suit color for interview - is light brown/dark tan acceptable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bringindafunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know people have asked suit questions before. it's not that i don't have enough money to buy a suit, i just feel comfortable in this one but don't want it to hurt me on the upcoming interview.

here's basically what i would look like (i also have a blue shirt/silver tie). douchey pose is optional

comments welcome. keep in mind my interview is this weekend so i guess the alternative would be to rent a suit from men's warehouse.

Members don't see this ad.

but people are always saying wear black. i don't own a black suit and don't feel like spending money on a new suit which i'm not sure is necessary. just trying to assuage my anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
but people are always saying wear black. i don't own a black suit and don't feel like spending money on a new suit which i'm not sure is necessary. just trying to assuage my anxiety.

If you want to look just like everyone else, then by all means, wear black. Nobody is going to sit there and judge you negatively for having the audacity to spice it up a bit. If anything, the opposite is true.

As for me, black is for funerals and little else. I have little desire to be just another one of what LizzyM's colleague referred to as "the somberly clad".

I wore a dark brown suit.

As long as you're not wearing hot pink, I think you'll be okay...

:rolleyes:

i should probably grow a mustache to complete the used car salesmen look though.

thanks everyone and good luck

but people are always saying wear black.

That's because black is a safe color. On a thread a while back, LizzyM made a comment to the effect that one of the adcom members said he was so tired of the black suits, the next person that walked in wearing a lime green suit would be accepted on the spot.

I think it looks nice.

maybe all that matters is the man in the mirror.

rip king of pop

seriously thanks all. best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you don't sit like the tool in the pic, you should be good. lol I've seen all shades of suits on my interview days. Only at one interview was everyone wearing black (I was in grey)...they looked funny and depressed, imo

I wore a gray suit to all my interviews so far. Every time I have gotten a comment with the whole group listening with an admissions person asking why everyone else is wearing black.

I think it's fine. But FYI, in all my interviews, I didn't see a single guy in a light colored suit like that. Just for your information.

All you guys out there with gray suits must be real non-conformists.

And I'm getting pretty sick of the "funeral procession" jokes at interviews. Suits are expensive as hell, and if I have to own one, I'd rather have one that I can also use when I really am at a funeral.

I wear a gray pin-stripe suit to interviews and I haven't noticed any problems :).

It looks good and it doesn't seem like anyone actually cares at the interviews, but you will probably be the only one wearing something that light. If you don't care (there's probably no reason you should), then by all means wear it.

And I'm getting pretty sick of the "funeral procession" jokes at interviews. Suits are expensive as hell, and if I have to own one, I'd rather have one that I can also use when I really am at a funeral.

No one said you had to buy Armani, broski...

There is nothing wrong with wearing a charcoal/navy blue suit to a funeral. Although the tan one like the OP posted might not be the best choice for a funeral.

i think anything buisinessy and not distracting is fine. i feel kind of weird about the fact that i'm wearing a black suit, seems so funereal. i am very bad at dressing businesslike though so the whole thing feels weird to me.