accepted)
5. Penn OOS (accepted) (scholarship) (going here :D)

yay, supernerds! Bobdog - hooray for you!

Aww, thanks for the support, guys. :)

pups--I certainly hope we see you at Davis in Fall '09!
lailanni--I don't think I want to do research. If I do, it'd be clinical research; I have discovered that benchwork is not for me.

Hey Bobdog, when did you finish undergrad? I know this is a nosy question, but I'm so curious and hopefully you won't mind. Also, I can't believe Cornell waitlisted you. Fools. You are a very impressive applicant. :)

Hey Bobdog, when did you finish undergrad? I know this is a nosy question, but I'm so curious and hopefully you won't mind. Also, I can't believe Cornell waitlisted you. Fools. You are a very impressive applicant. :)

I finished undergrad in December 2002 and started grad school Fall 2003.

I guess it's my turn. :rolleyes: I'll take all the info from my VMCAS and put it on here. Though I think I missed a lot of information that I should have put on the app -- it's really hard to remember things!

21 year old female, Maine resident, 1st time applying

Education and Numbers
BS Biology with minor in Chemistry, lowest tier public state school :oops:
Member of the Honors College (so am doing an honors thesis)
Undergrad GPA: 3.70
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.90 (I think ... I'm not doing it out again! Might have been higher?)

GRE: 550V, 720Q

Vet Experience
= I think this was my weakest part but it didn't come up in interviews.
100 hrs with DVM/PhD doing research (mucociliary clearance in the mare)
100 hrs small animal clinic
100 hrs doing dairy cow work
400 hrs working as a specimen collector at the track with vet present
150 hrs with equine vet

Animal Experience
10,000+ hrs with horses - competed in eventing at the upper levels with a self made horse, as well as dressage in the upper levels (3rd level) with the same horse. Also am bringing along a fancy off the track Thoroughbred. I have done A LOT with horses! I definitely know my way around them. ;)

300 hrs at a research lab (PhD researcher) - researched endangered freshwater fish in the nearby river, took care of research fish, etc etc

200 hrs at a different research lab (with PhD researcher) - worked with experimental saltwater fish in the Aquaculture Research Center, mainly took care of experimental fish but also assisted with different projects.

I also have lots of personal animal experience with cats and dogs but I didn't list it on the VMCAS application.

Employment Experience
500 hrs working at Subway :p
100 hrs (at the time of app submission) working at the oldest manufacturer of paddles and oars (Shaw & Tenney) as an oar leather-er. :D Hey, it gives me some extra cash!

Honors and Awards
Phi Beta Kappa (though this is recent, not on VMCAS)
Presidential Academic Acheivement Pin
Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Always a Dean's List student
And LOTS of high school honors (ie. National Honor Society, awards won, etc etc)
Also 4 different scholarships received during college (saved a lot of money with these)
... There are more but I don't think I need to list them!

Extracurricular
Some sports during high school (tennis, field hockey) and clubs in HS
President of the Biology Club for two years in college
Appointed as Chair of the Student Advisory Committee
An active member of lots more clubs (4+) ... blah blah!

LORs
1 from the track vet I worked with - he's 80 something and a neat guy to talk to. (paper)
1 from PhD/DVM researcher I worked with - I took a class and was doing research with him (elec)
1 from the vet who I did cow work with and some small animal. REALLY cool guy!!! (elec)

For Tufts I couldn't submit the track vet's paper one since it was sent to VMCAS and I didn't want him to write another so I had my advisor (PhD in Biology) write one. He knows me well so I think it should have been good.

Vet Schools
Cornell = accepted
Tufts = accepted
UPenn = accepted
Purdue = accepted
Ohio State = accepted

I'm sure I'm missing a lot but that's the gist of things. :oops: Word of advice = list the CORRECT e-mail address on your app!!!! :eek:

Awesome stuff

Hey, I didn't know you were my age! I got my first BS in 2004, but would have in 2003 if I didn't totally screw up the first year and a half and need to take 2 semesters off. :p

I'm so happy for everyone here, especially those of you who have been around for this entire cycle and posted so much great information and feedback, and ESPECIALLY those who have posted in this thread, since it obviously takes some guts to put yourself out there like that. So THANK YOU to everybody who posted here so far. Seeing all the variation in experience and numbers really gives hope to all of us, I think. :)

I've been watching this thread for ages, but I wanted to hear back from all my schools before finally posting.

