Summer Dental Job..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Britty894

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,
As most college students, Im looking for a job for the summer. I was thinking rather than being a waitress or working retail like everyone else, maybe i could get a job doing something related to dentistry. I talked to one receptionist/manager from a dentists office and she suggested mailing out little resumes and a small cover letter telling what I was looking to do to several local dentists. The problem is.. i dont really know what to suggest that I do... receptionist.. assistant? Should i just tell them im interested in pretty much doing anything? Do you think its possible to get some sort of job at an office for the summer or has anyone done something like this? Thanks!
oh.. and im a junior... applying to dental school next year. :)
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yall,
As most college students, Im looking for a job for the summer. I was thinking rather than being a waitress or working retail like everyone else, maybe i could get a job doing something related to dentistry. I talked to one receptionist/manager from a dentists office and she suggested mailing out little resumes and a small cover letter telling what I was looking to do to several local dentists. The problem is.. i dont really know what to suggest that I do... receptionist.. assistant? Should i just tell them im interested in pretty much doing anything? Do you think its possible to get some sort of job at an office for the summer or has anyone done something like this? Thanks!
oh.. and im a junior... applying to dental school next year. :)
:)

get a job in a dental lab-- the frontline of dentistry.

so you think i should send the same thing to the dental labs? I think there is 5 or 6 here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest trying to find a dental assistant position. Some dentists are willing to train you and it will give you great side-chair experience. But realistically I would not turn down any position in the dental field.

so you think i should send the same thing to the dental labs? I think there is 5 or 6 here.

yes. tell them you want to learn everything about dentistry.

I don't know if many dentists are going to want to train someone as an assistant who is only interested in working there for a few months over the summer. By the time you finally were getting the hang of how he wanted everything, you would be leaving. I worked in an office as a sanitation assistant.....that is pretty much a glorified way of saying I was the maid. I sanitized all of the instruments & opperatiories, processed & duplicated x-rays, set up rooms for the next procedure, stocked rooms, etc. The job sucked......but I still learned a lot by being there and because the dentists new I wanted to go to school they taught me things that they normally wouldn't have this type of assistant do. For example, I took impressions, made models, and completed other lab work for them. These were all tasks you could pick up quickly.

To get the job, I just sent a cover letter explaining my situation....ie: wanted to go to dental school and I was looking for a position in an office so that I could gain experience in the field/make sure it is truly what I wanted to do.