Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got into MD Anderson! I'm a little sad to turn them down, but I know I'll be doing cancer research either way​
I also got in! Congrats on your other acceptance though.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard back from UCincinnati or the Leadership Alliance? I'm fretting.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland)! Anyone else planning on going here/done this program in the past?

Reactions: 1 user
Got in MD Anderson for the second summer! Can't wait to go back to Houston

Thanks! I think I submitted on Feb. 1 or Jan 31 because I found out about it last minute. After we're assigned a mentor we have one week to accept the offer. I applied to multiple, but I don't remember which ones exactly; I don't think I applied to the Neuroscience one

I applied to UC SURF as soon as the application came out (november) and I heard they review them on a rolling basis...do you think I should email them and ask if they received my app?

Is there a separate thread for NIH-SIP!?!?!?!
Seems like no one has applied to this or everyone is still in the shadows about it..

To all that applied to NIH.. What are your preferred centers?

Hey! I applied to the NIAID and I got into a bacterial pathogenesis laboratory. Currently I work with bacteria so I thought it was in my favor to apply ot an IC where I would have some background

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to NIH. They don't have a centralized selection process (unless you applied to their new AMGEN or community college programs), so you;re responsible for finding a PI willing to take you. As far as I know there is no separate thread here for the SIP.

I'm hoping to get placed in NIMH, NINDS, or NCATS

Hey! I hope you get in! I got a spot in NIAID. If you're an out of towerner like myself looking to share a short term lease let me know

Anyone here applied to Ohio State SROP (cic), UVA SRIP, Colorado State REU or Iowa Microbiology REU? I've only heard from ohio...

I applied to Iowa Micro REU, they said they wouldnt get back to me until March

I applied to UC SURF as soon as the application came out (november) and I heard they review them on a rolling basis...do you think I should email them and ask if they received my app?
did you get a confirmation email? certain divisions of the SURF are more competitive than others

did you get a confirmation email? certain divisions of the SURF are more competitive than others
Yes I received an email from the system saying that the "Summer Undergraduate Research Application is now "Complete"....did you receive the same thing?

I applied to Iowa Micro REU, they said they wouldnt get back to me until March

Ok, that's good to know, thanks! Did they email you first, or did you ask them? The only email they've ever sent me is one of those automated emails, right after I submitted my app.

They sent me an email when my application was completed and recs were submitted. Did you get an email?
I didn't get a physical email, it was an automated thing from the system that said "Your 2014 Summer Undergraduate Research Application is now "Complete".
Is that what you got too?!

Ok, that's good to know, thanks! Did they email you first, or did you ask them? The only email they've ever sent me is one of those automated emails, right after I submitted my app.

Oh I emailed them. But frankly I don't think I got it, I am just factoring in my decision in the event that I do get in.

I heard that UC Berk SROP is sending out e-mails later this week about the status of applications.

Also, is it at all beneficial to call them to check on the status of your application for different programs? Does it show interest or is it just annoying?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread.. I have applied to many of these same programs (Leadership Alliance, UM-SMART, Amgen scholars and an REU). I logged into the Leadership Alliance page today and it said my application is closed because it was not completed. However I had everything in weeks before the deadline and was waiting on one of my recommenders, who promised he would have it in and told me not to worry.. is there anything I can do? I sent him multiple reminder emails, and I'm just frustrated that I lost all the work I put into my app. Is it worth it to contact the LA directly and ask them about this?

Also, is it at all beneficial to call them to check on the status of your application for different programs? Does it show interest or is it just annoying?

I hope someone can answer this too! I'm so tempted to call and asks when I would expect an response. But, I feel I would come out as impatient and annoying since they're probably doing their best to evaluate hundreds of app.s

To add on, I've emailed a program a couple weeks ago inquiring about the decision timeline and a few other things, and an administrative assistant got back to me with some pretty useful info within a day or two. It's pretty normal to want to know more. Just be friendly and polite, and make sure not to come across as aggressive or demanding.

To add on, I've emailed a program a couple weeks ago inquiring about the decision timeline and a few other things, and an administrative assistant got back to me with some pretty useful info within a day or two. It's pretty normal to want to know more. Just be friendly and polite, and make sure not to come across as aggressive or demanding.

In the interest of not saying something wrong, how did you phrase your email?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread.. I have applied to many of these same programs (Leadership Alliance, UM-SMART, Amgen scholars and an REU). I logged into the Leadership Alliance page today and it said my application is closed because it was not completed. However I had everything in weeks before the deadline and was waiting on one of my recommenders, who promised he would have it in and told me not to worry.. is there anything I can do? I sent him multiple reminder emails, and I'm just frustrated that I lost all the work I put into my app. Is it worth it to contact the LA directly and ask them about this?

I would contact them so that they can clarify what's wrong and if they'd be wiling to review a possibly incomplete application with a note on what went wrong. I had to do that on one of mine, probably won't get in but at least I know that I did everything I could. Hopefully, it'll be fine.

I don't think anything will change if you contact them directly.
I applied to UM-SMART. I just received a rejection letter. Good luck to you!

Question: if I haven't heard back from any of the 10 programs that I've applied to, should I email them or wait? I know that it's just past mid-February but checking last year's thread I realize that most people received their notifications from early to mid-late feb.

Question: if I haven't heard back from any of the 10 programs that I've applied to, should I email them or wait? I know that it's just past mid-February but checking last year's thread I realize that most people received their notifications from early to mid-late feb.

I would suggest waiting until at least the beginning of March, unless you already have an acceptance somewhere else and are looking for an expedited decision. These programs tend to make their decisions in waves, so while a few hear back by mid-February, several others hear back in March. Check their website FAQs, it will probably tell you when you can expect to learn their decision.

Most of the
I would suggest waiting until at least the beginning of March, unless you already have an acceptance somewhere else and are looking for an expedited decision. These programs tend to make their decisions in waves, so while a few hear back by mid-February, several others hear back in March. Check their website FAQs, it will probably tell you when you can expect to learn their decision.

This guy is right. What I've noticed with the SURP and SURF programs I've applied to have a deadline in early feb and most say to expect something from early to late March. I recieved notification from the UTSW SURF that I should expect a letter of congrats/regret by March 8th. There are a few exceptions, the NIH SIP does rolling admissions based on investigators interest in you and haste to remove you from the applicant pool. They have a hard application deadline in March but myself and some colleagues have already been made offers and have accepted, subsequently removing us from the applicant pool.

I don't think anything will change if you contact them directly.
I applied to UM-SMART. I just received a rejection letter. Good luck to you!
Also rejected from UM-SMART today. Still waiting on NIH Amgen scholars, Boston SURF and an REU. Thinking I should apply for more programs now too

I would contact them so that they can clarify what's wrong and if they'd be wiling to review a possibly incomplete application with a note on what went wrong. I had to do that on one of mine, probably won't get in but at least I know that I did everything I could. Hopefully, it'll be fine.
Thanks! I think I will try this just in case

Accepted into the Vanderbilt VSSA program!

Reactions: 3 users

Do it! I think some of the programs will still accept some of the materials as long as it's before there "notification" period listed on their websites. It's unfortunate that your recommender didn't send in the LoR in an appropriate amount of time. That's why it's important to set dates that are actually before the deadline and to contact them early. Sometimes it just doesn't work out no matter how prepared you are. But it's worth it to at least contact them. There's nothing you can lose.

I sent one out to UCSF for their application and they just told me they won't release the first notifications until March 2nd. It's because they apparently have a deal with their funding department to wait until then. They said they had only 1,000 completed applications to sift through. I think previously they had 1,300 in a email they sent out but that not all of them were completed or qualify on basic eligibility.

I got offers from Mayo Clinic and NIH SIP. Both offered projects seem very interesting and would be a great opportunity for me. So, I have a hard time to decide which one to choose. I am doing a lot of research and plan to pursue MD/PhD. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I got offers from Mayo Clinic and NIH SIP. Both offered projects seem very interesting and would be a great opportunity for me. So, I have a hard time to decide which one to choose. I am doing a lot of research and plan to pursue MD/PhD. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Wow congratulations! That's exciting. Maybe you could look at whether one program offers housing, or if there's a location you would prefer? Both opportunities would probably be equally rewarding. Did you apply for Amgen Scholars btw? Or regular NIH SIP?

you guys are already getting into places or rejected... I'm just refreshing my email like crazy. Can mid march get here already PLEASE! I hate the waiting game...

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted into MD Anderson's CPRIT-CURE Program on Monday!! I think I'm gonna accept Mayo's offer though!

What's up guys, joining in the party for the first time. Anyone heard back from leadership alliance (other than that guy earlier in the thread re: UPENN)?

In the interest of not saying something wrong, how did you phrase your email?

The part of one of my emails which is relevant to the topic:
"...[individual information stuff]. In addition, I am curious as to when the review process will be complete. I am very interested in the program and am anxiously awaiting results from admissions committee.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

chewy[but really my actual name]dog"

Post the intel you guys get on here so that we don't all pester the same people over the same sort of stuff! For instance, I learned that the HST-Wellman Optics Institute isn't getting back to people until the end of Feb and into early March despite having a mid-January deadline for applications.

I applied to Cincinnati and haven't heard anything. When did you apply and which programs did you apply to?

I finished the UCinci application around like January 20th. Some of my REUs (Texas Resident):

UTSW SURF
SR-EIP Leadership
UCinci
Baylor SURF
Louis Stokes Minority Alliance SURF

My GPA and research experience are stacked...but my personal statement has like 2 grammatical errors. LOL
I'm still confident they'll oversee it.

What about you?

This might be a bit of a long shot...

Did anyone apply to the ACS IREU?