Suggestions from current students on gifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would not buy any medically related equipment at this time. Schools have reps from these companies come in and offer discounted merchandise for students.

Members don't see this ad.

If you drink coffee, I love and adore my keurig.

It is more expensive than brewing yourself (depending on how strong you make your home brew) but significantly cheaper than any form of buying coffee by the cup on/near campus. It is about 60 cents a cup using a kurig which isnt that bad. You also have much more variety with the k-cups. I just bought a crap ton of chocolate raspberry truffle cups (just black coffee with the essence of stuff), but we will get everything from regular dunkin donuts to hot chocolate. IIRC I was buying bags of coffee at about $10/bag which, if I used them constantly, I would go through one in about a week, and ended up wasting a lot of coffee that went cold. The cost for me was about a wash.

So I've done a little more research into Keurig/K-Cups and all the ones I've seen in stores (Costco) cost a little under $2 each. I looked online and people say that one K-Cup is good for an 8oz cup of coffee. Starbucks runs about $4 for 12 oz.

I realize $1 per 12 ounces adds up eventually, but is the Keurig thing really worth it in that case?

Love my keurig. If u buy k cups on sale u can get them for about 50cents a pod. A regular coffee maker ifs probably cheaper, but the keurig is quicker, the coffee tastes better, and coffee comes out piping hot.

I saw a commercial for this and it seems pretty cool hybrid between pod n regular. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GUGBS4

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Members don't see this ad :)
The savings is in time. You can make your Starbucks at home instead of having to swing by a Starbucks on the way in to class. Honestly, I'd just stick with a $30 coffee maker and buy the fancy refrigerated flavored creamers.

Love my keurig. If u buy k cups on sale u can get them for about 50cents a pod. A regular coffee maker ifs probably cheaper, but the keurig is quicker, the coffee tastes better, and coffee comes out piping hot.

I saw a commercial for this and it seems pretty cool hybrid between pod n regular. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GUGBS4

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks for the input. The one I have my eye on is $170 at Costco and comes with 60 kcups.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Thanks for the input. The one I have my eye on is $170 at Costco and comes with 60 kcups.

That's the one I bought. It should also come with a my k cup which lets you use your own ground coffee instead of disposable pods.

Like 15 seconds and u have coffee, it had big water reservoir so u don't have to add water every time, our measure. It lets you brew different sizes with push of button, even 16oz tastes good with one pod.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

My wife and I got this coffee maker as a wedding gift:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beac...r_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1355173445&sr=1-2

I absolutely love the thing. I use the single-serve every morning before class. I grind my own beans and fill the reservoir at night, and program it to have the last couple drips coming down into my travel mug as I walk downstairs for my breakfast. My wife has a Keurig in her office at work that she uses. Then on the weekends when we are both drinking from home I make a whole pot fresh.

As far as other gifts; I already had a nice stethoscope from my work in EMS; I got another from my school at my white coat ceremony. My wife still wanted to get me a nice symbolic gift, so she got me a reflex hammer instead. I don't know if I'll ever actually use it during pre-clinical years (and I'm not sure I would want to show up to lab with my own anyway) but it was a nice gift.

Link: http://www.rehabmart.com/product/tromner-hammer-24211.html

OH, and P.S. I bought a collapsible OMM/Exam table to bring home because my school got us a deal. My wife was skeptical about the whole OMM thing at first but now that I've started learning some techniques she's starting to get addicted. Nothing better than spending quality time with your non-medical significant other and still getting to practice at the same time. It's certainly not a requirement to get one though. Especially if you don't have the space to put it up easily.

Last edited:
Everyone is going crazy over these fancy coffee makers. Where my French Press people at. 20 dollar grinder and a 15 dollar french press can make some of the best coffee you've ever tasted. Not to mention If you can find an independent roaster that orders its own beans you can open yourself to a whole new world of flavors. Starbucks cant even come close.

That's the one I bought. It should also come with a my k cup which lets you use your own ground coffee instead of disposable pods.

Like 15 seconds and u have coffee, it had big water reservoir so u don't have to add water every time, our measure. It lets you brew different sizes with push of button, even 16oz tastes good with one pod.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Wow awesome. Thanks for the info. I haven't decided if I want to buy it now or wait til med school starts. If I buy now I can experiment and figure out what I like but then I also have to worry about transporting it if/when I move.

Everyone is going crazy over these fancy coffee makers. Where my French Press people at. 20 dollar grinder and a 15 dollar french press can make some of the best coffee you've ever tasted. Not to mention If you can find an independent roaster that orders its own beans you can open yourself to a whole new world of flavors. Starbucks cant even come close.

Sounds like a lot of work.. And a lot of cleaning!

I have a French press and an aero press. It's good, but too much work. When I'm in a rush in the morning the keurig is unbeatable.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I have a French press and an aero press. It's good, but too much work. When I'm in a rush in the morning the keurig is unbeatable.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

i always felt like the keurig takes just as much time as the french press and makes ****ter coffee

what up dawg! french press FTW

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I'm not hipster enough for a French Press

Sounds like a lot of work.. And a lot of cleaning!

It really doesn't take that much work. In less than 10 minutes you can boil water, grind your beans (always make sure its a course grind or you're ganna have a bad time), pour it all in the press, let it steep (2 minutes), push down the filter and you have wonderful coffee made to your preference of strength and flavor. I am serious when I say the that the quality of the product is much better. Clean up is easy to just pour the left over grinds in the garbage and rinse the press.

It really doesn't take that much work. In less than 10 minutes you can boil water, grind your beans (always make sure its a course grind or you're ganna have a bad time), pour it all in the press, let it steep (2 minutes), push down the filter and you have wonderful coffee made to your preference of strength and flavor. I am serious when I say the that the quality of the product is much better. Clean up is easy to just pour the left over grinds in the garbage and rinse the press.

And you have to do all that for one cup of coffee? I know that french presses come in a variety of sizes but I assume you make one serving at a time?

I'm not a coffee connoisseur so I frankly wouldn't notice or be able to appreciate the difference.

I love french press coffee but after buying my own I stopped using it because I cant figure out the right ratio. I love strong coffee but dont want to waste grounds either. How do you experts measure, any advice?!

I love french press coffee but after buying my own I stopped using it because I cant figure out the right ratio. I love strong coffee but dont want to waste grounds either. How do you experts measure, any advice?!

60g per L is considered the standard for a good balance for your coffee (one of the reasons I was skeptical of the K-cups is its the same amount of coffee no mater how much water the machine adds) this article goes kinda in-depth into Yeild/Strength ratios.

http://portafilter.net/?p=604

And just fyi this link kinda goes into more detail on the brewing of good coffee in general. Hope you enjoy.
http://blog.moertel.com/pages/coders-guide-to-coffee

10 min for French press, 15 seconds for keurig... plus I'm always scrambling in the morning...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

10 min for French press, 15 seconds for keurig... plus I'm always scrambling in the morning...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Same here and that's the main reason something quick is so valuable to me.

haha not a man but gotta love it

sooooo many uses for this meme :D

who_uses_the_web_funny-1.jpg

sooooo many uses for this meme :D

who_uses_the_web_funny-1.jpg

I actually have never seen this one before! I'm glad you shared it!

And nbd...since I have a gender neutral pic and handle (it's actually rugby related so i guess u cud say its more masculine) i'm used to being misgendered on here. doesn't bother me.