Successful NIH IRTA applicant is taking your questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You do you, girl. I'm pretty sure most people who are doing a tech-like role and applying MD/PhD aren't just running Westerns all day without understanding what a protein is! Lab tech is just the name of the position--also, I've met super super competent technicians who have done a brilliant job training me, so it's kind of a bummer to say they're not an integral part of the team.

Here's what I mean by integral: You are doing novel work, like making a program to test a hypothesis you came up with.

It would be pretty silly if I meant those who do the bread and butter labor of the lab aren't highly involved.

Members don't see this ad.

I need some help deciding what to do during my gap year: IRTA or a job in a clinical setting (scribe/tech stuff). I have a lot of previous research experience (4 summers) with 1 first authorship and two other publications where I am an author. I also have strong LORs from the two PIs I have worked with. I have 200 hours of clinical volunteering and 80 hours of shadowing. I am not pursuing an MD/PhD, just an MD. Most of the medical schools I will be applying to are big research institutions.

The IRTA program is more prestigious than being a scribe however I feel my clinical experience is deficient compared to my research. Also I really would like to do the IRTA for only one year as I will be applying to medical schools this summer. Therefore any publications or LOR from the NIH experience will not be in my medical school application. Personally I enjoy doing research but I am apprehensive about committing to a full year of it. I have also heard a lot of good things about being a scribe although this seems to be very common among pre-meds unlike the IRTA. Advice?

Reactions: 1 user
I need some help deciding what to do during my gap year: IRTA or a job in a clinical setting (scribe/tech stuff). I have a lot of previous research experience (4 summers) with 1 first authorship and two other publications where I am an author. I also have strong LORs from the two PIs I have worked with. I have 200 hours of clinical volunteering and 80 hours of shadowing. I am not pursuing an MD/PhD, just an MD. Most of the medical schools I will be applying to are big research institutions.

The IRTA program is more prestigious than being a scribe however I feel my clinical experience is deficient compared to my research. Also I really would like to do the IRTA for only one year as I will be applying to medical schools this summer. Therefore any publications or LOR from the NIH experience will not be in my medical school application. Personally I enjoy doing research but I am apprehensive about committing to a full year of it. I have also heard a lot of good things about being a scribe although this seems to be very common among pre-meds unlike the IRTA. Advice?

I don't think anyone is going to knock you for not having more research given your record. If you're deficient in clinic, then do the clinic position. And it is quite clear you prefer it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help me link me to a page with available labs at the NIH? I can't find one that's very accessible like a University's faculty page or something. Does anyone know of any labs or groups that would also allow me to work in the clinic and interact with patients?

Sorry to say, dude, but you're gonna have to do this the hard way. Think of this like top-down processing (an MCAT term for you :)): start from your broad interests and work your way down. For example, first pick the field you'd like to get involved in (ophthalmology = Eye Institute, depression in children = probably NIMH, etc.). From the institute page (I understand this can be overwhelming), go to the list of all the PI's in alphabetical order or, if the site has this feature, organize PI's by their specific interests (you can tell a lot about what a PI does just by looking at their lab name, btw). From there, pick out the specific PI's that match your interest and start shooting out the emails.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to say, dude, but you're gonna have to do this the hard way. Think of this like top-down processing (an MCAT term for you :)): start from your broad interests and work your way down. For example, first pick the field you'd like to get involved in (ophthalmology = Eye Institute, depression in children = probably NIMH, etc.). From the institute page (I understand this can be overwhelming), go to the list of all the PI's in alphabetical order or, if the site has this feature, organize PI's by their specific interests (you can tell a lot about what a PI does just by looking at their lab name, btw). From there, pick out the specific PI's that match your interest and start shooting out the emails.

Exactly this. Go to the Annual Reports or go to the PI directory, which also lets you separate by general subject area; ex. Neuroscience, molecular biology, etc. Then the PI's are listed in alphabetical order and you need to plug through them, each lab, each bio, and find one that interests you.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted recently as well! Feel free to quote me if you have a question
While I agree that starting early (around your winter break...I started then too) is a good idea, I just want to emphasize that you don't have to stress yourself out meeting a self-imposed urgent deadline. A lot of replies I received in late December/early January actually told me to check in with them again (in ~March) when they had a clearer view of their budget situations. My IRTA friends received acceptances anywhere from November to the following October (no joke - one friend started just before Halloween this year). Every lab does things differently, so cast aside the notion of set deadlines and don't despair if you don't hear back right away!

Source: Current IRTA diggin' the NCI

Caffeine: Do you know how much more you'll get in NCI? I'm going to be joining NCI

I was accepted recently as well! Feel free to quote me if you have a question

Caffeine: Do you know how much more you'll get in NCI? I'm going to be joining NCI
Congrats! Which campus are you going to be at? This is just spitballing, but I'd say ~$3k or so more than other IRTA's. I get a tick under $33k a year. You also get paid based on your GPA.

Congrats! Which campus are you going to be at? This is just spitballing, but I'd say ~$3k or so more than other IRTA's. I get a tick under $33k a year. You also get paid based on your GPA.
Bethesda! Building 41!

