summer housing at Philadelphia

Started by shux
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shux

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be in Philadelphia this summer (one month) for an externship at the Penn vet school. I'm looking for a place to stay that's pretty close to the vet school and would be safe to walk to late at night. Anyone looking for a sublet or have any recommendations?
 
Last edited:
This is probably not important but I lived in Philadelphia for 16 years and I am very familiar with the area around UPenn. I would argue that anywhere within walking distance of the university that isn't on the university campus itself isn't safe to walk in. Would you be able to stay somewhere just outside of Philly? Philadelphia has an enormous SEPTA bus system (there is literally a bus stop on every single corner). It may be beneficial to find somewhere ~20 minutes away and use the bus system. It'll probably also be cheaper, as Philadelphia is expensive to live in (8% tax yikes) and even more expensive to rent in.
 
I disagree. I lived off campus during vet school and felt super safe, still live in the neighborhood. Email whoever set up your externship (sorry they've changed the folks in charge around since I graduated so I'm not sure who that is anymore) and they will send out an email to all the current vet students.
 
I have an apartment that I am looking to sublet during the summer but it is on Temple University's main campus. Approximately 10 minute drive to Penn or a short public transportation commute. It is a two bedroom 1 bath apartment. Most likely there will not be anyone else living here. I volunteer at PennVet and make the commute all of the time.