• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Sep 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

Currently about halfway through the my sophomore spring semester, and have applied to some internships. I ended up getting accepted by one, which is a genetics data-curation internship that contributes allelic information to an online database. I accepted the offer, because I still have another interview possibility and didn't know if they were going to offer an acceptance. Long story short, I'm not so sure I have a genuine interest in either of them after learning a little bit more (especially bc they are virtual and the zoom fatigue after 3 semesters of this is too real) :confused:. I will already be an autism behavioral health tech providing in-home services this summer.

This genetics internship I got accepted to was very competitive and the team really seemed to like me, so I would feel very guilty for backing down after having accepted. I did a bioinformatics virtual internship last summer and have done over 400 hrs at this point with this research professor (although all virtually because of COVID). Would it be a bad choice to back out of this competitive research internship? Actually, oddly enough, through all of this research experience I realized I am not the biggest fan of it.

I truly miss volunteering, and would definitely look into doing that and shadowing. I would be taking a gap year before med school. Sheesh, sometimes I have to remind myself that I am only 19 and probably deserve to just have a fun summer without boat loads of stress.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.