I'm a first-time applicant, 21, senior in college.
Undergrad: Biology major, chemistry and environmental studies minor, cum gpa 3.757
GRE: 800 Q, 640 V, 5.0 writing

Experience:
800 hours of biomedical research from high school in a nephrology lab
700 hours over two summers of small animal vet experience at two different hospitals
250 hours of animal experience at a shelter
500 hours of animal experience giving meds at a shelter (I was hoping to use this for vet experience, but it wasn't under a vet, so I had to put it as animal)
100 hours shadowing a large animal vet
300 hours volunteering/shadowing at an avian and exotic animal hospital

Extra curriculars: tutoring kids in a disadvantaged high school, Chemistry club, brazilian jiu jitsu club, volunteering at random Indian cultural events (my parents are involved in some organizations, so I get "volunteered")

Applied: Cornell (IS), U Penn, Tufts, Minnesota, Illinois, Tennessee, RVC

Rejected before interview: Cornell, Minnesota, Penn (but they DID send that damn postcard!)

Rejected after interview: Tufts

Waitlisted: Illinois

Accepted: RVC, Tennessee:love:

I went in feeling very average. My GPA/GRE was maybe a tad bit higher than average at some schools, but not by that much, and I definitely didn't feel like I had the experience to compete with others. The whole time, I was trying to stay upbeat and roll with the punches, but by the end it sort of sucked. Getting rejected from your top choice school three times (I know it sounds odd, but each time I got rejected I picked a new top choice) really sucked, but I am glad that I really do love Tennessee and in a way, things have kind of worked out for the best. As much as they love and support me, I really need to be away from my family and live on my own, and I don't have ANY family in Tennessee.

In retrospect, I perhaps should have kept OSU on that list, but the cost was :eek:.

So I like many others have been watching this thread and procrastinating putting anything up here myself..but here it goes!

I'm a first-time applicant, 22 years old, Arizona/WICHE applicant, but sort of non traditional because I was pre-med until junior year of college (I just had a little experience at a small animal clinic in high school). I just worked pretty hard to gain experience for about a year an a half.

Education/Stats:
BSE Biomedical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH); May 2007
Undergrad GPA: 3.74
GRE: 510V, 710Q

Vet Experience:
160 Hrs at Horse Clinic
25 Hrs at standardbred racetrack
850 Hrs Small Animal clinic (2 diff ones- one in high school and one for a few months in college)

Animal Experience:
200 Hrs Wildlife Management/Game Capture in South Africa
30 Hrs Animal Shelter (I had just started when I sent in the application)

Employment Experience:
900 Hrs Tissue Engineering research at Case

Honors/Awards:
Deans Honors/High Honors each semester (our system is just GPA based = no thesis- everyone does a research project)
Case Western Alumni scholarship
Music Achievement Award (I was a double major in music but had to quit because of a hand problem)
Biomed. Engr Honor Society/Frat
From high school I had a ton of music award stuff

Extracurriculars:
College: Student government, Biomedical Engineering Society, hospital volunteering, medical (human)service trip to Costa Rica/Panama, woodwind quintet. High School: varsity soccer, lots of music stuff…

LORs
Equine vet I worked with in Cleveland (DVM)
Research advisor (PhD) in college
Engineering teacher who was awesome (PhD)

Applied/Interviewed:
Colorado State, Washington State, Oregon State, UC Davis, Illinois, Purdue (Awkwardly enough, I admit that I backed out of a bunch of school applications because I had a complete breakdown about whether or not I would get into vet school and if I should just switch back to human med during the fall so I have not idea how those schools would have responded towards me :oops:)

Rejected (after interview):
UC Davis

Accepted:
Colorado State, Washington State, Oregon State, Illinois, Purdue

This year (I graduated last year), I became interested in Public Health so most of my interview conversations were regarding PH, research that I started on multiple sclerosis on mice this year, more shelter work, PH classes I started...

