Supplementals should only be sent to qualifying candidates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anothercalidds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think supplementals/secondary apps should only be sent to the students that admissions really feel make good candidates rather than just anyone that has the minimum gpa? Like we spend days answering these supplemental questions and then it's almost as if they don't even read them. They just deny based on stats. For loma Linda for example, their supplemental is really excessive and I really answered each question thoroughly and carefully and honestly. Then when they denied me they said it's because of DAT. Like you obviously knew my dat before wasting my time and having me write a novel for your supplemental. Idk. I understand it's their way of making money, but I feel like this should change. It's not fair to us. All those fees add up. It just makes more sense to send to students they will actually consider and care to learn more about. *rant over

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
supplementals are not to find out who you are, they are to find out how deep your pockets are. $$ :zip:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The supps I filled out were 3 questions with 1000 character maximum. Took less than 30 minutes.

That's a good point...the system does need further streamlining. However, the idea of holistic admissions in dental education generally means that your basic stats are balanced with or contextualized to the qualitative aspects of your application. Rejection for low DAT at this stage doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't care about your supplemental application. It is possible that your DAT was just high enough to get your foot in the door at Loma Linda but low enough to require that there be something particularly extraordinary in your supplemental.

Also, one of the reasons some schools give supplementals with short deadlines is to check that your personal statement wasn't heavily edited or written by someone else. If the PS looks like it was written by Shakespeare but the supplemental essays look like they were filled out by someone who is non-fluent in English, then that is seen as a huge red flag. This is something everyone should keep in mind.

Schools are more than happy to take your donations (aka supplemental fees) whether they feel you're qualified to be a student in their program or not.

Does anyone else think supplementals/secondary apps should only be sent to the students that admissions really feel make good candidates rather than just anyone that has the minimum gpa? Like we spend days answering these supplemental questions and then it's almost as if they don't even read them. They just deny based on stats. For loma Linda for example, their supplemental is really excessive and I really answered each question thoroughly and carefully and honestly. Then when they denied me they said it's because of DAT. Like you obviously knew my dat before wasting my time and having me write a novel for your supplemental. Idk. I understand it's their way of making money, but I feel like this should change. It's not fair to us. All those fees add up. It just makes more sense to send to students they will actually consider and care to learn more about. *rant over
Forget about fair, accept things the way they are for you own sanity. You are on your way to become a professional with a high earning potential, you will be plucked by everyone with no shame on this way.
LLU does not change topics often, you may need your essays next year

well let's be real. the schools are run by dentists, many of whom came into the profession for money (;

Schools don't care what is "fair". They care what makes them the most money. In the end, it's a business.

But then may God have mercy on your soul if you even hint at the fact that you want to be a dentist because they make good money on your application or interviews. Double standards.
lol. I feel like for medicine you can't really say that, but for dentistry it basically is a business and you should be allowed to say you want to make good money.