Summer Leaderships?, Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beanz111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's another question from the newbie..2nd sem. Soph. and I really want to know what steps I should be taking to build up my applications for med school in the next few semesters...I'm just a tad bit clueless LoL
~ Should I be finding volunteer work or jobs in hospitals or clinics?
~What kind of leadership positions should I be searching for?
~ Would it be wise to start searching for volunteer opportunities in the medical field that I'm interested in?

ThanX alot!
BeaN :)

Members don't see this ad.

Beanz111 said:
Here's another question from the newbie..2nd sem. Soph. and I really want to know what steps I should be taking to build up my applications for med school in the next few semesters...I'm just a tad bit clueless LoL
~ Should I be finding volunteer work or jobs in hospitals or clinics?
~What kind of leadership positions should I be searching for?
~ Would it be wise to start searching for volunteer opportunities in the medical field that I'm interested in?

ThanX alot!
BeaN :)

Yes, medical volunteering is almost essential.

Volunteer in the ER in a hospital, or take an EMT course and become a volunteer EMT (you can also get paid for this.)

OSUdoc08 said:
Yes, medical volunteering is almost essential.
QUOTE]

I don't think volunteering in a hospital adds much to your application at all. Just about everyone does it, so it doesn't really set you apart. Something to keep in mind if your only reason for volunteering is to put in your app.

Why not kill two birds with one stone and set yourself apart by starting your own program or a chapter of some other organization? There are several groups with such opportunities, such as Students for Organ Donation (www.studentdonor.org) (which I am a part of), Unite for Sight, Student Global AIDS Campaign, and many others.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that you volunteer because you show a concern for your fellow man and also use the opportunity to gain experience in the medical setting.

But many people don't start volunteering until college. So I recommend that you go to your premed advising office and ask them; they usually have a binder full of available opportunities.

Or if you're in city, just contact the volunteer department of the major hospitals around. They all have a standard position for all pre-meds to get some time in.

i would say not to limit yourself to medical opportunities alone, a few acquaintances of mine do volunteer firefighting, just a suggestion, and I guess it would give you an opportunity to actually set yourself apart, because who won't have volunteer hours ina hospital/clinic?

A friend and I may have a chance to do volunteer work in England to help former drug addicts and the homeless get back on their feet. And Thanx alot Dr. Pepper I have heard of being involved with the students for organ donation and starting a chapter at my school is something I would love to do..finally get myself and them involved with something!...Thanx! :D