Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied and was accepted to the Livestrong Cancer Institutes SURF program at Dell Med (UT Austin) last summer, and they told us that we had the opportunity to defer to this summer, which I did. However, in August, they emailed us saying that they were taking our spots away and asked us to reapply with no guarantee that we would be accepted again for this summer. Long story short, I am going to be really upset if I deferred a few other T10 programs because I wanted to stay in Austin over the summer because of some connections I have here, only to not be accepted this summer for whatever reason that might be. We shall see :D

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to UPenn SUIP today! (and the Fred Hutch Program but through a partnership with my home university)

******ACCEPTED******
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE(2/15 NateB02)
UPenn SUIP (2/15 mp015658)

******PRELIMINARY OFFER/INTERVIEW******
Cincinnati Children’s SURF (2/5 faatsic)
NU Premed Internship(2/8 NateB02)

*****WAITING******
Barrow Neuro
Baylor SMART
Boulder Solar & Space
CHOP PCEN
CSHL
Caltech WAVE
Cincinnati Children’s SURF
Cornell Astronomy
Dartmouth MPUS
Harvard Immuno
Johns Hopkins SIP
Mass Gen SRTP
MUSC SURP
Mayo Clinic SURF
NASA
Northwestern CIERA
Northwestern NUTORC
Northwestern Premed Internship
Penn-State Hershey SURF
Rockefeller SURF
Scripps SURF
Smithsonian Astronomical Observatory
Stanford Pre-Renal Initiative
UHawaii IfA
UPenn UCSP
UPenn USSP
Upstate SUNY SURF
Vanderbilt UCRIP
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU PSRP
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

******REJECTED******
MD Anderson SIRP (2/15 NateB02) - no positions apparently
hi when did u apply to suip?

Has anyone heard from Mayo SURF yet? Might be behind due to the pandemic and weather, but I am wondering if anyone has heard!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone apply to Baylor SMART? I was looking at past posts and saw they usually begin to accept people around this time.

are REUs announcing particularly late this year or am I just getting rejected from all these places LOL

I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to post, but I applied for a few summer research programs that are more public health based:
  • SR-EIP through Leadership Alliance (applied to programs at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale)
  • Stanford Population Health Program
  • Summer Training as Research Scholars (STaRS) at Boston University
  • Summer Public Health Scholars Program (SPHSP) at Columbia
  • LGS-SOAR at Emory
Has anyone applied to these programs and have heard back yet? I know the Stanford Program was supposed to notify people this month, but I'm getting anxious :censored:

Did anyone apply to Baylor SMART? I was looking at past posts and saw they usually begin to accept people around this time.
I applied there! No word yet though

are REUs announcing particularly late this year or am I just getting rejected from all these places LOL
I'm getting that feeling too.. lol. Only heard from one and it was a rejection

Best of luck to you! I'm a little nervous because I didn't have a lot of time to apply to many summer research programs so this is one of my top choices.

I did haven't heard anything, but I don't think I will get in lol

Has anyone heard from Mayo SURF yet? Might be behind due to the pandemic and weather, but I am wondering if anyone has heard!
Nothing yet.. maybe something tomorrow or this upcoming friday?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an offer from Mayo SURF on February 13th. The deadline for a response is February 25th, so they may extend a few more offers after then? Just to let you all know.

I got an offer from Mayo SURF on February 13th. The deadline for a response is February 25th, so they may extend a few more offers after then? Just to let you all know.
I got an offer from Mayo SURF last year on like March 6th. You were probably one of the first to get an acceptance (over 100 ppl get into their program)

Which division?

Biomedical Engineering & Physiology in Rochester

Also, UChicago PSOMER this year seems to have been cancelled. Got an email last week about the cancellation

• Wow

Hey guys, good luck with the process!

I was in last year's cohort and they notified us that the process is a little modified this year. Due to its virtual format last summer, they are essentially auto-accepting those who participated last summer and are currently college juniors this year. Just giving a head's up that there may not be as many "new" spots this year.

PM me if you have any questions and good luck! I hope you both are fortunate enough to be accepted!

