Summer before med-school...What are your plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloGoodbye

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I was just curious what all the MS-0's were up to their summer before medical school?

My plans:

Work about 25-30 hours a week
Run/cycle as many miles as I can
Plan my wedding (hence the work)
Sleep as much as I can
Go out...a lot

I just thought it would be fun

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,

I was just curious what all the MS-0's were up to their summer before medical school?

My plans:

Work about 25-30 hours a week
Run/cycle as many miles as I can
Plan my wedding (hence the work)
Sleep as much as I can
Go out...a lot

I just thought it would be fun

Running, Cycling, Swimming, beach, video games, going out a ton, and living off of graduation money :D

Most relaxing summer of my life

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to do all the stuff I won't have much time for once med school starts. Not working too much, just enough to keep me from getting really bored, reading a lot, visiting college friends, cooking, working out, relaxing.

you spend 25-30 hours a week planning a wedding?! thats some crazy wedding

I'm going to make a wild guess and say you got a 5 on the verbal section of the MCAT? :laugh:

LOL... NO. I work my job at the hospital 25-30 hours a week. What I meant is that I have to work so I can pay for the wedding. LOL.

P.S. I got an 11 not a 5 on VR.:p

LOL... NO. I work my job at the hospital 25-30 hours a week. What I meant is that I have to work so I can pay for the wedding. LOL.

P.S. I got an 11 not a 5 on VR.:p

lol, I was referring the guy that quoted you :D

I read somewhere that the average bride spends 40 hours a week planning & preparing for her wedding. This is why you should either hire a wedding planner to do everything or just run off to Vegas.

I read somewhere that the average bride spends 40 hours a week planning & preparing for her wedding. This is why you should either hire a wedding planner to do everything or just run off to Vegas.

Rent a judge, clean back yard (optional), invite family (optional; unless you're using the family's back yard). Shouldn't take more than a few hours. Add a few more hours for dress/tux selection. It's a wedding, not a mission to Mars.

Finishing my thesis, driving across the country with my brother with all of my stuff, then going to backpacking with him in Nepal for a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go on a vacation.
Buy/move into a house, if we haven't already.
Spend time with my offspring!

Going to Korea with one of my best friends as long as I can finagle a couple extra thousand dollars out of my student loans. If I can't I will beg parents. If that doesn't work I will just work or something. Maybe I can get a chemical engineering job for the summer haha.

First of all: quitting my job the last day of this month (WOOHOOO), then going to New Orleans first week of July, then trip to Cape Cod for my cousin's wedding (which is going to be a BLAST) last week of July. The two weeks in between will be dedicated to moving in to my new place and spending as much time at the pool as possible! Can't wait for June to be done so I can get next month started! :D

finishing work in 2 weeks, then spending 2 months in england/greece/ethiopia!

probably drop a lot of acid and follow phish around for a few weeks

Quit job, get married, move, honeymoon to Puerto Rico

-Working full-time until the end of June
-Working out as much as I can (hopefully I can still find enough time during med school)
-Head to Kauai for a week! (I've never been anywhere tropical in my life)
-Spend time with family and friends.

Does anyone suggest doing some research (especially to those of us who want to do a research heavy residency such as rad/onc)? I kind of want to go to another country and become better at speaking that language while teaching English there... Teaching English in that country can be extremely lucrative - I could probably earn ~$15k that summer.

- doing epi research full-time until school starts (leaving two weeks break in between) gotta pay my rent!!!
- tutoring my sister for the SAT :)
- spending time with my family!
- reading as many leisure books as I can
- ballet/taekwondo/yoga

beach, soaking in my beloved LA and Newport Beach, shopping, tanning, moving out of my college apartment, spending time with my parents and friends, maybe a cruise, a backstreet boys concert (yes, you read that right), watching tons of tv, and moving across the country the third week of July. and yet...I'll probably get bored.

Tutor MCAT privately to earn some cash (dear Lord it's such a lucrative job).

Then travel, cooking, try hang-gliding, play some computer games, and go out!

Woot. What a life.

-Working full-time until the end of June
-Working out as much as I can (hopefully I can still find enough time during med school)
-Head to Kauai for a week! (I've never been anywhere tropical in my life)
-Spend time with family and friends.

Are you into hiking? The Na Pali coast is pretty amazing, if you're up for it I'd recommend taking ~4 days to do it. I did it in 3 and wish I had had more time.

The series of posts after this were funny. But I definitely spent 25-30/wk many weeks planning our wedding (on top of/sometimes during my 40hr/wk job... lots of wedding blog reading procrastination at work!), and most of the time I loved it! We thought it would be a simple wedding... but most never really are "simple" for the couple planning them...

What I'm doing this summer:
Continuing to work FT til July 31
Learning how to cook some exciting things from friends and family
Getting into a good exercise and yoga rhythm
Reading books I probably won't have time for once school starts
Enjoying my last months where I live, visiting new places, saying goodbyes
Moving back to the US

Are you into hiking? The Na Pali coast is pretty amazing, if you're up for it I'd recommend taking ~4 days to do it. I did it in 3 and wish I had had more time.

Yes, I love hiking and was told Kauai was the place to go for it. I just got a guidebook so I will definitely look into the Na Pali coast. Thanks for the advice! So much to do, so little time :)

Case starts two weeks after my School's graduation. So, I plan to pack. Also move. : /

I'm not going to med school next year, but I do get to remove lead paint from a house. Good times.

Yes, I love hiking and was told Kauai was the place to go for it. I just got a guidebook so I will definitely look into the Na Pali coast. Thanks for the advice! So much to do, so little time :)

Na Pali is definitely worth it, it's by far the biggest hiking attraction in Kauaii, but I didn't find it to be overrun with people (after the first mile). I've heard some of the stuff in the middle of the island is pretty cool so long as you don't mind being wet the entire time.

The diving in Kauaii is also pretty good if you're into that. There are more turtles there than I've every seen anywhere else. It's kind of insane. The lava arches are pretty cool as well, it's like a giant underwater playground.

I am the perfect example of lazy. I sleep 10 hours/night on average, I'm trying to finish a stack of video games, four different TV series, seven or so books, and hang out with my friends as much as possible. It's the last time I'm living with my parents and I'm pretty sure they just see me as a drain on resources at this point. :laugh:

I will be quitting both of my jobs at the end of the month, geting married, and going on my honeymoon to San Miguel Allende, Mexico :D. When I get back, I will try to catch up on all the stuff I will probably put aside once med school starts, piano, breakdancing, and Rock Band.

Everybody is saying they are quitting their job so soon! I wish I could, but will still be working until the first week of August. (Orientation starts the 3rd week).

working the crap outta my body
watching the world cup
getting in as much video game time as possible
finishing Seinfeld (i started watching Curb before Seinfeld haha)
hanging out with my frat bros as much as i can
catching as many yankees games as possible at the stadium:D