My Davis interview was pretty weird though- they had my name right when I walked into the room, but during the interview, they mistook me for someone else twice!! (first they thought I went to Purdue, and then a different interview person thought I had a patent! I was pissed, but you don't really want to be rude and yell them even though it was totally their fault they were messing up my interview). Oh well, no bitterness here! :rolleyes: Haha, nah, I am very happy and fortunate to get to go to such a wonderful school as CSU :love:

Congrats, greenie, those are great stats. Are you IS/OOS/WICHE for CSU??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! :) Yeah, I'm WICHE so I just applied to all those western schools.

22 year old, 1st time applying

GPA, GRE, etc
double major in Animal Science and Pathobiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.86
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.86ish
member of the Honors program

GRE: 600V, 680Q; 560 V, 760Q, Writing 6.0 both times

Vet Experience (at the time of application)
3500 hrs working at a small animal hospital (3 different hospitals)
180 hrs shadowing a small animal vet
16 hours shadowing an equine vet :)

I have worked nonstop since I was 16, with the exception of my freshman year. Some of the interviewers complimented me on my experience, since I maintained a high credit load and worked a lot.

Animal Experience
30 hrs dog rescue
650 hrs kennel
I didn't add this, but have thousands of hours working with horses, it came up though in my PS that I had a horse, and was brought up in interviews

2 semesters of research on IBV
I also didn't add this, but I showed a chicken for a class, which was brought up in interviews

Employment Experience
100 hrs notetaking for students with disabilities

Honors and Awards
various school awards
2006 and 2007 American Society of Animal Science Undergraduate Award (this is awarded to many people)

Extracurricular
horseback riding
agricultural sorority

LORs
4- I am indecisive
2 from my advisors/professors, one is a phd, the other a DVM
2 from the vets at work

Vet Schools
Accepted: Tufts, Penn, Purdue, Kansas, Iowa, Ohio
Declined Interview: PEI
Rejected no interview: Minnesota
Rejected after interview: Florida
They asked me what schools I got into, and then if I didn't get into Florida if I would decline my admission offers to wait a year and reapply. I don't know if that hurt me or not, but I was honest and said probably not, although FL was my favorite. I didn't feel like I should lie to make myself seem better though.

I applied to 9 school cause I wanted to make sure I got in and I have no IS. I didn't think I would have the success that I did, so I decided not to pick a favorite school, and instead would have the schools decide for me (i.e. by the rejections). This made my MN rejection real easy, but because I didn't have a favorite I went on all but 1 interview because I didn't know what I wanted. It was a great experience though, and makes all of the late nights studying/skipped social events worth it :)

Nice, winglessflight. :) So, do you know where you're headed yet?

That is the question of the week, haha. Like I said, I am terribly indecisive.

I have narrowed it down to Iowa or Purdue I think. CT made a contract with IA in November, so I would get $20,000 off tuition next year. Although not voted in for successive years yet, its looking like it will be $20,000 a year for all four. I did like it there a lot, and they have rehabilitation which I am interested in.

I like Purdue a lot too, as they see some reptiles in the hospital, which I am also interested in, as well as some pocket pets. Its also a little closer to home, which I like and would be easier with my horse. The class size is a little better for me too.

I am just trying to decide if I can justify spending about 80k more to go to Purdue because of the reptile thing or not, especially since I did like Iowa. My guess is I will be at Iowa, but I'm not positive yet.

Rejected after interview: Florida
They asked me what schools I got into, and then if I didn't get into Florida if I would decline my admission offers to wait a year and reapply. I don't know if that hurt me or not, but I was honest and said probably not, although FL was my favorite. I didn't feel like I should lie to make myself seem better though.

