Suggestions on Proper Female Attire for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimmysgirls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are all the other ladies wearing to their Pharmacy School interviews?

This is my first year applying to pharmacy school and I have my first interview coming up at the end of September. I have looked through other posts related to this topic but that are all 4-5 years old and say to wear black or navy suits. Is this still the standard. I was thinking about wearing some color to hopefully stand out a bit? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you choose to incorporate color into your interview outfit, be cautious. Stay away from ANY loud or neon colors (ie red or any shade that looks like a highlighter). Those colors tend to scream 'desperately trying too hard'. Darker plum colors and rich greens are appropriate as long as they're done tastefully. Minimal jewelry and comfortable (read: flat or modest heels) shoes. Six inch showgirl shoes are just as tacky as neon yellow. And, above all, NO Joker-brand makeup! My best advice for making a lasting impression based on your appearance alone is to smile and make eye contact. Engage the person you're speaking to and really show interest in what they're talking about. Make sure your outfit is comfortable...because if it's ill-fitting people will be able to see your discomfort when you have to adjust some article of clothing every five minutes. Congrats on your interview and GOOD LUCK :)

If you choose to incorporate color into your interview outfit, be cautious. Stay away from ANY loud or neon colors (ie red or any shade that looks like a highlighter). Those colors tend to scream 'desperately trying too hard'. Darker plum colors and rich greens are appropriate as long as they're done tastefully. Minimal jewelry and comfortable (read: flat or modest heels) shoes. Six inch showgirl shoes are just as tacky as neon yellow. And, above all, NO Joker-brand makeup! My best advice for making a lasting impression based on your appearance alone is to smile and make eye contact. Engage the person you're speaking to and really show interest in what they're talking about. Make sure your outfit is comfortable...because if it's ill-fitting people will be able to see your discomfort when you have to adjust some article of clothing every five minutes. Congrats on your interview and GOOD LUCK :)
Thank you so much! Your answer was exactly what I needed to know. I just have one more question if you don't mind... Jackets? Do you feel they are necessary? I'm leaning towards grey charcoal pants, but I don't know about a jacket.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! Your answer was exactly what I needed to know. I just have one more question if you don't mind... Jackets? Do you feel they are necessary? I'm leaning towards grey charcoal pants, but I don't know about a jacket.

Any thoughts?

I don't mind at all :) Jackets are great if your interview is during cold weather months. However, if the pants aren't part of a suit set I wouldn't bother as long as you have on a really nice blouse or a button-up. Oh and one more tip...tuck your shirt in and wear a belt. It gives your outfit a really polished (read: professional) look. I hope this helps!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I think I have a good idea of which route I'm going to go!

However, if the pants aren't part of a suit set I wouldn't bother as long as you have on a really nice blouse or a button-up[/B].

I agree with this comment! It unfortunately took me a while (thankfully before pharm school interview) to realize not all blank dress pants match with black jackets/blazers especially texture-wise.

One other note is that if you can afford it, think about investing money to purchase a suit set. I think it will come in handy in long run :) If not, nice blouse with dress pants is always a good choice.
Good luck!

I wore a black sheath dress with a black blazer. Grey tights, a simple piece of silver jewelry, and for color I had a scarf. It was my sister's, a mix of pastel dots.

I agree with this comment! It unfortunately took me a while (thankfully before pharm school interview) to realize not all blank dress pants match with black jackets/blazers especially texture-wise.

One other note is that if you can afford it, think about investing money to purchase a suit set. I think it will come in handy in long run :) If not, nice blouse with dress pants is always a good choice.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice. I would love to buy a suit but my only hesitation is I am currently 9 months pregnant due ten days before my interview. So whatever I buy, I probably wont be able to wear again. I think I'm going to go with dress pants and a nice button down shirt, its summer in Phoenix so I may sweat to death in a jacket.

Haha this made me think of the first Batman movie with Jack Nicholson doing the commercial with the "love that joker," line.

DO NOT show up to an interview without a blazer or suit jacket. You will be the only one. You can be professional without one, but that is business casual. An interview is NOT business casual. I strongly, strongly, pretty much desperately am telling you - WEAR A SUIT JACKET.