Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, (sorry for so many posts in a row) I just called Rochelle at WashU's Amgen program to ask about the status of my application (Chicago has given me till Friday at noon to respond). She said they are having a meeting tomorrow morning and that if I emailed her tomorrow afternoon she would be able to give me a "clearer answer" about the status of my application. That sounds to me like decisions are being made tomorrow, and since their website says "offers will be made BY March 1st" that hopefully means emails will start going out here shortly. Good luck to those who applied!
On another note, I'm struggling to decide to accept Chicago's offer since I haven't heard from anywhere else yet, but I also figure that if I haven't heard from anywhere else by then I have to take it because the likelihood of getting into other programs is slim... What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

"No decisions have been made. Check back again.":beat:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like many programs are getting back to us later than usual this year. While many have set "deadlines" for replies on their websites, in my experience most of them usually get back much earlier - for instance, Sloan Kettering and NYU usually send replies either the third or last week of February and they haven't been this late for a couple of years.

Has anybody heard from UCLA Amgen or UCLA SPURLABS?

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda fretting. But I have 0 acceptances and 0 denials. It's not even March. Just wait it out? Never applied to these things.

I am in the same boat. And I had to deny a summer counselor position at the DNA Learning Center because of the uncertainty. Ahhhh I am freaking out so much.

Received notification of acceptance today to Brown University through the Leadership Alliance.

Reactions: 6 users
Emailed the director and she told me that they would have decisions before March 9th, but she has no idea when exactly yet.

Yup. You think they like people with a directed focus? I've technically had research and curriculum experience in BOTH quantitative and molecular biology, and I checked both on the app. Don't know how that jives with them.

Lowkey, it's one of the ones that I'd love to go to. My major is CS so I don't know if it looks awkward.

Emailed the director and she told me that they would have decisions before March 9th, but she has no idea when exactly yet.

As a student here, I don't think anything ever gets done on time. People are extremely busy! Also, I believe most top programs prefer students with research experience - especially if your application gets forwarded to the PI's desk. People coming in with experience cost less time to train and to bring up to speed.

Stilllll waiting on U of Iowa!!! They're supposed to send acceptances..this week? This waiting is horrible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just rejected from Gerstner Sloan Kettering. Yay! Thankfully, that wasn't one of my top picks.

Stilllll waiting on U of Iowa!!! They're supposed to send acceptances..this week? This waiting is horrible.

I spoke to someone there today and the first round of acceptances have already been sent out. She said that those people have been given until March 6 to accept/decline, then the second round will go out...

I find that rejections are never easy - even when it wasn't my top pick. Has anyone been accepted to Sloan Kettering? I applied and have not had any word back yet.

I spoke to someone there today and the first round of acceptances have already been sent out. She said that those people have been given until March 6 to accept/decline, then the second round will go out...
Thanks so much for letting me know.

Got rejected from Gerstner Sloan this morning through email. It didn't burn as much because I was still too happy from Rochelle (WashU BioMedRAP) calling earlier that I got accepted to their program. Best news ever! I got rejected at all 14 programs I applied to last year (including WashU), so this is a BIG deal to me.
Still waiting on an official email from her, she mentioned that I will have 7 days to decide after I get an email.

For those that are still interested in applying,
- WUSTL dep of pedriatrics deadline 03/01 http://pediatrics.wustl.edu/pediatricstudentresearchprogram/PSRPHome/Eligibility.aspx
- Case western surp deadline 03/15 http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/research/summer_programs.cfm
http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...h/summer-undergraduate-research-program-surp/
- University of Georgia 03/01
are still accepting applications.

Good luck guys, may the odds forever be in our favor :)

did anyone apply to DAAD RISE? Any word from them yet?

Here are the SURPs/Programs that I have applied to (hoping to hear back soon):
  1. Johns Hopkins
  2. Baylor
  3. Mayo
  4. Penn State (offered spot)
  5. DAAD Rise (interviewed by PHD student)
  6. Pepperdine
  7. UNC / Chapel Hill
  8. Brandeis
Has anyone heard back from any of these programs? Any interviews, etc.? Thanks!

Here are the SURPs/Programs that I have applied to (hoping to hear back soon):
  1. Johns Hopkins
  2. Baylor
  3. Mayo
  4. Penn State (offered spot)
  5. DAAD Rise (interviewed by PHD student)
  6. Pepperdine
  7. UNC / Chapel Hill
  8. Brandeis
Has anyone heard back from any of these programs? Any interviews, etc.? Thanks!
I heard back from Mayo for the Gene Therapy and Virology department (acceptance).

Rejected from sloan surp. Second time applying there. Both times rejected now:(
Have 3 yrs of research and 3.9 gpa.
But i guess maybe they were looking for ppl with publications....? O well!

Rejected from sloan surp. Second time applying there. Both times rejected now:(
Have 3 yrs of research and 3.9 gpa.
But i guess maybe they were looking for ppl with publications....? O well!
Sorry to hear. I have no idea what they are looking for if you were rejected. I'm still waiting but my hopes diminish after reading this.

Anyone who applied to Broad Institute program, they're sending out acceptances :)

Accepted into NYU Sackler SURP

Did anybody apply to the UCSF REU? There's nothing on the website about a notification date and since the deadline was almost a month ago I'm wondering if they've started to send acceptances/rejections out yet. Has anybody heard anything?

Did anybody apply to the UCSF REU? There's nothing on the website about a notification date and since the deadline was almost a month ago I'm wondering if they've started to send acceptances/rejections out yet. Has anybody heard anything?
I applied there too. I believe cranky biologist mentioned the first acceptances are being sent out on March 2nd.

just heard back from Mass General SRTP if anyone is wondering ... i got a call...

Wait listed for the WashU Amgen. Decided to just take the Chicago offer. Best of luck to all! I'll still check back if I hear from other places.

Do most programs call or e-mail for acceptances? Also, has anyone heard from UNC - Chapel Hill/MURAP? Or Columbia Leadership Alliance? They and a few others are supposed to be notifying before March 1...

Hi everyone! First post here, I was wondering if y'all could help me out. I have a Skype interview tomorrow for one of the smaller, MDPhD-oriented programs that I applied to and I was wondering if any of y'all had an idea of what sort of questions I should expect? I've never done this sort of interview before (wee little freshman over here!) and just need some advice. Thanks!

^Usually, the interviews ask behavioral and motivational type questions. You should be able to articulate your goals and how your life experiences fit into that goal, including how that particular program would help you achieve those goals.

Do most programs call or e-mail for acceptances? Also, has anyone heard from UNC - Chapel Hill/MURAP? Or Columbia Leadership Alliance? They and a few others are supposed to be notifying before March 1...
I'm still waiting for UNC - Chapel Hill. They mentioned that they only notify accepted individuals - not rejected.

Did anyone get accepted to Sloan yet or did they just send out rejections?

^I applied as well. I take the non-rejection as a good sign. Perhaps the PIs are reviewing our information now.

For anyone waiting on Johns Hopkins, they just told me that notifications will be sent starting today through Sunday. My fingers are crossed. Good luck everyone!

Just received email about acceptance to Sloan Kettering SURP.

Anyone hear from University of Cincinnati SURF? Or Ohio State University SUCCESS programs?

Just received an email containing an acceptance to Harvard Stem Cell! Most likely going to accept this!

Reactions: 5 users
I got a call from Rochelle at WashU yesterday, and she said she would send out an email about my acceptance soon. I haven't gotten an email from her since then. Do you guys think I should call her about it or just wait it out?
The formality of email just solidifies things for me.