MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
I want a list of schools, something between maybe 15 and 30. I'm looking for assistance from fellow pre-meds.

Here's my info: I'm an OK resident with a 3.25ish overall GPA, 3.0ish BPCM GPA, 36 MCAT. I've shadowed a couple of doctors who are now good friends, volunteered a little at a hospital, but don't have any research background. I've been a military pilot for almost 8 years. I was economically disadvantaged as a youngster, lived in a medically underserved area according to AMCAS, and will probably apply as both white and Native American.

If money isn't much of an issue, what schools should I apply to? The more the merrier with the main cutoff being I don't want to throw money away to apply to a school that accepts less than 10 out of state applicants. I prefer the OK/TX area (well, besides USUHS), but to get an acceptance, I'd apply to every medical school in the country. I plan to apply MD and DO. Schools that are accepting of GPAs will be appreciated.
 

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
833
2
38
Status
Get the MSRP, hammer away at those midwestern/southern schools. Get your hind-end into a hospital to volunteer as much as you can. Your GPAs aren't that pretty, but you can prolly make it up with some solid life experiences. Did you go to one of the service academies? If so, that can help explain your GPAs away... they have almost no grade inflation nowadays. You've been on this site far longer than most of us have, I don't think we're really in a position to give you any advice you haven't already heard.

all the best

-dope-
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
dopaminophile said:
Get the MSRP, hammer away at those midwestern/southern schools. Get your hind-end into a hospital to volunteer as much as you can. Your GPAs aren't that pretty, but you can prolly make it up with some solid life experiences. Did you go to one of the service academies? If so, that can help explain your GPAs away... they have almost no grade inflation nowadays. You've been on this site far longer than most of us have, I don't think we're really in a position to give you any advice you haven't already heard.

all the best

-dope-
You know, I thought that, too. That I wouldn't hear anything I haven't already heard a million times before. It's surprising though. Different regions of the country, different pre-med advisors giving advice... someone might have a good option I didn't already find by poring through the MSAR with a highlighter.

What's the MSRP? :oops:
 
About the Ads

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
833
2
38
Status
LMAO... I just noticed the MSRP thing too. I guess you're supposed to look at the manufacturer's suggested retail price for various med school. ahhaha..
 

Old_Mil

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
2,102
595
50
Earth
Status
Attending Physician
MoosePilot said:
I want a list of schools, something between maybe 15 and 30. I'm looking for assistance from fellow pre-meds.

Here's my info: I'm an OK resident with a 3.25ish overall GPA, 3.0ish BPCM GPA, 36 MCAT. The more the merrier with the main cutoff being I don't want to throw money away to apply to a school that accepts less than 10 out of state applicants. I prefer the OK/TX area (well, besides USUHS), but to get an acceptance, I'd apply to every medical school in the country. I plan to apply MD and DO. Schools that are accepting of GPAs will be appreciated.
I'd apply to 20 schools - 15 Allopathic schools and 5 Osteopathic schools. This will almost guarantee you an admission somewhere.

My list of DO schools would be:
-----------------------------
North Texas State (or whatever they call the school in Denton now)
Oklahoma State
KCUMB
KCOM
DMU

I'll leave it up to someone else to give you an idea of which MD schools to shoot for.
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
dopaminophile said:
LMAO... I just noticed the MSRP thing too. I guess you're supposed to look at the manufacturer's suggested retail price for various med school. ahhaha..
See, I thought you already had a piece of advice for me. :D Although price is one consideration for me...

1. Is it USUHS?
2. Location (which includes cost of living).
3. Price (not as important if I go HPSP, like I plan).
4. Other minor things
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Old_Mil said:
I'd apply to 20 schools - 15 Allopathic schools and 5 Osteopathic schools. This will almost guarantee you an admission somewhere.

My list of DO schools would be:
-----------------------------
North Texas State (or whatever they call the school in Denton now)
Oklahoma State
KCUMB
KCOM
DMU

I'll leave it up to someone else to give you an idea of which MD schools to shoot for.
Thanks for the advice! I have OSU-COM on my list, TCOM, and also AZCOM which you don't mention (any reason why not?). Why the other three?
 