That seems kind of lame for them to ask, to be honest. Congratulations on all of your success and good luck with your decision, though. :)

Yeah, I understand that they want to make sure I just wasn't trying to rack in the acceptances (which I wasn't). Earlier when they asked about what schools i got into, they said "and you decided to still come here" i explained that I didn't think I should choose my school based on who let me know first, and also because I am interested in exotics that Florida was the best school of the ones I applied for that, therefore a top choice. They said they wouldn't take my answer into account, but I think its something thats hard not to.

At the same time, I could have just been rejected because they had better candidates, as there were some great people interviewing. I have weaknesses (no large animal, little exotics, etc) that they may just have disliked.

26 year old, non-traditional, 1st time applicant

Degree & GPA
BS in Kinesiology, Minor in Coaching
Undergrad GPA: 3.35
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.5ish?

GRE: 610V, 720Q, 4.5 AW (I knew I was screwed when the first essay wasn't so great...at least I got what I needed!)

175 hrs Vet Assistant
75 hrs The Raptor Center volunteer in the clinic
75 hours Wildlife Rehabilitation Center volunteer
250 hrs Research 2001-2002 (the article was published & I received a named credit, which is alway nifty!:))
120 hrs receptionist at vet clinic (in 2001)
240 hrs shadowing a small animal vet (in 1999-2000)

Animal Experience
Just having pets all my life.

Employment Experience
3.5 years as a Personal Trainer & Group Fitness Instructor (I accidentally put 50,000 instead of 5000 hours! :lol:)
2 yrs high school Varsity dance team coach (about 2000 hrs)
1 year assistant dance team coach
300 hrs Fitness Attendent at a club

Honors and Awards
various school awards- athletics, academic, and band

Extracurricular
fitness/ran a few marathons
volunteering (women's organization, fundraising coordinator for Relay For Life, etc.)
SCUBA diving
international travel

LORs
3-5 (depending on what the school required)
1- veterinarian I work for (who is also a personal training client)
1- athletic director from the high school I coached at for 2 years
1- high school teacher who I have been close with since 1999
(I also added in 2 college professors for schools that required science instructor LORs: 1 current, given I graduated college in 2004, and 1 from when I was in college)

Vet Schools
Accepted: Royal Veterinary College (London), Iowa State (off the OOS waitlist, #17) and MINNESOTA (off the waitlist #1, IS) :D
Rejected: Colorado, Kansas, Tufts, UPenn, Wisconsin (all were expected)

Initially I was only going to apply to Mn (my IS school) because I'm married and we have a home and my family is here, but my husband and I discussed it and figured it was best to maximize my chances. I didn't want to waste another year.

All I heard from practically everyone was "You won't get in your first time" and I'm glad they were wrong! Almost exactly 1 year ago (it as the begining of March, 2007) I decided I was going to go back to school, finish my 5 pre-reqs and get into vet school. AND I DID IT! :D

My stats are not spectacular by any means (barely even average) but I think my work experience outside of the field helped make up for other things (as well as being more certain than ever that this is the direction I want my life to go).

I knew you were getting in!!! And don't bring yourself down about your stats... so what, your GPA is a little lower than average, but your GRE is awesome (waaay more than I can say about my GRE) and your experiences are unique! You are clearly a spectacular candidate (as we've discussed so many times :D) with an acceptance at RVC and a pending acceptance at MN!

CONGRATS! You go, girl! :hardy:

Employment Experience
3.5 years as a Personal Trainer & Group Fitness Instructor (I accidentally put 50,000 instead of 5000 hours! :lol:)

My friend from HS used to be a personal trainer before she started DO school. I think that's great! WTG getting in! You deserve it!

Thanks guys!

I think being out of school a while helped me but that's not always the case.

