Summer Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camp0588

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard many veterinarians and 4th year vet students say over and over that they wish they would have used their summers differently (ie. low stress job vs. high stress summer internship). I am just completing my second year of vet school, so this will be my last official summer vacation and I have opportunities for both low and high commitment jobs. I am really still unsure of how I want to track, and have an opportunity to do a swine research internship with a very reputable management company, or I could go back to the old home clinic, get paid minimum wage and relax by the lake in the evenings.

Would I be a ***** for passing up a major resume boosting research opportunity? Any advice on how to not waste my last summer? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to do swine when you graduate?

In general, my advice is to do whatever with further your resume and open up new contacts in the field you want to pursue.

If you don't really want to do either, maybe look for a third option. In the end, only you know what will be best for you. I tend to have severe FOMO when it comes to stuff like this, so I always choose more work over less. I worked and did research both summers - no regrets.

I'm using my last summer ever doing an internship that requires me move halfway across the country, not really giving me time with my family. BUT... i have absolutely no regrets. I get to travel, network, and explore a side of veterinary medicine I've never experienced. You'll have a great time with whatever decision you make. But if you plan on specializing, or have an internship program you really want to get into, networking goes so far in this field. Whatever gives you a leg up! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard many veterinarians and 4th year vet students say over and over that they wish they would have used their summers differently (ie. low stress job vs. high stress summer internship). I am just completing my second year of vet school, so this will be my last official summer vacation and I have opportunities for both low and high commitment jobs. I am really still unsure of how I want to track, and have an opportunity to do a swine research internship with a very reputable management company, or I could go back to the old home clinic, get paid minimum wage and relax by the lake in the evenings.

Would I be a ***** for passing up a major resume boosting research opportunity? Any advice on how to not waste my last summer? Thanks!
If you want to practice swine medicine, it would probably be worth your while. Maybe I'm just around some really competitive people, but nearly every person in my class who wants to work with swine (either 100%, or just wants to do some swine work) has presented at least a poster at a swine conference. Idk much about swine medicine careers but it seems like they have a real drive to be a part of research. Can you talk to production faculty (especially if you have a swine person) and see what they recommend for you?

Another way of looking at it is that you've already got experience with the home clinic. Unless you know for sure that the vet(s) there will allow you to increase your skills (maybe scrub into surgery, spay/neuter, anything you haven't done there yet), it may not be that beneficial for you vs. swine research, which is something to boost your resume. I get wanting to relax at home though.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you know for sure that the vet(s) there will allow you to increase your skills (maybe scrub into surgery, spay/neuter, anything you haven't done there yet), it may not be that beneficial for you vs. swine research, which is something to boost your resume. I get wanting to relax at home though.

I was just talking to my PI about this. We love talking about wellness in the the profession... but there's no escaping the brutal competitiveness and the stress it brings in our field. We gotta keep trucking =P

I spent my summers doing DICK.

Like I slept a lot and painted the house and did landscaping, but otherwise, nah.

I don't regret it. I also didn't pursue any sort of residency, so... perhaps that would have made a difference.

But I got soooo much sleep...

My girlfriend spent two different summers. Once she went on summer internship and the other year she has found a good job where she got a lot of practice. I am sure that job is better.

I'm not too worried about getting a number of surgeries under my belt before clinics or graduation. I'd rather do some clinical stuff and network in industry during my internship than be stuck in a GP practice all summer. It really depends what your priorities and goals are.

I'd say to either choose enjoyment or earning good money, but not resume boosting. Enjoyment and relaxation is important for mental health, and good money is always helpful in a situation where money is always owing. I had a few classmates who worked auto factory jobs, and those earnings did a lot to help them with debt.