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
833
2
38
Status
The only school that I applied to anywhere near you is Tulane, which you could probably get into if you played your cards right (they are a bigtime public health school). Maybe try for Duke for a #1 if that's up your alley. I dunno man, I'm definitely not a southerner.
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
dopaminophile said:
The only school that I applied to anywhere near you is Tulane, which you could probably get into if you played your cards right (they are a bigtime public health school). Maybe try for Duke for a #1 if that's up your alley. I dunno man, I'm definitely not a southerner.
I'm willing to move. My overriding goal is one acceptance!

Let me reorder my priorities:

1. A school that will take me
2. Hopefully USUHS
3. Location - OK or TX preferred
4. Low cost preferred unless HPSP, in which case I don't care at all (actually would prefer high cost :laugh: )
 

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
1,850
4
Status
Medical Student
I know that Pitt and Case are both willing to overlook low-ish GPAs for nontrads with good stories and high MCAT like you, I'd definitely recommend applying to both!

Case would be good with HPSP, they are about as high cost as they get :smuggrin:. Actually I did meet a student doing HPSP while I was visiting Case, he really loved everything about the school. Just in case you wanted some vague hearsay.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
MoosePilot said:
I want a list of schools, something between maybe 15 and 30. I'm looking for assistance from fellow pre-meds.

Here's my info: I'm an OK resident with a 3.25ish overall GPA, 3.0ish BPCM GPA, 36 MCAT. I've shadowed a couple of doctors who are now good friends, volunteered a little at a hospital, but don't have any research background. I've been a military pilot for almost 8 years. I was economically disadvantaged as a youngster, lived in a medically underserved area according to AMCAS, and will probably apply as both white and Native American.

If money isn't much of an issue, what schools should I apply to? The more the merrier with the main cutoff being I don't want to throw money away to apply to a school that accepts less than 10 out of state applicants. I prefer the OK/TX area (well, besides USUHS), but to get an acceptance, I'd apply to every medical school in the country. I plan to apply MD and DO. Schools that are accepting of GPAs will be appreciated.

AMCAS:
Baylor
Tulane
Oklahoma
Arkansas

AACOMAS:
OSU-COM
KCUMB-COM
KCOM
AZCOM

TMDSAS: (difficult if you are out of state, but these are your best bets)
Texas Tech
UTMB-Galveston
UT-San Antonio
TCOM
 

AStudent

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
877
8
Status
Good news! Osteopathic schools tend to like applicants like you, so you should apply to nearly all of them (you need a LOR from a DO for some though). I'd also add MSUCOM to the list, they attach more weight to your volunteer activities than nearly anything else!
 
About the Ads
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
AStudent said:
Good news! Osteopathic schools tend to like applicants like you, so you should apply to nearly all of them (you need a LOR from a DO for some though). I'd also add MSUCOM to the list, they attach more weight to your volunteer activities than nearly anything else!
The good news about that is I have two LORS from DOs. I shadowed them because they were military docs, the fact that they had DO after their name was just bonus :D
 

davidr

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2003
42
0
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
AMCAS:
Baylor
Tulane
Oklahoma
Arkansas

AACOMAS:
OSU-COM
KCUMB-COM
KCOM
AZCOM

TMDSAS: (difficult if you are out of state, but these are your best bets)
Texas Tech
UTMB-Galveston
UT-San Antonio
TCOM
I'd add UT-Houston if you are filling out TMDSAS - they have no secondary. TAMU may be good too, but their class size is not very large.
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
davidr said:
I'd add UT-Houston if you are filling out TMDSAS - they have no secondary. TAMU may be good too, but their class size is not very large.
Ok, thanks. I'll probably just go with Evo's suggestion and shotgun all the TX schools.
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
So now I have:

1. USUHS
2. OU
3. OSU-COM
4. Baylor
5. TX A&M
6. TX Tech
7. TCOM
8. UTSA
9. Houston
10. Galveston
11. UTSW
12. AZCOM

Maybe:

13. KCUMB
14. KCOM
15. DMU
16. Tulane
17. Duke
18. Pitt
19. Penn State
20. Case
21. Arkansas
22. MSUCOM

Ok, comments on why you recommended some of these schools would be useful!
 