I knew my stats weren't fantabulous and I'm ok with that. I thought "If I can just get an interview I can sell myself"-- until I actually GOT to the interviews! I guess it went ok though:oops:

I'm 22 and a first time applicant

GPA, GRE, etc
Major: Biology
Undergrad GPA: 3.82
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.85

GRE: 540V, 610Q, 4 W

~600 hours at a small animal hospital

Animal Experience
~200 hours milking cows at a dairy

Employment Experience
~1500 hours as a waitress, paid undergraduate research

Honors and Awards
Outstanding Junior Award for the Biology Dept
academic scholarships
Nomination to teach organic chemistry laboratory
Undergraduate research award

Extracurricular
Chemistry Club (treasurer), Tri-Beta Biological Honor Society, Pre-Vet Society, undergraduate research in biology, o chem tutoring

LORs
Undergraduate research advisor
O Chem 1 professor
Vet I worked for

Vet Schools
Applied: University of Tennessee
Interviewed & Accepted: University of Tennessee

I was worried about not having as much experience as others, but it worked out, and I am so happy!:D

So, after reading everyone else's amazing stats, I'm a little confused as to how on earth I actually got into school, but who's complaining? :D I was pre-med track through high school and my first 2 years of undergrad...I only came to my senses and chose vet med a little over a year ago, hence the weak experience hours...but here goes:

I'm 20 (flew through my undergrad in 3 years) and a first time applicant.

Degree/GPA:
Biology, B.S., minor in Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.6ish???
Last 45 hours: 3.75

GRE: 560 Q (math=not my thing), 730 V, 5.5 AW

Vet Experience: (at the time of application)
~80 hours shadowing at a small animal clinic
~20 hours shadowing a zoo vet
~100 hours as a zoo intern
~120 hours paid research ("Canada lynx scat analysis"--yes, I spent the whole time playing with poop...it's in the process of publication though!)

Animal Experience:
~20 hours as a zoo docent
~50 hours volunteering at the local animal shelter
~30 hours providing pet therapy at area nursing homes

Work Experience:
~800 hrs as a certified nursing assistant
~3000 hrs cash audit/customer service at Gander Mtn. (I've been there for almost 5 years now....GAH...:hungover:)

Honors & Awards:
Dean's List (not as often as I would like)
Lots of scholarships/awards from H.S.

Extracurricular:
A bunch of sports, band, etc. from H.S.
Undergraduate research w/the same prof. I did my paid research with
Teaching Nordic ski classes for 4-5 year olds

LORs:
1 from my academic advisor
1 from the DVM I shadow
1 from my research advisor

Vet Schools:
Applied: Iowa State, U of MN
Rejected no interview: U of MN (I.S., OUCH :scared:)
Interviewed: Iowa State

Accepted (and attending): Iowa State!!!!

Brassie...what are you talking about? Your stats are awesome! Especially for how little time you've known what you want to do!
Congrats! :)

Thanks...and the same to you:D!!!

25 years old, trad/non-trad?, first time applicant

Education and ScoresBS Biology/Pre-Med, Cabrini College
Undergrad GPA: 3.69
Last 45 hours GPA: ~3.60 (I think ...)

GRE: 560V, 680Q

Vet Experience
>2080 hrs at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as a Reasearch Tech.
160 hrs as a Volunteer Foal Sitter at UPenn's New Bolton Center
720 hrs as a Kennel Worker at a Small Animal Vet. Hosp.

Animal Experience
1000's of hours as an equestrian (grew up around horses; show in pleasure driving)

Plus the pets I've had throughout my life; Rabbits, dogs, cats, ferrets, parrots, and yes, a squirrel

Employment Experience
2080 hrs as a Research Technician at the Wistar Institute working on HIV research
480 hrs as a summer intern at Cephalon, Inc.
480 hrs as a summer intern at GlaxoSmithKline

Honors and Awards
Who's Who Among Students in American Univ. and Colleges
Science Department Award
Blue Ribbon Research Poster Award
Beta Beta Beta President (Biology Honor Society)
Sigma Zeta (Science and Math Honor Society)
Delta Epsilon Sigma (Scholastic Honor Society)
Pennsylvania Academy of Science Grant recipient
Dean's List
Cabrini College Honor Society

