"Supplies" For Vet School

Started by kaydubs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like pens, especially the felt tip sort that don't bleed through and don't dent the page while I write (if you get what I mean, I hate when the page below has indentions from my writing). However, I tend to try and write the first letter of the NEXT word I'm thinking of (like, I skip a word) and then I would have to scribble something out (ugh) or use white out (which you can still totally see, ugh ugh). So, I use pencils out of necessity.

AND, if that weren't enough, I HATE mechanical pencils because I write heavy and I break the lead every three sentences. And then the new lead that I click out is all jagged and pointy and makes the writing a lot darker all of a sudden. Unacceptable!

So I'm old school and use these guys:

dixon-011.jpg


And I love them. The erasers are great. There's nothing quite like a fresh pencil, just sharpened for the first time... heck, I even like how they smell.

I never fell in love with highlighters, possibly because of my anal retentive urge to NOT mark in my textbooks. I especially hate when it bleeds through to the other side of the page. I look through used texts to make sure there isn't any highlighting... bugs me.

I guess we're all a bit crazy...

Also, as a side note, I have gone through TWO new pencils this semester, start to tiny nub. That's a crap-ton of writing. My callous is getting bigger! (I hold my pencils like a total weirdo - I'll probably get CTS this semester or something, whatever happens to hands. Haha.)
 
AND, if that weren't enough, I HATE mechanical pencils because I write heavy and I break the lead every three sentences. And then the new lead that I click out is all jagged and pointy and makes the writing a lot darker all of a sudden. Unacceptable!
Not that I'm plugging for mechanical pencils, but most of them have the .7mm thickness lead. That breaks quite easily but I use the .9mm lead and while it seems inconsequential, it's actually quite a bit thicker and I much prefer it. You can find them fairly easily at any office supply store, you just have to make sure and look at the lead thickness and make sure it's what you want.

I can't stand regular pencils because I can't stand sharpening them! A mechanical pencil to me always has this mediocre but consistent not-dull not-razor sharp writing... while a regular pencil is too inconsistent, and then my writing looks all different! Arrrrghhh!! 😡

No, I'm not anal-retentive at all. And YES, it is spelled with a hyphen.
 
Not that I'm plugging for mechanical pencils, but most of them have the .7mm thickness lead. That breaks quite easily but I use the .9mm lead and while it seems inconsequential, it's actually quite a bit thicker and I much prefer it. You can find them fairly easily at any office supply store, you just have to make sure and look at the lead thickness and make sure it's what you want.

I can't stand regular pencils because I can't stand sharpening them! A mechanical pencil to me always has this mediocre but consistent not-dull not-razor sharp writing... while a regular pencil is too inconsistent, and then my writing looks all different! Arrrrghhh!! 😡

No, I'm not anal-retentive at all. And YES, it is spelled with a hyphen.


HAHA I think we're meant to be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I rotate the pencil so the lead looks even. Maybe I just have the knack... I could show you my notes so you'd believe me. 🙂 I'm only on page 9 of my biochem review... bwah.

And still, I don't like the 'flatness' that a mechanical pencil gets, and sometimes it squeaks on the paper while you are writing... lmao I sound like a damn nutcase.
 
I rotate the pencil so the lead looks even. Maybe I just have the knack... I could show you my notes so you'd believe me. 🙂 I'm only on page 9 of my biochem review... bwah.

And still, I don't like the 'flatness' that a mechanical pencil gets, and sometimes it squeaks on the paper while you are writing... lmao I sound like a damn nutcase.

But what do you do with the pencil when you just sharpen it... it's so much thinner than after you write with it a little while! 😡 I used to go over my notes to make the lines fatter so that it would look the same when I used regular pencils. I do feel you about the squeakyness. And as weird as I must sound by this point, that actually doesn't bother me.

Even now I routinely rewrite notes so they look pretty. Even if they're neat but not pretty I sometimes rewrite them.

I NEED MORE HYPHENS!
 
Ah, if I oversharpen (which I usually don't sharpen to a needle sharp point, just for the reason you mentioned) then I will scribble a little bit on some other scrap paper. The edge of my desk calendar has scribbles all down one side from just that!

Neeeeeeerrrrrds. We are them.
 
All of this talk of writing in pencil makes me want to :barf:

I can't stand them!! Pens, on the other hand, are amazing. 😍 I was the crazy person doing math tests in pen. Or any test for that matter. 😳

And I second whoever brought up the Sharpie liquid highlighters... they are lovely. And I like the darker colors instead of the typical fluorescent!
 
All of this talk of writing in pencil makes me want to :barf:

I can't stand them!! Pens, on the other hand, are amazing. 😍 I was the crazy person doing math tests in pen. Or any test for that matter. 😳

I was the same way. And then I got to vet school and started second guessing everything I wrote down. I invested in my first box of pencils since like, 3rd grade, 2 weeks into my first semester. And still tend to use them most of time. I HATE HATE HATE the feel of the pencil scratching over the paper. I like nice smooth rolling pens, and BLACK pens. None of this light grey stuff, and no blue pens. I like it to look bold on the paper.

And as much as I hate pencils, I hate scribbling things out more. Especially on multiple choice exams and things like that. Pencil all the way now 🙁



ETA: I also never highlighted in a single textbook until I got about half thru the first semester of vet school. Histology stress overcame my OCD about that.
 
