SUNY Buffalo Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRKD

UB Med 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start this thread as I was just accepted at UB and plan on going there. Anyone hear about acceptances at UB? Anyone going to UB next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to start this thread as I was just accepted at UB and plan on going there. Anyone hear about acceptances at UB? Anyone going to UB next year?

If I get a scholarship I am pretty sure I will attend. If I don't get a scholarship I probably will not attend. I am OOS and I was accepted in mid-November

I was accepted yesterday and I am absolutely thrilled!! I will definitely be going to UB -it was my first choice. I'm on cloud nine right now as you could probably imagine! :soexcited:Congrats to you both on your acceptances too by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
those of you who are moving to Buffalo in the fall...where are you guys staying? there is professional student housing on campus but its a little pricy. if i stay off campus im worried about the time i will take commuting, especially if its snowing bad outside.

those of you who are moving to Buffalo in the fall...where are you guys staying? there is professional student housing on campus but its a little pricy. if i stay off campus im worried about the time i will take commuting, especially if its snowing bad outside.

Congratulations on your acceptance!:) I'm from Buffalo, so I know the area really well. There are a lot of places to live really close to campus, (w/in walking distance) so even commuting with snow, it's not too bad. Of course, I've lived here my entire life so I'm used to it.

Since our classes are early though, you won't have trouble finding parking on campus, which makes life a lot easier. If you're looking to live in the city, I would recommend North Buffalo. That's the area of the city closest to campus, and also for the most part, one of the safer areas of the city. If you want to live in a suburb, parts of Amherst are really close, and they're gnerally pretty safe neighborhoods. Kenmore, Tonawanda, and Williamsville are a little further away but still within a 10-15 minute drive. Some areas of Amherst are literally right up the street and definitely within walking distance, as are parts of North Buffalo.

Hope this helps at least a little, and if you have any other questions about housing or the Buffalo area in general feel free to ask! :)

What are your thoughts about living in Downtown Buffalo and riding the subway in?? I have been able to find some ridiculous deals on craigslist for some really beautiful apartments!

It depends on the area. Some areas are fine to live in - like near Elmwood and Allentown, but other areas aren't that great.
You would also just want to see what the cost of a bus pass is. I have no idea what the monthly rate is, but I think students get it for less. The NFTA website would have it on there.
One of my friends lives downtown, and she loves it. Her apartment's really nice, and she said it was reasonable. As long as you don't get in one of the bad areas, you should be fine. But I don't think the apartments are that nice in the bad areas anyway.

hey guys, i got accepted off the waitlist last week and am pretty much set on attending UB. very excited to start, orientation is less than four months away!

As far as apt hunting goes, where should I not attempt to live, i.e. what places are not safe to live?

I am a dork, I know, but I can't wait to start. :D

(Thank you to Dr Kate for letting me know about this thread :))

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm not sure if I'm 100% attending yet because I'm still waiting to hear back from my state school (I'm OOS obviously) because of the tuition difference, but I really liked Buffalo when I visited. Quite possibly, I'll see everyone in August:).

Hey guys, I'm really excited to start too!! And I can't wait to meet everyone in our class. I'm glad more people are starting to post on this board, that way we can at least sort get to know wach other.

Anyway, I'm from Buffalo, so I know the area and if anyone has questions feel free to ask. Ignatius reilly, to answer your question, you definitely want to avoid the east side if you're going to live in the city. Most of North Buffalo is pretty safe, and it's close to campus, and the University Heights area is okay too. There have been break-ins, but if you take precautions (lock your doors, don't leave expensive things in plain sight)you should be okay.

If you want to live in the suburbs Amherst, Williamsville, Kenmore, and Tonawanda are all good choices - they're pretty safe and close to campus. Hope this helps!

Hey class of 2013-
My name is Ashley and I am the vice-president of POLITY ( the university at Buffalo school of medicine student government).