Extracurricular
Delaware County Symphony (I play violin AND I fiddle!) +pity+
Pit Orchestras
Senior Class Senator (SGA)
President of the Biology Club
Formal Chairman
Chemistry Tutor
Devon Horse Show Volunteer
Track and Field
Sculpting

LORs
4-5 depending on the school
1 from the Chief of NICU services at New Bolton
1 from the P.I. of the lab I work in at Children's Hospital (also UPenn faculty)
1 from my Mentor/Advisor at Cabrini
1 from my Organic Chem prof. at Cabrini
1 from the Science Department Chair at Cabrini

Vet Schools
Cornell (OOS): Accepted
UPenn (IS): Rejected
Tufts (OOS): Rejected

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be posting on this thread. I thought for sure I was going to have to go around a second time. This is such a surprise, I can't stand it!!!! Woo Hoo! Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!
(I just hope someone isn't playing a nasty joke on me!)

UPenn and Tufts are NUTS SweeTeaPie!!! Your experience is AMAZING! :)

UPenn and Tufts are NUTS SweeTeaPie!!! Your experience is AMAZING! :)

Awww, thanks NittanyKitty! Well, at least Cornell agreed with you, and that's what counts, right?

*Bump

I love this thread (even though I haven't even applied to vet school yet!). Any new acceptances?!?

And for everyone who has posted... Congrats on getting into vet school!!!!

You all deserve this: :clap::bow::banana:

Good luck in school this fall and life in general! :luck:

SweeTeaPie, I love driving too! I loooooooved your previous avatar. It was beautiful! :love: I had a very nice (and CUTE) Welsh/Halflinger cross that was awesome. I miss him. :rolleyes: Still have the road cart but nobody to fit in it.

SweeTeaPie, I love driving too! I loooooooved your previous avatar. It was beautiful! :love: I had a very nice (and CUTE) Welsh/Halflinger cross that was awesome. I miss him. :rolleyes: Still have the road cart but nobody to fit in it.

Thanks! That was me driving my mother's Stanhope Gig at the Devon Pleasure Drive in 2006. I have to admit I'm having mixed feelings about going off to vet school now. It means I'm going to have to sell my hackney pony :(

I love your avatar as well! Super photo...

wow, this thread has just convinced me that I have NO chance. anyone get in with less than 500 hrs total experience?

Wow SweeTeaPie, I can't see how anyone would reject you. You are definitely what I would consider a super applicant. If someone like you gets rejected that makes me scared of my chances. Yikes! :eek:

Wow SweeTeaPie, I can't see how anyone would reject you. You are definitely what I would consider a super applicant. If someone like you gets rejected that makes me scared of my chances. Yikes! :eek:

Well as you can see, I don't have the most stellar of GRE scores. They're not bad, but they're a little bit lower than average. My lesson to you; don't wait until three years after you've graduated to take your GRE's!

wow, this thread has just convinced me that I have NO chance. anyone get in with less than 500 hrs total experience?

I'm not sure about that, but I do know that if you're applying this cycle, you have the whole summer ahead of you to build on those hours, so don't count yourself out just yet!

Ok, so considering I didn't think I'd get accepted this cycle, I said that if I did, I'd post my stats on this thread... oops! :laugh: Well, as promised, here they are. I really hope I can give some of you people who don't think you're good enough some confidence!

23 years old (22 when I applied), 1st time applicant, traditional student

Degree/GPA:
B.S. in Biological Science with a minor in Chemistry
Undergrad GPA: ~3.55
Last 45 hours: ~3.2 (that C in Botany brought me down!)

GRE: ...brace yourselves! I took it a few of times, and these were my highest scores: 520 Q, 440 V, 4.0 AW :oops:

Vet Experience: (at the time of application)
~700 hours working at one small animal clinic
~4 hours working at another small animal clinic (I was literally there for a day and quit b/c it was that bad... but that's for another thread!)
-No large animal vet experience!