AStudent

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
877
8
Status
East Lansing is a GREAT college town, you'll never be bored here. Plus there's quite a few hospitals that MSU is affiliated with to allow a broad range of experiences, housing is cheap, and the standard of living is great. (I'm also slightly biased, I go here)

MSUCOM:

Applied/Interviewed/Accepted/Enrolled
Total: 1,609 332 210 143
In-state: 481 254 171 132
Out-of-state: 1,128 78 39 11
Women: 789 182 114 75
Minorities: 476 53 38 18
International: 0 0 0 0


GPA
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.55

MCAT
Overall score (composite): 8.2
Verbal reasoning: 8.0
Physical sciences: 7.9
Biological: 8.7
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
MoosePilot said:
So now I have:

1. USUHS
2. OU
3. OSU-COM
4. Baylor
5. TX A&M
6. TX Tech
7. TCOM
8. UTSA
9. Houston
10. Galveston
11. UTSW
12. AZCOM

Maybe:

13. KCUMB
14. KCOM
15. DMU
16. Tulane
17. Duke
18. Pitt
19. Penn State
20. Case
21. Arkansas
22. MSUCOM

Ok, comments on why you recommended some of these schools would be useful!

Based on geography, your best bets are the 2 oklahoma schools, but I know that KCOM, KCUMB-COM, DMU-COM, and AZCOM readily accepts from out of state. (I was accepted to all of these schools.) I interviewed at Baylor as well, but was a Texas resident.
 

sockandmittens

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
340
0
Status
I'd toss in Ohio State even if it's a little bit of a reach. They like non-traditionals. I know it's a little out of the southern area...
 

peptidoglycan

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
200
0
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tulane really likes 1) military, 2) nontrads, 3) Oklahoma people. Sounds like it's right up your alley. I would move it off your maybe list and onto your yes list. I think you have a really good shot at getting an acceptance.

Good luck.
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
peptidoglycan said:
Tulane really likes 1) military, 2) nontrads, 3) Oklahoma people. Sounds like it's right up your alley. I would move it off your maybe list and onto your yes list. I think you have a really good shot at getting an acceptance.

Good luck.
I very likely will. Now I'm doing some quality time with the MSAR to refine that list and build my final list. Tulane looks like a strong candidate. If they're lucky, maybe they'll make my list :laugh:
 

BeatArmy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
107
0
Birmingham, AL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MoosePilot said:
I very likely will. Now I'm doing some quality time with the MSAR to refine that list and build my final list. Tulane looks like a strong candidate. If they're lucky, maybe they'll make my list :laugh:
If USUHS is your first choice, then I don't think your list needs to be too long. From what I have heard, you should be able to get in there no problem.

I know money isn't too much of an issue for you, and I'm sure you are thinking, "better safe than sorry," but applying and interviewing can be a pain in the ass even if you ignore the money.

Obviously, do as you see fit. But for my two cents, I'd shorten up the list.
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
BeatArmy said:
If USUHS is your first choice, then I don't think your list needs to be too long. From what I have heard, you should be able to get in there no problem.

I know money isn't too much of an issue for you, and I'm sure you are thinking, "better safe than sorry," but applying and interviewing can be a pain in the ass even if you ignore the money.

Obviously, do as you see fit. But for my two cents, I'd shorten up the list.
I just don't want to get cocky. This is going to be my one really good shot. If I don't get in this year, the military will want to PCS me, which incurs a committment, then I can't apply because of the committment... it's too complicated. I'm going to do everything I can to get in this year.

USUHS moves pretty fast. If they accept me, it'll probably be early enough that I can cancel a lot of other stuff.
 