A few quick things for you guys to note:
1. We try to make contact early with out new incoming class, we will set up a Facebook group and activate your list serve as soon as possible. The list serve will be a great way to meet others who have been accepted and decided to attend Buffalo. If you are looking to find housing or meet a roommate the list serve is a great place to start.

2. We offer a housing weekend for our incoming students. It is during early May. It is 2 days ( Thursday and Friday) You will be able to meet classmates - both incoming MS1s and rising MS2s. You will tour various apartments which are popular among med students, and be treated to dinner at Anchor Bar and a night out in Buffalo. Saturday and Sunday will be free for you to go to appointments and look at apartments which were not included on our tour.

3. Check out the polity website - we will have a link for the incoming class as soon as possible with housing suggestions and a place to ask questions to current students. Check back around the next Friday ( after our Renal exam).
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/polity/

4. Congrats and good luck! Your orientation committee will be contacting you during the summer to let you know about all of the orientation activities they have planned for you!

In the meantime if you have any questions feel free to send them to
[email protected]

Hey yall congrats on getting in! Enjoy the summer and the rest of time in undergrad. Get ready for gross and don't get scared by Dr. Dannenhoffer yelling at you the first day. :laugh:

I'll be a second year dental student next year and I most likely have a spot in my apartment available (2 br/1ba). My current roomie (another 1st year) is moving out because his gf is coming up so we cant fit them all in our place.

Its located on chestnut ridge rd, near UB north, very safe and quiet neighborhood. I looked at almost every apartment on this street and 4 other places before choosing this one. Easy off street parking, good plowing, well maintained. The price is good too, rent is 375/person, free heat, air conditioning!, and cold water. With utilities (40 electric, 40 hot water -most of thats service charges) and cable (DVR, roadrunner, digital cable) the grand total is ~475 each. Pretty good deal, probably the best you can find in all of amherst. 10-15 mins to school.

Just shoot me a PM, i'll get some pictures to you in a day or two. If anybody is close by (Buffalo, Geneseo, UofR, RIT, etc) or even from farther away and are planning to come by I can definitely arrange a time to be home for you to come check it out if youre interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made up my mind about going to SUNY Buffalo yesterday! :D I'm really excited despite being a bit nervous... Thanks for creating the post! I just joined the brand-new facebook group yesterday too! I have a couple of questions:

Anyone who plans to attend interested in Capoeira?

Anyone from Buffalo, are there good places to go climbing around? both indoor and outdoor? I know there won't be much time, but I know i'll need a way to get away from the stress of med school...

How long after you were accepted did you guys receive the letter in the mail? I want to make sure that I get every form submitted ASAP, the uncertainty is making me freak out.. hehe

Congratulations to you all!!! See you all in August!

There is one good rock wall within 20 minutes of Buffalo, the Buffalo Outing Club ( run through the medical school) runs trips there every few weeks. There are also quite a few first year students who climb a couple of times a week on their own, and I'm sure they would enjoy another belay partner.

I know there are a few people interested in mixed martial arts as well, but I'm not sure as to Capoeira in particular.

Welcome to UB!

Hey congrats to all for being accepted, I can't wait to start at UB in the fall! Does anyone know where the majority of med (and other UB grad school students) live? Are they scattered through the surrounding communities or in general are there just a couple of clusters where most live?

Hey guys! I'm about 90% sure that I'll be attending UB in the fall. I just had some questions for the current students....

Can you give us a description of what your typical day is like for MSI and IIs? With lecture lasting only until 12 or 1pm, it seems like you would have a lot of free time. But does that mean you are studying more of the material on your own since the lectures are shorter. Also, does the block scheduling make the exams fairly complicated since they cover many different aspects.

Thanks in advance!

Our normal day is variable throughout the week.
As a first semester MS1 you will have gross anatomy three times a week and gross lecture or fundamentals lecture filling in the rest of the 4 hours. You will also have CPM ( clinical practice of medicine) lecture and group on Mondays. Thus every other monday you have class from 8-4 with a one hour break for lunch. The opposite Monday you have class 8-2 with lunch.