Animal Experience: (at the time of application)
~300 hours working at a doggie daycare
~200 hours volunteering at two different Humane Societies
~200 hours volunteering at a horseback-riding camp for handicapped children
~80 hours volunteering at a seabird sanctuary
~20 hours volunteering at an aquarium (we have a vet that comes by often, too)

Work Experience:
~1000 hours working for my dad, a human doctor
~400 hours working at a food store
~160 hours working as a telephone interviewer

Honors & Awards:
-Dean's List
-Chosen to be a pre-vet intern at the Humane Society from my pre-vet club in undergrad
-Scholarship (which I just found out I spelled wrong on my app! :laugh:) for undergrad that paid for 75% of my tuition - I wish I could have that again for vet school!
-Recognized as an "outstanding undergrad" by the Bio dept's graduate program
-National Honors Society in high school
-etc, etc.

Extracurricular:
-played ice hockey from grade school through high school; roller hockey in undergrad
-played soccer during freshman year of high school
-some other random clubs in high school

LORs:
-the vet I worked for (the one where I got ~700 hours of experience, haha)
-my Biochemistry professor
-my Bio II professor (also did a DIS in his lab)

Vet Schools:
-Iowa State (interviewed, wait-listed, accepted, and attending! Phew!)
-UF (interviewed, rejected, IS)
-Illinois (interviewed, wait-listed)
...And 7 others that I don't feel like typing out, but got rejected to, haha. :p

GRE: ...brace yourselves! I took it a few of times, and these were my highest scores: 520 Q, 440 V, 4.0 AW :oops:

Ahhh...A Kindred! So very happy for you, NoleDevil. Hate that doggone GRE!

:clap: yay for more hockey players!

You, too? Sweet! I always get funny looks when I tell people I played ice hockey for so long, but that I played in Florida. :p

I can't wait to move somewhere where ice skating is a common activity! I'll definitely be hitting that up when I have time away from classes!

And thanks, LVT2DVM! I feel for you. :)

You, too? Sweet! I always get funny looks when I tell people I played ice hockey for so long, but that I played in Florida. :p

I started playing when I was 4, but I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA. Played at a DI school for a year, decided I couldn't balance it with grades and having a life, and started sticking to USA hockey amateur leagues instead. This is the first season I haven't been involved with hockey at all (playing or coaching) in 23 years. I hate it. I need to play again. :(

I did play for a team down in Orlando when I lived there though. The Orlando Sirens, in the FWHL. :)

That's awesome, nyanko! I started playing ice hockey when I was 9 up until I was 18. I never played on any fancy travel leagues or anything, just the basic USA hockey amateur leagues you mentioned. However, I played mostly on all-boys teams since hockey is not that popular down here. I was on one all-girls team for a season, but it fizzled out the following year. Although I felt special being the only girl in the boys leagues! :p

When I went to undergrad, there were no ice rinks in close vicinity, so I had to switch to roller hockey (definitely not as cool - no pun intended, lol... still fun, though!). I haven't played ice hockey in about 5 years and roller in about 3 years, but maybe I'll get a chance to join some pick-up league in Iowa (yeah right! :laugh:).

I've been playing amateur ice hockey for about 7 years... always wanted to play when I was younger but never had the chance.. when I interviewed at Mich. State, my interviewers actually gave me a list of ice arenas to check out so I could continue playing while I was in school... :D

Congrats NoleDevil! :hardy:

I'm very good at procastinating but here we go finally:rolleyes: Oh an I have to agree with one of the above post things are hard to remember (anyone just starting that's looking here 1 ) congrats on your research abilities LOL 2) write everything down

32 years old, 2nd time applicant, non-trad

Between 1 st and second apps I continued school 9held off graduation even though I could have grad. I did biochem, statistics just this past year if I would of had them last year my chances would have been much better.