I was in last year's cohort and they notified us that the process is a little modified this year. Due to its virtual format last summer, they are essentially auto-accepting those who participated last summer and are currently college juniors this year. Just giving a head's up that there may not be as many "new" spots this year.

PM me if you have any questions and good luck! I hope you both are fortunate enough to be accepted!
Ah thanks for the heads up! It seems like there are gonna be much spots for people who didn't get accepted last year. Thanks for telling us though!

How difficult is it to get in?
My prior investigations of past years threads showed that its about 9-11% acceptance rate. Now I don’t know what happens if you apply to another campus like I did (Jacksonville).

That's kinda unfair... WFIRM notified all applicants on their website that the people they accepted last time were coming back this time so there may not be many new acceptances. I wish Baylor SMART could have told me that before I spent so much time on applying!

That's kinda unfair... WFIRM notified all applicants on their website that the people they accepted last time were coming back this time so there may not be many new acceptances. I wish Baylor SMART could have told me that before I spent so much time on applying!
Not everyone is returning as I and others are graduating this Spring so are ineligible. I wouldn’t lose hope yet because I presume they’re behind in offers this year with COVID

Reactions: 1 users
me too so not fair they should reapply too, why should they keep their spots. They have already participated

me too so not fair they should reapply too, why should they keep their spots. They have already participated
Honestly I can't really blame them because the people who did get accepted last year did deserve the full in-person experience and so they could say its unfair that the people this year got to go there in person while the people last year didn't. I think honestly its fine what they did because its not like taking their spot away is gonna guarantee one of us a spot. All we can do is hope that after them that Baylor will like our app and accept us.

Got a R from Stanford Population Health Program. They accepted about 1% of applicants this year (11-12 students with 1110 total applicants).

• Wow
I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to post, but I applied for a few summer research programs that are more public health based:
  • SR-EIP through Leadership Alliance (applied to programs at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Yale)
  • Stanford Population Health Program
  • Summer Training as Research Scholars (STaRS) at Boston University
  • Summer Public Health Scholars Program (SPHSP) at Columbia
  • LGS-SOAR at Emory
Has anyone applied to these programs and have heard back yet? I know the Stanford Program was supposed to notify people this month, but I'm getting anxious :censored:
I hope you got into the Stanford pop health program!!!!

Also got rejected from the Stanford program :( I thought that because this was the first year of the program, that not as many people would apply but i guess not lol. Not feeling too confident about the other programs I applied for now 💀

Also got rejected from the Stanford program :( I thought that because this was the first year of the program, that not as many people would apply but i guess not lol. Not feeling too confident about the other programs I applied for now 💀
That was my exact train of thought LOL. Clown masks for us!🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Reactions: 1 users
Did you apply to any other public health based summer programs?
No😥 All of the one's I saw needed at least 2 LoRs and I haven't had the opportunity to establish a relationship with my professors to ask for one. It's a struggle out here in these virtual streets🤣 I really love public health and was high key sad to miss out on those opportunities, but I hope you get into one of the other programs! You too @GenChemDemon

Did anyone here apply for Stanford CVI summer research program? They said decision would be out in late February, which is almost now

I did, and I haven't gotten anything yet either if they didn't lie about the date then it should be out by tomorrow then. Fingers crossed! It is one of my top choice
No news is good news! If they didn't lie about the date it should be out by tomorrow then! Fingers crossed

Last edited:
No news is good news! If they didn't lie about the date it should be out by tomorrow then! Fingers crossed
hopefully, good luck to you :>
The guy who's in charge of the CVI program seemed really nice and approachable. If they don't give us updates tomorrow, I'll probably contact him. I'll let you know!

hopefully, good luck to you :>
The guy who's in charge of the CVI program seemed really nice and approachable. If they don't give us updates tomorrow, I'll probably contact him. I'll let you know.
Sounds good! Good luck to you too : )

As someone said earlier, the NIH SIP is confirmed to be fully virtual. I was offered a spot last year and deferred it to this year.

any word from the northwestern premed internship?