Okay so basically they just released the 2016 stipend levels: https://oma1.od.nih.gov/Manualchapters/person/2300-320-7/Appendices/PostBacc16.PDF?

So I've got 2+ years of past experience, NCI, and a 3.8 GPA. Any idea what that would be? I'm trying to ballpark for housing. 2+ years and your NCI estimate puts it about: $34,950. How does the GPA factor in?

Do you guys know of any resources where we can look for roommates/housing? I've seen the official NIH housing page but those all seem pretty expensive... Right now I'm kinda just looking on Craiglist in areas around Bethesda.

Former IRTA here. NIH IRTA is a good program and I believe schools appreciate you having the chance to work at one of the nation's premier biomedical research locations. Of course it all depends on how much independence you are given and the type of relationship you have with your PI, but it is an excellent opportunity for those looking to get their hands on a project or to experience what full time research is like. There are also constantly seminars/opportunities to get lunch with big shots in many different medically related fields. An excellent opportunity to build up research experience and networking in my opinion.

Does anyone have a cover letter example they would be willing to share?

When is a good time to start emailing PIs for IRTA? Is there a big difference between IRTA and a post bacc research fellowship at another institution also sponsored by the NIH like the NIH PREP programs? (Other than the obvious of being somewhere other than the NIH)
Finish app by December (it takes a couple of months). Start emailing ASAP after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
IRTA who was perhaps too involved, there for quite awhile. I know a lot about the process, can debunk myths that people for some reason spread on SDN, and answer general questions about "what do I do now that I'm here?"

Bethesda! Building 41!

Okay so basically they just released the 2016 stipend levels: https://oma1.od.nih.gov/Manualchapters/person/2300-320-7/Appendices/PostBacc16.PDF?

So I've got 2+ years of past experience, NCI, and a 3.8 GPA. Any idea what that would be? I'm trying to ballpark for housing. 2+ years and your NCI estimate puts it about: $34,950. How does the GPA factor in?
You don't have past experience sorry. They mean post-bachelors...Isn't that sad?

Do you guys know of any resources where we can look for roommates/housing? I've seen the official NIH housing page but those all seem pretty expensive... Right now I'm kinda just looking on Craiglist in areas around Bethesda.
ClubPCR yahoo group.

Are you entered into the database only after all LORs are in?

EDIT:
More questions: When did you first begin emailing PI's, and how long did it take you to secure an offer?

Thanks for doing this!
It depends on the PI. They aren't good about emailing back.

Trying sending a folow up email after about 4 weeks, and then emailing postdocs and postbacs in the lab after that!

Also as a general warning to everyone here and especially OP @philosonista, there is no one way to get an IRTA. It isn't a "my experience got this to work so you should do what i do". Most of this depends on emailing the right person, making concise, polite emails, and being dilligent.

IRTA who was perhaps too involved, there for quite awhile. I know a lot about the process, can debunk myths that people for some reason spread on SDN, and answer general questions about "what do I do now that I'm here?"

Do you know if the federal hiring freeze is affecting current IRTA applicants? In any case, I accepted my offer one day before the freeze.

Do you know if the federal hiring freeze is affecting current IRTA applicants? In any case, I accepted my offer one day before the freeze.
No, IRTAs are not officially governmental hires/ FTEs (full-time government employees). Trainees are not affected by the hiring freeze, fortunately.

It is currently being worked out. No, in general, because we are not FTE (full time employees).

However it could change depending on the admin's wording and is being considered.

ALSO CONGRATS. :)

Anyone know any IRTAs who worked out at the Rocky Mountain Labs? I'm guessing that's going to be a very different experience...

Former IRTA here. NIH IRTA is a good program and I believe schools appreciate you having the chance to work at one of the nation's premier biomedical research locations. Of course it all depends on how much independence you are given and the type of relationship you have with your PI, but it is an excellent opportunity for those looking to get their hands on a project or to experience what full time research is like. There are also constantly seminars/opportunities to get lunch with big shots in many different medically related fields. An excellent opportunity to build up research experience and networking in my opinion.

I am a current IRTA and I wholeheartedly agree with what this person said! ^

especially the seminars/networking part

Despite the fact that you all despise the title of this thread, OP (me) is now five months into IRTA and will take any questions you have.

A+ experience so far. Also: In the introductory seminar for post-baccs they tell you there is a "95% satisfaction rate" among post-baccs. Considering the kids who come here tend to be very ambitious, I would think the fulfillment of their professional/graduate school goals goes hand in hand with that high rate.

Despite the fact that you all despise the title of this thread, OP (me) is now five months into IRTA and will take any questions you have.

A+ experience so far. Also: In the introductory seminar for post-baccs they tell you there is a "95% satisfaction rate" among post-baccs. Considering the kids who come here tend to be very ambitious, I would think the fulfillment of their professional/graduate school goals goes hand in hand with that high rate.
Yes, but 22% report they have had a bad lab experience...who knows if they resolved it or just ignored it.