Degree/GPA
BS in Life Science Penn State Berks
GPA hard to say depend how you figure. My first year of college was 1994. Freshman 37 credits and not stellar GPA 2.51. Since returning my GPA is much better.Penn State 3.89, LCCC (AS) 3.35, and NCC 3.88 at the diffrent schools. At Application time:
Total GPA 3.42
Required (Wisconsin) 3.5
Last 30 GPA 3.88

GRE
1st time: 550 verbal, 640 quant, 4.0 AW
2nd time: 640 verbal, 750 quant, 4.0 AW

Vet Experience at application time:
mixed animal - 13098 hrs
I am a vet tech and have been working ~30 hr week while attending undergrad
research~ 504 hours
animal experience ~2280
I actually would have more but you don't count pets and I only added about 200 hours for growing up on a dairy farm. Most of my things I figured out from post high school graduation. That Was difficult enough and I know I've forgotten things both application cycles.

I also worked as a bartender, waitress, bar assistant manager, christmas tree worker, floral delivery person and Army Light Wheel Vehicle Mechanic.

Honors & Awards/ Extracurricular
Distingushed Honor Grad 91T military
squad leader 91T
class leader 63 B
Dean's list most semesters
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
I've since also joined Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
most extra curriculars were from high school except
Science Club
Women in Science and Engineering (WISE)
North American Vet Tech Association.

LOR's
1 academic advisor
1 research advisor
1 veterinarian

for Cornell I also had an additional
1 Large animal vet recommendation
1 Teacher

Vet Schools / Years applied
Cornell University (both) no both, but 2nd year late accepted:luck::love::thumbup:

Perdue University (both) both no before interviews

Ohio State (2nd) no after interview

Michigan State (2nd) never fully applied didn't notice needed vet recommendation to be electronic until too late.
University of Wisconsin:love:(2nd) accepted

Iowa State University (2nd) no after interview

University of Pennsylvania IS (both) no after 1st interview
waitlist after 2nd interview

University of Tennessee:love: (2nd) accepted after interview

Guelph (1st) no

Tufts (2nd) no

Initially I was only going to apply to Mn (my IS school) because I'm married and we have a home and my family is here, but my husband and I discussed it and figured it was best to maximize my chances. I didn't want to waste another year.

All I heard from practically everyone was "You won't get in your first time" and I'm glad they were wrong! Almost exactly 1 year ago (it as the begining of March, 2007) I decided I was going to go back to school, finish my 5 pre-reqs and get into vet school. AND I DID IT! :D

My stats are not spectacular by any means (barely even average) but I think my work experience outside of the field helped make up for other things (as well as being more certain than ever that this is the direction I want my life to go).

carrbear you have given me hope! I'm hoping to attend MN when the time comes and I am terrified that my stats won't be good enough after having read all of the great info people have posted in this thread. I am impressed with all of you!

I was beginning to feel a little intimidated and afraid I won't get in, because my stats in terms of experience won't be near what some of you have posted. I have LOTS of work experience, but I see a little glimmer of hope that I'll be able to keep my GPA up, do well on the GRE, get experience while I still can and let the chips fall where they may.

Bumping up - hope nobody minds but I am pushing this up so it's easier to find. I got a lot of useful information off this thread. :)

about me: female, 23 years old, first time applicant
major: animal science from UF (first two years were done at community college, then three years at UF)
cum. gpa: 3.68
science: 3.44
last 45 hours: 3.46
GRE: 1190; 510 verbal, 680 quantitative
2 years experience working part time at a small animal clinic
3 months at an equine reproduction clinic for a summer externship
There are also a lot of minor things including lifetime horse experience (breeding, training, showing, etc.), work experience on a thoroughbred farm, being a dept. manager at a petstore for a year, academic honors and scholarships, being a TA, clubs, a lot of volunteer and community work, etc.
schools applied to: UF
accepted: UF :banana:

My advice is don't get discouraged and don't look at other people's stats and let yourself get down or feel like you're not good enough. Everyone is different and there are so many things that come in to play when the admissions committees are making their decisions. Don't give up, i know how you all feel :)scared:), but it is worth it!!

Congrats QH gal! I'm hoping to see you there next year!! :)