Suggestions in studying for the QR section on the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dolly12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to SDN and wanted to seek advice on how to better my QR score on the DAT. I have recently taken the DAT and did fairly well on all the other sections of the exam but the QR section. I will have to, unfortunately, retake the exam due to this. For all those who have taken the exam and scored an 18+ for this section, what materials or methods did you use? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

DAT Bootcamp has done a nice job altering their QR practice questions to reflect what you're going to see on the recently updated QR section. Their explanations for each question are excellent as well. I also highly recommend buying the Destroyer book for QR, it helped a ton. Math was my weakest subject coming into studying and I was able to pull off a 24 on the test. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
BC is good to shwo you what is represented on the exam. In the end, its all about practice. Ive heard destroyer has good practice. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
DAT Bootcamp has done a nice job altering their QR practice questions to reflect what you're going to see on the recently updated QR section. Their explanations for each question are excellent as well. I also highly recommend buying the Destroyer book for QR, it helped a ton. Math was my weakest subject coming into studying and I was able to pull off a 24 on the test. Hope this helps!

Oh man, that is awesome! Congrats on your score. What year for the QR Destroyer book did you happen to use? Also, thank you so much for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
BC is good to shwo you what is represented on the exam. In the end, its all about practice. Ive heard destroyer has good practice. Good luck!

I also believe practice is the key here, and I will admit I could have practiced much more for the QR section. I will most likely use the QR destroyer book in the beginning and take the BC practice exams when I feel comfortable with the QR Destroyer book. Thank you tiper15 !

Reactions: 1 user
I also believe practice is the key here, and I will admit I could have practiced much more for the QR section. I will most likely use the QR destroyer book in the beginning and take the BC practice exams when I feel comfortable with the QR Destroyer book. Thank you tiper15 !
No problem! BC is really good because they added the new quantitative comparison part of the exam that was not there before; Kaplan didn't.

It might be a little biased since math was one of my strongest backgrounds prior to going into the test. When taking the DAT, I noticed that some concepts repeated multiple times throughout the exam such as trigonometry, statistics (combination/permutation), and age problems like Karen currently is 2X older than Macy, in four years Karen will be X+5 older than Macy. How old are they currently or in five years? Make sure to pay attention to key words like in the previous problem currently or five years are key words as misinterpretation of the phrasing will result in a wrong answer. Review some pertinent equations and concepts you've noticed that are repeated multiple times, then you're all set!

Preparing for the QR section of the DAT can be challenging, especially since the pre-dental curriculum at most colleges and universities centers around the sciences rather than mathematics. The QR section has also been changing significantly over the course of the past year, with the introduction of quantitative comparison, data sufficiency, and data interpretation questions. I recommend that you try to find resources when preparing for the QR section of the DAT that reflect these changes. Good luck studying!

I am definitely not confident in my math. I never really liked the subject other than basic algebra. I studied every Boot Camp practice test by going through each test, question by question, learning the structure and how to do them and memorizing the formulas. I also briefly reviewed Chad's videos on QR to learn shortcuts to the specific types of questions that have a high yield. After I went through all of the Boot Camp QR tests I redid them, I didn't have the questions memorized by the time I restarted on Test 1 so it was back to being "new" for me. I got a 19 on the official which isn't great, but it was great for me since I was least confident in that section