BeatArmy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
107
0
Birmingham, AL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MoosePilot said:
I just don't want to get cocky. This is going to be my one really good shot. If I don't get in this year, the military will want to PCS me, which incurs a committment, then I can't apply because of the committment... it's too complicated. I'm going to do everything I can to get in this year.

USUHS moves pretty fast. If they accept me, it'll probably be early enough that I can cancel a lot of other stuff.
Understood. It's a tough balance.

I'm just saying throw in USUHS, any states schools, a couple DO schools, a couple safety private schools, and a couple reach schools. I think 10 is closer to your number. That plan has enough of a safety net built into it. Aside from the reach schools, the others are all "safety" schools. With your stats and background, should be no problem.

I applied to 9 and it was too many. I knew from the beginning that my state school was probably my first choice. Just couldn't feel confident about it without feeling cocky. I understand.

I would say there is a 99% chance that you will be at USUHS if it is your first choice.

Good luck.

Go Navy!
 

DeepCowboy

You never heard me coming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
200
0
Status
My application at USUHS was complete on 10/14, response from ADCOM in December was "Hold," got interview on 2/3 for 2/24 (declining). I also thought they moved faster than this. 2/24 is their last interview day btw, and they only interview on Thursdays.
 

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
1,671
13
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
As you are a fellow non-trad, this would be my advice for schools other than the UT and OK state systems:

UHUHS
Temple
Drexel
Case
Creighton (in NE)
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
UVermont
Thomas Jefferson
Wake Forest
GW
Loyola in Chicago

B/C you are a URM, you can sprinkle in some other schools (e.g., Stanford, Yale etc.) Case and Creighton really love non-trads. Keep in mind the average age when applying to a school. Do you really want to be in a class with all 22 yr olds?

Good luck
 

lakersfan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
458
0
los angeles, ca
Status
Medical Student
MoosePilot said:
I want a list of schools, something between maybe 15 and 30. I'm looking for assistance from fellow pre-meds.

Here's my info: I'm an OK resident with a 3.25ish overall GPA, 3.0ish BPCM GPA, 36 MCAT. I've shadowed a couple of doctors who are now good friends, volunteered a little at a hospital, but don't have any research background. I've been a military pilot for almost 8 years. I was economically disadvantaged as a youngster, lived in a medically underserved area according to AMCAS, and will probably apply as both white and Native American.

If money isn't much of an issue, what schools should I apply to? The more the merrier with the main cutoff being I don't want to throw money away to apply to a school that accepts less than 10 out of state applicants. I prefer the OK/TX area (well, besides USUHS), but to get an acceptance, I'd apply to every medical school in the country. I plan to apply MD and DO. Schools that are accepting of GPAs will be appreciated.
If I were you, I would check out that huge book (MSAR) put out by AAMC. It has literally all the stats you need (even better is Usnews which breaks down instate and out of state, number interviewed/accepted, etc...its awesome!). I still haven't been accepted to 1 school yet (6 interviews so I'm hopeful) but I would reccomend checking that out. If you want specific schools that I think might be a little bit easier, PM me since I dont want to insult anyone (and I haven't got into med school yet, lol).
 

DrYo12

Y-bomb
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
7,050
3
41
unfathomably much loved
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Moose, I had lesser stats than you, interviewed in October and was accepted by December at USUHS. I had no military letters, so I wouldn't worry about your chances there. Another friend of mine has 6 years prior service in the AF, she had a few military doc letters, interviewed the week before me and was accepted a month before me. She has around the same GPA but significantly lower on the MCAT...
 
OP
MoosePilot

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
DrYo12 said:
Moose, I had lesser stats than you, interviewed in October and was accepted by December at USUHS. I had no military letters, so I wouldn't worry about your chances there. Another friend of mine has 6 years prior service in the AF, she had a few military doc letters, interviewed the week before me and was accepted a month before me. She has around the same GPA but significantly lower on the MCAT...
Thanks for that. I really do appreciate all the help from everyone.
 
About the Ads