Where did you hear that? I haven't heard that before.
The introductory seminar. :p

About a fifth of PBs have problems with their lab environment. Those still 95% say their experience was good. There's a undercurrent of postbacs not saying they need help from OITE when they run into problems.

The introductory seminar. :p

About a fifth of PBs have problems with their lab environment. Those still 95% say their experience was good. There's a undercurrent of postbacs not saying they need help from OITE when they run into problems.

They must have left that out of the one I attended!

In the required post-bacc ethics course, they mentioned that post-bacc's in particular have found themselves in the ethics office within the past few years. Eeks! I'm happy to not be in one of the 22% that would make such a visit more likely. I put a lot of time into choosing a lab, though. This is not a process to take lightly.

The "95% satisfaction rate" may reflect how the question was asked and may not be representative of all IRTAs' experiences. If I were asked about my satisfaction with the program, I'd give it a thumbs up; it furthered my professional goals, afforded me more independence than I'd experienced to date (yay, adulthood!), and was a catalyst for maturity and personal growth. But the experience included many negatives, which may account for the seemingly contradictory statistic cited by @Lost In Transcription. Was I satisfied with my overall experience? Yes, particularly with respect to resume-building and life outside of lab. Was I happy in lab? Not particularly. Also, 95% was derived from an exit survey question and self-selection bias likely inflated the statistic. I'd caution against making sweeping generalizations about the IRTA position based on a number.

That said, some enjoy their fellowships immensely. I'd encourage prospective IRTAs to approach the fellowship with tempered optimism.

Reactions: 2 users
The "95% satisfaction rate" may reflect how the question was asked and may not be representative of all IRTAs' experiences. If I were asked about my satisfaction with the program, I'd give it a thumbs up; it furthered my professional goals, afforded me more independence than I'd experienced to date (yay, adulthood!), and was a catalyst for maturity and personal growth. But the experience included many negatives, which may account for the seemingly contradictory statistic cited by @Lost In Transcription. Was I satisfied with my overall experience? Yes, particularly with respect to resume-building and life outside of lab. Was I happy in lab? Not particularly. Also, 95% was derived from an exit survey question and self-selection bias likely inflated the statistic. I'd caution against making sweeping generalizations about the IRTA position based on a number.

That said, some enjoy their fellowships immensely. I'd encourage prospective IRTAs to approach the fellowship with tempered optimism.

Well put critique.

If people learn to utilize OITE early on with problems (or no problems), they are pretty likely, anecdotally, to grow and enjoy themselves.

Utilize OITE in what way, exactly? Seeing as I'll be there soon.
If you have problems, for once. Go to their seminars about applications and also stress-relief etc. Just make sure you start a relationship with them.

Are you going to Bethesda?

I turned down an IRTA position to work in clinical research at a private company (mostly for geographical reasons), did I screw up big time?
I did a similar thing but instead of a private company, it was clinical research at Stanford SOM. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing. What's more important than WHERE you research is WHAT you get out of it. You'll undoubtedly be asked about it in interviews and that's your chance to discuss what you learned from the experience and how it has shaped you. Also whether or not you get a glowing letter of rec.

Another question, @Lost In Transcription , about how much is withheld for taxes from ur stipend?
None. You have to file quarterly taxes while here. This is why the hiring freeze shouldn't affect us either (we are technically a type of contractor, fiscally, to the government, not FTEs).

None. You have to file quarterly taxes while here. This is why the hiring freeze shouldn't affect us either (we are technically a type of contractor, fiscally, to the government, not FTEs).

I see. About how much does this come out to over the course of a year?

Also, I start in late June!

Hi, this is probably dependent on each lab (like everything else), but do you guys know if there's a pretty good chance of getting an offer as a postbac fellow if you've been contacted for a phone interview? I now have 3 phone interviews within 2 weeks of submitting my app (2 people just found me off my app), and I'm not finished emailing PIs yet. Just curious if I can safely say I'll probably be able to move to Bethesda (or Baltimore) or not.

Hi, this is probably dependent on each lab (like everything else), but do you guys know if there's a pretty good chance of getting an offer as a postbac fellow if you've been contacted for a phone interview? I now have 3 phone interviews within 2 weeks of submitting my app (2 people just found me off my app), and I'm not finished emailing PIs yet. Just curious if I can safely say I'll probably be able to move to Bethesda (or Baltimore) or not.

No way to predict this, but I would feel pretty good about your chances. It's only been 2 weeks for you and I didn't receive an official offer until about 1.5 months after submitting my app (I submitted early in December). I also didn't receive any unsolicited interview opportunities; i.e. all of my interviews came from e-mailing PIs directly.

No promises, but Id put my money on you receiving an offer.

Uhh is it common to have a PI request an in-person visit before even talking on the phone?

Uhh is it common to have a PI request an in-person visit before even talking on the phone?

I've never heard of this occurring.

Yeah, it's common...not a majority but definitely common. TBH this is sometimes much nicer because it helps you figure out if the PI will be nice.