Successful medical school dropouts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just curious about this. Its not like I am going for it but I just want to know if anyone of you guys know a story about people who dropout of medical school and could get a non-health job that is better than being an attending physician? Did they do better than a doctor financially and in terms of how rewarding and meaningful their jobs are?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

I'm just curious about this. Its not like I am going for it but I just want to know if anyone of you guys know a story about people who dropout of medical school and could get a non-health job that is better than being an attending physician? Did they do better than a doctor financially and in terms of how rewarding and meaningful their jobs are?

Thanks

So there was this guy who flunked out of med school but then became a millionaire saving orphans and married 7 supermodels.

Is that what you were looking for? I hope you found it enlightening.

Reactions: 5 users
Of the few that I know that were dismissed, they became an elementary school teacher, PA, nurse, MCAT instructor, receptionist, joined a family business and claims adjuster. I wish we could have forgiven the loan burden for most of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So there was this guy who flunked out of med school but then became a millionaire saving orphans and married 7 supermodels.

Is that what you were looking for? I hope you found it enlightening.
Only 7? What a loser. That wasn't enlightening at all!1!

Do medical school graduates who decided not to pursue medicine anymore count??

IF so, we have Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk both got their MD's at University of Alberta, they both did medicine for a while and realized it wasn't their true calling so they went into video game business. Created Bioware >>> made tons of money >>> bought out by EA >>> became prominent people in EA. Muzyka is now big on the investing market, while Zeschuk is doing beer making.

Anecdotal: My ochem professor has MD kids. One decided to pursue Law, the other, Real Estate.

Not a dropout but i thought it was cool how one of the singers of 3oh!3 was a accepted to med school-and was planning to go too, until the end of their tour in 08. He deferred for 3 yrs until he decided med school wasnt for him and he would be more successful as a singer

Reactions: 1 user
Do medical school graduates who decided not to pursue medicine anymore count??

IF so, we have Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk both got their MD's at University of Alberta, they both did medicine for a while and realized it wasn't their true calling so they went into video game business. Created Bioware >>> made tons of money >>> bought out by EA >>> became prominent people in EA. Muzyka is now big on the investing market, while Zeschuk is doing beer making.

Anecdotal: My ochem professor has MD kids. One decided to pursue Law, the other, Real Estate.

There's also Michael Crichton. Graduated Harvard Med, decided he didn't want to practice medicine, and went on to become "the only creative artist ever to have works simultaneously charting at No. 1 in US television (ER), film (Jurassic Park), and book sales (Disclosure)." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crichton

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all

Thanks

This might come as a shock to you, but the world is not black and white. People are different. Some people might find more happiness and meaning stocking shelves at a grocery store than they would working as a physician: no stress, no liability, you're on your feet and staying active, no paperwork to do, easy 8-hour shifts, nobody calling you at 3am to come fix some calamity, you get to help people and make their day better, your life is not filled with death and chronic incurable life-destroying disease. Maybe they don't need a lot of money and this lifestyle makes them happy. Something to be said for that.

Reactions: 4 users
Of the few that I know that were dismissed, they became an elementary school teacher, PA, nurse, MCAT instructor, receptionist, joined a family business and claims adjuster. I wish we could have forgiven the loan burden for most of them.

This is a situation (like lawyers who fail the bar exam and never practice) where courts are more likely to allow at least a partial discharge of student loans in bankruptcy. I'm not advocating for that, but there were options for the dismissed student.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all

Thanks

I know someone that got an MPH and now runs a hospital making a lot more than the sibling who is a doctor

Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame was a fully qualified physican but never practiced medicine
Now THERE'S some bar trivia a guy can actually use!

Indeed. My brother-in-law was a truck driver and he said it was like being "a paid, professional tourist".

This might come as a shock to you, but the world is not black and white. People are different. Some people might find more happiness and meaning stocking shelves at a grocery store than they would working as a physician: no stress, no liability, you're on your feet and staying active, no paperwork to do, easy 8-hour shifts, nobody calling you at 3am to come fix some calamity, you get to help people and make their day better, your life is not filled with death and chronic incurable life-destroying disease. Maybe they don't need a lot of money and this lifestyle makes them happy. Something to be said for that.