Successful Vet School Transfers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pluto674

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any successful DVM transfers tell me what their GPA and class standing was like? I want to transfer from my current caribbean vet school to one in the U.S.. I think my reasons are valid enough, due to the current citizenship and the immigration policies changing in the US, my husband is not a US citizen and therefore we need to remain in the US for his green card restrictions.. I'm wondering if my GPA is too low its around a 3.35 (top 30% of my class). I'm expecting to raise it by the end of this semester to like a 3.5 and hopefully transfer in January.
Applied to:
Kstate
Oregon
Texas
LMU
Mississippi
Georgia
Colorado State
Midwestern
Iowa State

Members don't see this ad.

Can any successful DVM transfers tell me what their GPA and class standing was like? I want to transfer from my current caribbean vet school to one in the U.S.. I think my reasons are valid enough, due to the current citizenship and the immigration policies changing in the US, my husband is not a US citizen and therefore we need to remain in the US for his green card restrictions.. I'm wondering if my GPA is too low its around a 3.35 (top 30% of my class). I'm expecting to raise it by the end of this semester to like a 3.5 and hopefully transfer in January.
Applied to:
Kstate
Oregon
Texas
LMU
Mississippi
Georgia
Colorado State
Midwestern
Iowa State

Midwestern is very case by case basis from what I’ve heard; this may be due to differences in curriculum especially since we start surgery second year. While I haven’t met a transfer student yet, we did have someone transfer out of us to another school. I know that it does say that general admission requirements have to be met, so I would ensure that you cover all of those prior to attempted matriculation. Otherwise, no minimum GPA requirement is posted elsewhere.

There is also a general Midwestern FB page that I’d recommend you reaching out to for current students with transfer experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not helpful at all but I go to Iowa State and we had one person transfer in after first semester and 6 transfer in at the end of first year and they were all from island schools :)

Reactions: 1 users
oh wow 6 seems like a lot that makes me feel better haha i've been hoping that schools just have at least 1 opening.

Thanks for the advice about checking the midwestern page i'll definitely do that! I guess it's a long shot there since I am missing a few undergrad pre-reqs like orgo 2 lab and physics 2 lab, I know most of the schools i applied to said they didn't care about your undergrad as much if I was applying as a transfer so thats pretty much how i ended up with that list of schools

I also can’t contribute to info about the process, but we had a transfer from SGU come into the class of 2022 as well as a transfer from Purdue I think. So it does happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there!

I just transferred as a second year. My GPA was a 3.0 and I don’t know what my rank was. I’m one of 3 transfers to the vet school this year. The other 2 transfers came from island schools. Take my GPA with a grain of salt because I had ties to my new school already because I did my gap year there, so I suspect that helped. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your input! I would love Cornell and it would be my in-state school but my GRE's are just too low and i'm missing the physics 2 req. I did well in undergrad but not thattt well.
I appreciate you sharing your stats bc it takes off some of the stress of feeling like I have to get a 4.0 this semester!

What’s the best way to ask for a letter of recommendation for a transfer?? A lot of the schools I was looking at transferring to require a LOR from a professor at the vet school you’re currently attending. I just feel uncomfortable going to a professor and being like “Hey, I did well on your exam, can I get an LOR to transfer?”

What’s the best way to ask for a letter of recommendation for a transfer?? A lot of the schools I was looking at transferring to require a LOR from a professor at the vet school you’re currently attending. I just feel uncomfortable going to a professor and being like “Hey, I did well on your exam, can I get an LOR to transfer?”
I asked a professor who was also the supervisor in a TNR program I was very active in. So maybe choose one who you’ve interacted with outside of class if you can. I also approached said professor in a casual way, but without people nearby. I talked about how the transfer would be good for me financially, but that I’d be happy to stay where I was as well.

I asked a professor who was also the supervisor in a TNR program I was very active in. So maybe choose one who you’ve interacted with outside of class if you can. I also approached said professor in a casual way, but without people nearby. I talked about how the transfer would be good for me financially, but that I’d be happy to stay where I was as well.
Thank you so much! For the LOR did you have them email it directly to the school, or to your email?

I think 4 of my classmates transferred to Iowa state, one to Oklahoma state, and one to LSU. I applied to K-state with a 4.0 and 3 strong LOR and didn’t get in. It all depends if there’s open seats.

It all depends if there’s open seats.
This! Sometimes you’re just SOL and there are no spots in the class for a transfer. It’s not always a function of GPA or LOR’s. Some years there are spots open and no transfer applicants, others there are more applicants than seats.

Hi there!

I just transferred as a second year. My GPA was a 3.0 and I don’t know what my rank was. I’m one of 3 transfers to the vet school this year. The other 2 transfers came from island schools. Take my GPA with a grain of salt because I had ties to my new school already because I did my gap year there, so I suspect that helped. Feel free to ask me any questions!
What was the transfer process like? And where did you end up transferring to?