Summer Research programs help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harsh920

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am curious on what you actually do at summer research programs at different universities. Like are you just collecting data for the university helping them or actually participating. I really don't know what you do when you join one of them after being accepted into one. Anyone that has participated in one can you please explain on how it works and what you do. I just want information on it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically you join a lab and work on a project that the PI (principal investigator) feels is best suited for your level of experience and the length of your commitment.

What you do exactly and to what level you participate depends on the program, the lab, the project and you. Some programs out there are meant to introduce people to research (the Tri-I Gateways program is like this and I think Pritzker has something like this as well) while others are meant for people who are hard-core committed to science and already have plenty of experience (Mayo Clinic, NIH). The best way to figure this out is to carefully read the program's description and see what type of work students have done there in past (most of these things end with a poster presentation or something similar).