As a second semester MS1 you have basically four hours of lecture a day with lunch and the occasional lab ( histo, path, etc). you have labs probably 3 times a week.
As a third year your schedule is pretty much the same except CPM takes up a lot more time. You have to go to your preceptor ( you work with an area doctor) way more often. First year you go every other week for 4 hours.

Your self study schedule is pretty intense especially the week before exams. During gross you are in the lab ( which is open 24-7 for a few weeks before your exam) ALL the time. Weekends are just two more days you can use to study.
After that in general most of us study daily to keep up and then the weekend before an exam we live at school.

The exams are managable. We all get through them. I dont think they are any more complicated than anywhere else. Plus your big sib can help you through your first few exams ( every 1st year is matched with a 2nd year who helps them out).

How long after you were accepted did you guys receive the letter in the mail? I want to make sure that I get every form submitted ASAP, the uncertainty is making me freak out.. hehe

I'm wondering the same thing too, I was accepted 3 weeks ago and still have not recieved an acceptance letter. I know nothing is "concrete" until I get that letter!!!

I'm wondering the same thing too, I was accepted 3 weeks ago and still have not recieved an acceptance letter. I know nothing is "concrete" until I get that letter!!!

I'm sure the delay is nothing to worry about, but I would call Mr. Rosso if you have not received the acceptance letter in the mail yet... I interviewed on Wednesday and received my letter in the mail the next Monday, with the later dated Thursday, the day after the interview. Hope you get it soon!:)

I'm sure the delay is nothing to worry about, but I would call Mr. Rosso if you have not received the acceptance letter in the mail yet... I interviewed on Wednesday and received my letter in the mail the next Monday, with the later dated Thursday, the day after the interview. Hope you get it soon!:)

I got accepted off of the waitlist on a friday and received my package the following wednesday

I got accepted off of the waitlist on a friday and received my package the following wednesday

I did too. Merissa, I would just call Mr. Rosso and ask. As you know from the interview - he's the nicest guy. It's probably nothing to worry about though. Maybe it takes a bit longer now because it's almost the end of the interviews and they're starting to really finish filling up the class and accepting people off the waitlist now.

How do you find out if you are accepted? Do you keep checking online or is an e-mail sent? Or is it snail mail?

How do you find out if you are accepted? Do you keep checking online or is an e-mail sent? Or is it snail mail?

if you are accepted you should receive an email from AAMC regarding the criminal background check (unless you have already been accepted by a school participating in this program) also, if you check the status page it will say ACCEPTED. this happened for me on a friday, and the following wednesday i got a package in the mail.

does anyone know when we can expect to hear anything regarding financial aid?

does anyone know when we can expect to hear anything regarding financial aid?

I called the student response center and asked a while ago, and they told me they start doing financial aid at the end of April... so I imagine we will be getting something within the next couple of weeks.

You can also call BIRD at 716-645-7800. For first time users the PIN is your 2 digit month and 2 digit day of your birth. I checked mine yesterday, and although my application for financial aid is complete, I do not have any awards, so I am assuming they have not gotten to my application yet.

I called the student response center and asked a while ago, and they told me they start doing financial aid at the end of April... so I imagine we will be getting something within the next couple of weeks.

You can also call BIRD at 716-645-7800. For first time users the PIN is your 2 digit month and 2 digit day of your birth. I checked mine yesterday, and although my application for financial aid is complete, I do not have any awards, so I am assuming they have not gotten to my application yet.

awesome, thanks! so are any of you guys planning on going to the housing weekend in june?

Do you guys know if online CPR certification course is satisfactory for the requirement?

Thanks so much, look forward to meeting you guys in June!

Hey guys! I just got accepted on thursday and am most likely attending! I'm so excited, I LOVED Buffalo!

awesome, thanks! so are any of you guys planning on going to the housing weekend in june?

