Summer after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I study the most during break between ms1 and ms2? I was thinking path, micro, and physio. My plan to go through the lange micro/immuno book, brs path, physio and HY cell and molec bio. Does this sound good? Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

allendo said:
What should I study the most during break between ms1 and ms2? I was thinking path, micro, and physio. My plan to go through the lange micro/immuno book, brs path, physio and HY cell and molec bio. Does this sound good? Any other suggestions?

"Hi! I'm an irrational gunner who wants to spend his last free summer of his life studying things that I'm going to immediately forget once Summer's over in the hopes of it being some miniscule benefit to a test that I'm taking in over a year!"

Pompacil said:
"Hi! I'm an irrational gunner who wants to spend his last free summer of his life studying things that I'm going to immediately forget once Summer's over in the hopes of it being some miniscule benefit to a test that I'm taking in over a year!"
I'm sorry that your long term memory sucks so bad. I for one will not forget what I learn b/c I don't cram! Check yo self before you wreck yo self BEEEOCH!

allendo said:

totally UNNECESSARY to study ANYTHING. Enjoy your last free summer for a very loooong time...

but, a kinda light reading book is USMLE Step 1 secrets.

bonnie

Members don't see this ad :)
missbonnie said:
totally UNNECESSARY to study ANYTHING. Enjoy your last free summer for a very loooong time...

but, a kinda light reading book is USMLE Step 1 secrets.

bonnie
Thanks

allendo said:
I'm sorry that your long term memory sucks so bad. I for one will not forget what I learn b/c I don't cram! Check yo self before you wreck yo self BEEEOCH!

I stand by what I said above. If you want to waste your last summer studying for step one and forget everything by October that's cool. It's totally not necessary to even start thinking about the exam until around march of your second year. But if you feel you HAVE to do something then buy First Aid and go through that a few times.

Sorry about my first post, by the way. It's been a rough day.

allendo said:

If your long term memory were that great, you would already know all of the bugs and path and there would be not need for studying during the summer.

deuist said:
If your long term memory were that great, you would already know all of the bugs and path and there would be not need for studying during the summer.
My main goal is to fill in any gaps that my proffs might not have.

allendo said:

Honestly, dont do anything. If you are planning to do something see if your school has summer programs for students who need help in biochem, physio, or whatever. That way, at least you would get paid for it and it does pay off to actually teach someone something. But, I would not do anything. Just take the time off. You could listen to goljan but you are better off listening to him throughout your second year, and when it gets close to board prep. You will not regret that you did that you did rest a bit. good luck.

DOctorJay said:
no studying, just listen to Goljan all summer!
:thumbup: , I did this while working out during my summer between first and second year. Learning by osmosis.

and Dong killed the thing, just look back at some of his posts - wish I had gotten into it sooner!

a few M2s recommended lightly reviewing my M1 classes (mostly phys, biochem, and a lil anatomy)....any thoughts on doing this? is it a waste of time? the goljan audio thing sounds like a good idea for working out/car

You won't understand goljan if you haven't yet had 2nd year courses.

Don't worry about the boards at this point, but if you really want to study over break, then review the 1st year courses to prepare for 2nd year. This means physiology, especially cardiac and renal, as this will help you with the path for those blocks. Forget about biochem and anatomy, that stuff is essentially useless for 2nd year classes. Good luck.

chitown82 said:
a few M2s recommended lightly reviewing my M1 classes (mostly phys, biochem, and a lil anatomy)....any thoughts on doing this? is it a waste of time? the goljan audio thing sounds like a good idea for working out/car

Pompacil said:

I disagree with this notion. A large component of Step I is physiology. A good understanding of physiology will also help you with understanding the more clinically related classes like pathology and pathophysiology. If you were a student who just got by meaning 70-80% in your classes, I would strongly encourage you to read physiology and biochem over the summer. It will help when you review those concepts again in the Spring of you MSII when prepping for the boards. If you were someone who did well in their classes, then I wouldn't worry so much about studying over the summer since it will just be a matter of review for you.

novacek88 said:
I disagree with this notion. A large component of Step I is physiology. A good understanding of physiology will also help you with understanding the more clinically related classes like pathology and pathophysiology. If you were a student who just got by meaning 70-80% in your classes, I would strongly encourage you to read physiology and biochem over the summer. It will help when you review those concepts again in the Spring of you MSII when prepping for the boards. If you were someone who did well in their classes, then I wouldn't worry so much about studying over the summer since it will just be a matter of review for you.

What is it about med students? First thing they want to do once they get out of class is STUDY MORE. You are aware that you don't get any more summers after you start second year right?

I know everyone wants to get over 250 and that's cool. But you can still pull that off even if you don't put an ounce of work in over the summer. If you want to study physio, FA, or Goljan the med school jesus then go for it. But in my opinion, you're wasting your time. Buy the time 2nd year is over, your brain's gonna be full of path, pharm, and micro charts anyway. I just don't think the results merit the time you put into it.

mcandy said:
no study!!! beer, whiskey, wine coolers.

wine coolers??

somehow I don't see a whiskey drinker as someone who also partakes in the occasional wine cooler

DW3843 said:
wine coolers??

somehow I don't see a whiskey drinker as someone who also partakes in the occasional wine cooler

i am secure in my masculinity...and chicks dig it...especially Island tropics flavored.

You definitely don't have to ruin your summer if you study, just don't study if it's painful. If you like studying some pathology, it's a great move to get a leg up for second year. It helped me out a lot. Goljan's lectures are fabulous, and the more you listen to them the more they'll stick. You won't get everything, but some areas like GI don't require a strong physiology understanding. I was able to enjoy my summer and get some studying in for second year, and I really reccomend it if you enjoy what you're learning about.

Pompacil said:
Allegedly they dig popped colalrs and pink shirts, that doesn't mean you should do it.

Self respect man.