Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Updating to add MUSC SURP

******ACCEPTED******
MUSC SURP (futureorthodr 3/2 & sunrizon 3/4)
Dell Med LCI Surf (3/4 lno1999)
Johns Hopkins SIP (stoppingtheworld - deferred from 2020).
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE(2/15 NateB02)
UPenn SUIP (2/15 mp015658)
Medical College of Wisconsin SPUR 2/16 (picklesandcreme)
Stanford SRP (3/1 StaticVoid)
Mass Gen SRTP (2/24 4pf)
ASPET SURF University of Cincinnati (2/26 Entropicali)

******PRELIMINARY OFFER/INTERVIEW******
Cincinnati Children’s SURF (2/5 faatsic)
NU Premed Internship(2/8 NateB02)
DAAD-RISE (Interviewed 1/25 & 2/1 persimmon22)

*****WAITING******
Barrow Neuro
Baylor SMART
Boulder Solar & Space
CHOP PCEN
CSHL
Cincinnati Children’s SURF
Cornell Astronomy
Dartmouth MPUS
Harvard Immuno
Mayo Clinic SURF
NASA
Northwestern CIERA
Northwestern NUTORC
Northwestern Premed Internship
Penn-State Hershey SURF
Rockefeller SURF
Scripps SURF
Smithsonian Astronomical Observatory
Stanford Pre-Renal Initiative
UHawaii IfA
UPenn UCSP
UPenn USSP
Upstate SUNY SURF
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU PSRP
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

******REJECTED******
Caltech WAVE (2/11 purpleastro27)
MD Anderson SIRP (2/15 NateB02) - no positions apparently
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE (2/15 Sunrizon)
SRF Summer Scholars (Waitlisted 2/28 StaticVoid)
DAAD-RISE (3/3 Entropicali)

Members don't see this ad.

Got an email saying Baylor SMART decisions will come out in the next two weeks
Did they send an email to all applicants or did you email them with a question and they responded with that?

I contacted my other top choices because MUSC wants a decision by March 9th. All I received was an email from UAB SIBS saying that they received over 400+ applications so they are not able to provide an expedited decision for me and that acceptances will be out by March 26th. So unless I receive any other decisions by Monday I will be accepting the MUSC SURP offer. My mentor's research closely aligns with my interests so I am excited! Good luck to all who have applied!

Members don't see this ad :)
I contacted my other top choices because MUSC wants a decision by March 9th. All I received was an email from UAB SIBS saying that they received over 400+ applications so they are not able to provide an expedited decision for me and that acceptances will be out by March 26th. So unless I receive any other decisions by Monday I will be accepting the MUSC SURP offer. My mentor's research closely aligns with my interests so I am excited! Good luck to all who have applied!
I applied to UAB SIBS TOO! Thanks for this info

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted to Utah SPUR. That’s was expected considering I applied to more engineering-based projects as a Biology major.

Anyone heard back from Leadership Alliance (specifically NYU)? I saw on the website they started sending decisions mid February but haven’t heard of anyone getting a decision from NYU yet.

Hi all! I recently got into FCVC at UMich. I applied to a bunch of places similar to yours. Got rejected by DAAD and SURE Oklahoma so far, but still have like 12 that haven't responded yet.
FCVC wants me to respond by this Thursday if I am accepting the offer. Not sure what to do.
Is this a good program? Anyone had experience with it?

Hi all! I recently got into FCVC at UMich. I applied to a bunch of places similar to yours. Got rejected by DAAD and SURE Oklahoma so far, but still have like 12 that haven't responded yet.
FCVC wants me to respond by this Thursday if I am accepting the offer. Not sure what to do.
Hi, first of all, congrats! I applied to Umich FCVC as well but haven't heard back : ( When did you hear back from them if you don't mind sharing? Thank you!

im not familiar with the program, but I think it'd be smart to accept if its the only offer you have in hand!

Hi, first of all, congrats! I applied to Umich FCVC as well but haven't heard back : ( When did you hear back from them if you don't mind sharing? Thank you!
Thank you so much! I hope you get in too! I think it was Thursday, and they told me to get back to them till next Thursday. I don't know much about the program, thats the thing. The email said, "you were selected from 840 applicants". Don't really know how competitive this is -- they have a bunch of labs and I figured that many people would get accepted..

Members don't see this ad :)
im not familiar with the program, but I think it'd be smart to accept if its the only offer you have in hand!
Yeah, its the only offer I have now -- but it is not my top choice program. I'd be sad to accept them and then to get into something like CSHL, although that is highly unlikely :')
I'll probably wait to see if I hear back from someone else by Thursday, and if not, I'll accept

Does anybody know if these summer research programs have rolling admissions?

I think a lot of programs do cause theres no guarantee all offers they give will be taken, especially cause most programs don't give you too much time to decide so I think they just go through students until all their spots are filled

A lot do, and another reason that the above person did not mention is that in some programs the mentor picks you. So, if a mentor reads fast and finds a student they think is perfect for their lab they will immediately take that student and the program will contact you.

Forgot to update, accepted stanford pre-renal initiative! (2/18)

Hi All! I'm new to SDN but found this thread...I wanted to know if anyone applied to or has heard from the University of Michigan-SMART program or the CHOP CIRP program. I also received acceptance into the Johns Hopkins SIP programs I applied to (Generation Tomorrow and Careers in Science & Medicine) on 3/3. Thanks, guys! :) <3

Thank you so much! I hope you get in too! I think it was Thursday, and they told me to get back to them till next Thursday. I don't know much about the program, thats the thing. The email said, "you were selected from 840 applicants". Don't really know how competitive this is -- they have a bunch of labs and I figured that many people would get accepted..
Thank you for the information! Maybe they do rolling admission lol. It is a great program and I am sure you will have a good experience with them!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I’m new to SDN and found this forum. Has anyone heard back from the NIDDK diabetes and obesity summer research program?

Hi All! I'm new to SDN but found this thread...I wanted to know if anyone applied to or has heard from the University of Michigan-SMART program or the CHOP CIRP program. I also received acceptance into the Johns Hopkins SIP programs I applied to (Generation Tomorrow and Careers in Science & Medicine) on 3/3. Thanks, guys! :) <3
Do you know if all offers for JH SIP - GT have been sent out? I applied and haven’t heard back.

Do you know if all offers for JH SIP - GT have been sent out? I applied and haven’t heard back.
Hello! As of right now, I honestly do not know :( but they have requested that these extended offers must be confirmed or declined by March 10th. From those results, I'm guessing they would continue to send out more acceptances by March 15th so that they can get more spots filled. I really hope this helps in some capacity!

Hello! As of right now, I honestly do not know :( but they have requested that these extended offers must be confirmed or declined by March 10th. From those results, I'm guessing they would continue to send out more acceptances by March 15th so that they can get more spots filled. I really hope this helps in some capacity!
Thank you for sharing, that does help. Congratulations on your acceptance!

• Care
Has anyone heard back from Harvard SHURP? I know that the leadership alliance website says that notifications would be sent out before March 1. Do they do silent rejections?

Has anyone heard from
- SR-EIP: Boulder, Tufts, Upenn
- CWRU CanSUR
- Cincinnati Children's SURF
- St. Jude Children's POE
- UColorado Cancer Center CREU
:(

Has anyone heard from
- CWRU CanSUR
I applied to Cincinnati Children's SURF and St. Jude's POE and have not heard from them either! :(

Has anyone heard from
- CWRU CanSUR
I got an interview with Cincinnati Children's SURF but no acceptnace or rejection update

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if Mayo Clinic SURF has sent out all acceptances? I did the CRISP program in 2019 and heard back on February 25. I have yet to hear from them about SURF, would it be appropriate to email them and ask for and update?

Hi has anyone heard from Rockefeller’s SURF yet? Also, do you think they have rolling admissions? I mean the website didn’t mention it so I guess not? Thanks!

Does anyone know if Mayo Clinic SURF has sent out all acceptances? I did the CRISP program in 2019 and heard back on February 25. I have yet to hear from them about SURF, would it be appropriate to email them and ask for and update?
IMO, it’s absolutely appropriate, especially if needing to respond to another program.

Update for Mayo applicants that haven't heard back: I did email them, the advisor was very responsive. She said there was over 2,000 applicants this year and many were rejected, including myself. I asked if there was anything that could have hindered the success of my application and she told me no that it was just a very competitive year.

For everyone who applied to Baylor SMART I read on reddit that someone's friends have already received acceptances at the beginning of Feb. Has anyone else received any acceptances or rejections?

Update for Mayo applicants that haven't heard back: I did email them, the advisor was very responsive. She said there was over 2,000 applicants this year and many were rejected, including myself. I asked if there was anything that could have hindered the success of my application and she told me no that i
Update for Mayo applicants that haven't heard back: I did email them, the advisor was very responsive. She said there was over 2,000 applicants this year and many were rejected, including myself. I asked if there was anything that could have hindered the success of my application and she told me no that it was just a very competitive year.
So all offers are out? That’s disappointing and I really don’t understand what is so hard about sending a notification that you weren’t selected. Guess there’s next year......

So all offers are out? That’s disappointing and I really don’t understand what is so hard about sending a notification that you weren’t selected. Guess there’s next year......
Pretty sure they will only send out a notification once every single spot is filled. Right now, they are waiting for those accepted to commit.

For everyone who applied to Baylor SMART I read on reddit that someone's friends have already received acceptances at the beginning of Feb. Has anyone else received any acceptances or rejections?
I know someone who got accepted February 26th! They did not apply last year, so I am guessing it is rolling!

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone who got accepted February 26th! They did not apply last year, so I am guessing it is rolling!
Ah that makes a lot of sense that it's rolling. Do you know anyone who has been rejected?

Anyone heard back from Leadership Alliance (specifically NYU)? I saw on the website they started sending decisions mid February but haven’t heard of anyone getting a decision from NYU yet
I haven't heard yet either and I haven't hear of anyone hearing back yet.

Ah that makes a lot of sense that it's rolling. Do you know anyone who has been rejected?
Personally, no, I think rejections are usually sent out last, and it seems like they are not even done accepting people yet!

Hi has anyone heard from Rockefeller’s SURF yet? Also, do you think they have rolling admissions? I mean the website didn’t mention it so I guess not? Thanks!
The website says 'Completed applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. Final decisions will be made by mid-March 2021.' I applied and have not heard yet

Has anyone heard back from Harvard SHURP? I know that the leadership alliance website says that notifications would be sent out before March 1. Do they do silent rejections?
I emailed them last week to ask if they could give me my status since I was offered a different internship position, and they were able to tell me my status (I was rejected lol). So I bet you could email them and ask!

The website says 'Completed applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. Final decisions will be made by mid-March 2021.' I applied and have not heard yet
Oh okay I probably didn’t see it! If you don’t mind, when was your completed application submitted? Also, have you heard about anyone getting in? Thank you!