I'm planning on it too. I live a minute away, right up the street now though (with my family), so I might end up living there. Maybe I'll get an apartment though... it depends, so I want to check it out.

Hey guys! I just got accepted on thursday and am most likely attending! I'm so excited, I LOVED Buffalo!

Congratulations! I'm so excited to meet everyone and start. For those of you who haven't joined the facebook group yet, you should.

I'm in!!! So excited to meet everyone in August!:D

I'm also going to the housing weekend in june, should be fun! still have to buy a plane tic though.

I'm also going to the housing weekend in june, should be fun! still have to buy a plane tic though.

i have to get a plane ticket also, trying to figure out whether to fly in wednesday night or thursday morning. does anyone know what time the activities start on thursday?

The activities begin on Thursday at 5pm. They last until around 9pm. Friday is 8:30am until approx. 2pm or until the lunch wrap up ends. We also have listed activities for the rest of Friday. I would suggest seeing what everyone is interested in and trying to get a group together for after the official stuff is done. The Bisons have a home game and it is also the weekend of the art festival ( there will be a crazy number of people attending the outdoor activites!)

so i decided to live on campus after hearing about this at my UB undergrad commencement http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/667296.html ... everyone was so shocked & saddened by this tragedy. For those of you looking for housing in or around university heights, please be very careful.

Do you know where to get information about on campus housing? I was not aware that it was an option.

Do you know where to get information about on campus housing? I was not aware that it was an option.

Yeah, the options for medical students are below. The website is http://www.ub-housing.buffalo.edu/index.php.

Graduate and Professional Student Applicants
  • Graduate and Professional options include:
    • Creekside Village: 2 bedroom/1.5 bath townhouse style with private entrances
    • Flint Village: 1 bedroom/1bath
    • South Lake Village: Studio, 1 bedroom/1 bath
    • Flickinger Court: 2 bedroom/1.5 bath townhouse apartments that can be rented by the bedroom or by the apartment
Graduate Student, Faculty/Staff and Family Applicants
  • You must be a University at Buffalo graduate student, professional student, non-traditional student, student with family, or faculty/staff member to live at Flickinger Court.
  • Graduate Student, Faculty/Staff and Family Applicants options include:
    • Flickinger Court: 2 bedroom/1.5 bath townhouse style that can be rented by the bedroom or by the apartment
The are other safer options aside from living on campus though. The suburban areas are safe, and some are really close to school.
Just definitely be careful if you're living in University Heights like geffgeff said. I know people that live there that don't have a problem, but there has also been a lot of violence around there too recently.

Where is university heights? Is that on south campus or north campus because i heard the north side is more safe.

Hey guys, according to the acceptance packet, we can also choose to live in Hadley, but this is not listed on the website as a option for us.

All the other options seem way to expensive, does anyone know if Hadley is offlimit to med students?

Hey guys-
If you are looking for a safe area to live I would suggest Williamsville and of course Amherst ( ranked as the 4th safest city in the US). They are both very suburban areas within 10 minutes of school
. http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...est_cities_in_the_united.html?singlepage=true
These neighborhoods are highly populated by medical students. I will tell you that I am not aware of anyone that lives in on campus housing (this does not mean there aren't any med students in on campus housing…) Often expense and the freedom of not going home to campus, after spending a 10 hour day on campus sway people towards other options.( I think at this point many people also want to get away from the undergraduate population as well)

I live in Amherst and feel 100% safe at all times. I love the area I am in and walk my dog even late at night.Just remember to look at all of your options before making a decision.

Where is university heights? Is that on south campus or north campus because i heard the north side is more safe.

Yeah, University Heights is near the South campus. The North campus is in the suburbs (Amherst) and much safer.

LDoct did you get accepted off the waitlist today? If so you should update us on the waitlist thread. :)

Not yet unfortunately :( I am hoping that good news will come soon

Well hello guys and potential fellow classmates! I got accepted to Buffalo today! My first acceptance :oops: