Successful NIH IRTA applicant is taking your questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uhh is it common to have a PI request an in-person visit before even talking on the phone?
My PI did, but I was just up in Bmore so it wasn't a hardship to interview in person. It also gave me an opportunity to meet everyone in lab and my PI let me talk to the current postbaccs alone so they could be totally candid (he's a cool dude). If you can do it, I would highly recommend interviewing in person since you'll get a much better feel for the lab environment and what is expected of you.

Also, word to the wise, I would seriously try to avoid being the only postbacc in a lab, or especially being a PIs first postbacc. This seems to result in you getting given way more scutwork than otherwise, at least based off comparisons between my job and my friends. If you want to be in lab 70 hrs a week, that's cool I suppose, but be aware that you're going to have to miss like weeks of time for interviews and super intense PIs may be less inclined to let you go (one friend had their PI put a limit on how many II they could accept--although its unclear whether he could actually do anything about it...)

Members don't see this ad.

My PI did, but I was just up in Bmore so it wasn't a hardship to interview in person. It also gave me an opportunity to meet everyone in lab and my PI let me talk to the current postbaccs alone so they could be totally candid (he's a cool dude). If you can do it, I would highly recommend interviewing in person since you'll get a much better feel for the lab environment and what is expected of you.

Also, word to the wise, I would seriously try to avoid being the only postbacc in a lab, or especially being a PIs first postbacc. This seems to result in you getting given way more scutwork than otherwise, at least based off comparisons between my job and my friends. If you want to be in lab 70 hrs a week, that's cool I suppose, but be aware that you're going to have to miss like weeks of time for interviews and super intense PIs may be less inclined to let you go (one friend had their PI put a limit on how many II they could accept--although its unclear whether he could actually do anything about it...)

Thanks for the tips! I was just concerned his asking me to visit Bethesda was a typo haha. Do you think there's a higher chance on getting an offer if the first interview is in person rather than on the phone? I just really like this lab.

Hi, all. I'm currently holding offers from PI's at the NIH through the IRTA post-baccalaureate program.

It's been interesting and confusing navigating the process.

Give me your questions about the program if you have any! I'm doing a problem set on the last leg of finals week and looking for some fun.

do you think the 29,100 salary will be enough to accommodate a 5k application cycle in addition to living in MD? Also how much do you get paid per month, and how much and how often in taxes?

In regards to when to start your app, if the latest you should start it is December 1st, then when should you have your app "complete" using this timeline?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think the 29,100 salary will be enough to accommodate a 5k application cycle in addition to living in MD? Also how much do you get paid per month, and how much and how often in taxes?

In regards to when to start your app, if the latest you should start it is December 1st, then when should you have your app "complete" using this timeline?

If you live in Bethesda, and not DC, and -- even better -- have a roommate, a 5k application cycle would be totally doable. I get paid 2,000-something per month.

Don't contact PI's until your application is complete. I recommend starting in January, so complete your application by then.

Reactions: 1 user
If you live in Bethesda, and not DC, and -- even better -- have a roommate, a 5k application cycle would be totally doable. I get paid 2,000-something per month.

Don't contact PI's until your application is complete. I recommend starting in January, so complete your application by then.
Earlier in this thread you recommending starting no later than December 1st. Is there a reason you changed your stance?

Also I know that getting into the NIH IRTA program is not a given for anyone, so i was planning on applying to summer research programs as a backup. If my application is complete by then is it feasible for me to get a response by the end of January to Mid February? If so then I would not have to submit apps to summer programs since these programs have application deadlines around this time.

Yeah, I agree that the money is very comfortable. Try co-habitating and also living NOT in DC. North Bethesda is the 1st derivative optimization of minimal commute and also decent prices to live in. Makes it even better if you have a roommate (you can start looking for roommates on ClubPCR if you get accepted)

Reactions: 1 user
Earlier in this thread you recommending starting no later than December 1st. Is there a reason you changed your stance?

Also I know that getting into the NIH IRTA program is not a given for anyone, so i was planning on applying to summer research programs as a backup. If my application is complete by then is it feasible for me to get a response by the end of January to Mid February? If so then I would not have to submit apps to summer programs since these programs have application deadlines around this time.

Did I say that? Okay. You're right. I did start in December -- I remember now I chose a lab among those who accepted me by Jan 1st -- and it worked out for me. Yeah, go with December. Early though, so people aren't busy with holidays and lose your email along the way.

Your response is a function of the number of PI's you contact. Contact a ton and you'll have a better chance of getting responses fast. To be clear: There is no definitive acceptance or denial -- it's just whether a PI picks you among those you contact and/or recruit you. But generally, I would say yes.

Reactions: 1 users
For people living in Bethesda or DC area, would you say a car is necessary? Can you walk or take public transportation to NIH? Thanks!

You definitely dont need a car, you can take the red line into the main campus

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know if the federal hiring freeze is affecting current IRTA applicants? In any case, I accepted my offer one day before the freeze.

How many years did you spend at NIH?

For people living in Bethesda or DC area, would you say a car is necessary? Can you walk or take public transportation to NIH? Thanks!

Depends where you live, if you live near enough to the metro (anywhere in DC proper and a decent part of Bethesda) you can definitely get by without a car. If you're a bit farther out in the suburbs, a car can make life a lot easier.

Did I say that? Okay. You're right. I did start in December -- I remember now I chose a lab among those who accepted me by Jan 1st -- and it worked out for me. Yeah, go with December. Early though, so people aren't busy with holidays and lose your email along the way.

Your response is a function of the number of PI's you contact. Contact a ton and you'll have a better chance of getting responses fast. To be clear: There is no definitive acceptance or denial -- it's just whether a PI picks you among those you contact and/or recruit you. But generally, I would say yes.
How would you navigate a PI saying they're interested in your application, but waiting on references to submit. Should I still contact other PIs I'm interested in working with in the meantime or hold off?