Summers during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me make sure I have this right...

Typically, you get 6 weeks or more off between MS1 and MS2, right? What about between MS2 and MS3, after you take Step 1?
MS3 to MS4 you're typically in clerkships year-round, is that correct?
And how soon after graduating medical school do residencies typically start?

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools deviate from this pattern, but this is probably the most typical:

M1: starts in august, ends in may

Your last summer off: research, clinical externship, vacation (my school had 12 weeks)

M2: starts in august, ends in may

Step 1 prep 3-5 weeks (also, vacation time depending on how much you used to study for boards)

M3: starts July 1, ends June 30 (this is fairly typical, some schools do 2 or 4 week rotations, while others use the calendar month).

M4: starts July 1, ends April/May with graduation

Residency (unless you take a year off, which is not-typical) starts with administrative paperwork and hospital orientation during the 3rd or 4th week of June and continues for the length of the training program.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

Agreed, the above is "typical" though some schools do not require Step I the summer after M2 year (can vary from the preceding January to the following December). Also, you can schedule a predefined amount of time off in the M4 year when you wish, but most will save that time to be available for residency interviews or to study for the Step II.