Last edited:
I am a mechanical pencil girl. I like a nice sharp tip all the time, and that's just not possible with a regular pencil. Starts sharp, then gets less and less so, sharpen it, repeat. I got into the habit of using mechanical pencils in high school when half the pencil sharpeners in the classrooms didn't really work, and I hated stopping work to resharpen anyway.

I don't like pens because I have a tendency to not totally lift my pen/pencil between letters, but I'm not handwriting, I'm printing. I find the pens leave a little trail if you're not totally off the page that pencils don't, so if I'm writing with a pen, I get this weird joined-together scribble.

And I'm also anal-retentive about marking in books. I got over it during a histology course though, when the textbook was better than the lectures.
 
I was the same way. And then I got to vet school and started second guessing everything I wrote down. I invested in my first box of pencils since like, 3rd grade, 2 weeks into my first semester. And still tend to use them most of time. I HATE HATE HATE the feel of the pencil scratching over the paper. I like nice smooth rolling pens, and BLACK pens. None of this light grey stuff, and no blue pens. I like it to look bold on the paper.

And as much as I hate pencils, I hate scribbling things out more. Especially on multiple choice exams and things like that. Pencil all the way now 🙁

Well to be fair, I always use a pencil during tests without scrap paper. I scribble stuff in the margins that I can erase at the end when my answers have been written in pen. :meanie: Also it's not that I never second guess myself, it's just that I'd rather have to cross something out than write with evil pencils!

My condolences on making the switch to lead. :laugh:
 
holy crap PENS!!

I very rarely use highlighters because reading things doesn't make them sink in to me. But writing them down means they're etched in there. So I use a lot of pens. One exam's worth of material in one class will burn through like 1-3 pens. It is ridiculous. 😱

Uh oh. That's me. I write everything down. I use the highlighter to visually separate some of my notes if I want to look at them later... but I'm a compulsive re-writer.

Better start saving for my massive pen investment.
 
Better start saving for my massive pen investment.

Ha this reminds me... The only time I ever had a nice pen (my name was etched in the side and it was given to me by one of my mentors) I lent it to my SO and he lost it in his house. This is why I can't have nice things.

I'm a pen freak also. Love love love them. I have taken all of my notes in pen since high school (no smears) though I do study guides in pencil. I don't use highlighters at all.

Point is, I will also be making a down payment on a set of pens if I get in.
 
I'm told markers and colored pencils are invaluable in anatomy. You'll probably also want to stock up on index cards, pens/pencils/highlighters, and vodka.

What?


I used colored pencils a lot on my anatomy coloring books. I recommend getting a set with as many different colors as possible considering sometimes you'll need to use 40+ different colors on one chart.

And don't get Rose Art. Their colored pencils suck! I got a set with 72 colored pencils but A LOT of them were duplicates! You could seriously color with one pencil and then the other similar pencil, side by side, and not be able to tell the marks came from two different pencils. Needless to say, it was difficult to find enough different colors when I was coloring charts that had heaps of things to color!

I don't like using markers, they bleed through the page and make the other side look hideous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I LOVE it that we all are discussing our neurotic writing implement preferences. Finally a group of people that understands!!!

For me, it's pens. Uni-ball Vision Elite pens. I'm extremely particular about my pens and actually carry a bunch of 'crap' pens/pencils to loan out in case someone asks to borrow one (if you ever get a chance to borrow a pen and I hand you one of my 'good' pens... true sign that I put some trust in you.... either that or be prepared for me to constantly hound you down...). I'm figuring that during summer, I'll start stockpiling my pens. I get giddy just thinking about buying them.... (so sad that I can find my way around Office Max, Staples-- and even Lowe's-- far better than I can find anything in a clothing store....)

I have a feeling my note-taking will have to change as I start vet school. Usually, I write everything originally in pencil (mechanical pencil, that is... 0.7mm lead... the cheapest I can find...) and afterwards (when I go back for review), I write it out neater in pens (colored for different points, things to remember, etc.). I don't know if I'll be dedicated enough to keep re-writing my notes but I mentally cannot study from messy looking notes.

I have issues.:help:
 
Depending on the subject, I take notes in either pen or pencil (or type them!)

Does anyone else here only want to write with the fine point pens? The medium point pens make my handwriting look so fat and childish. The fine tip pens are actually fun to write with, though! Tell me I'm not just being neurotic about this and that there are others out there like me!
 
Pelagia- I totally agree with you about the fine tip pens!! My handwriting is very straight up and down, and I tend to leave very little space between letters and words- when I use a medium tip pen, then go back and look at my notes, it looks like a crazed serial killer wrote the page. Fine tip pens are an absolute must!!

And btw, I love this thread- I have been writing down (with my fine tip pen🙂 ) everything that has been suggested on here- I'm so excited to go back to school shopping after a year off!!!
 
I LOVE it that we all are discussing our neurotic writing implement preferences. Finally a group of people that understands!!!

For me, it's pens. Uni-ball Vision Elite pens. I'm extremely particular about my pens and actually carry a bunch of 'crap' pens/pencils to loan out in case someone asks to borrow one (if you ever get a chance to borrow a pen and I hand you one of my 'good' pens... true sign that I put some trust in you.... either that or be prepared for me to constantly hound you down...). I'm figuring that during summer, I'll start stockpiling my pens. I get giddy just thinking about buying them.... (so sad that I can find my way around Office Max, Staples-- and even Lowe's-- far better than I can find anything in a clothing store....)

I have a feeling my note-taking will have to change as I start vet school. Usually, I write everything originally in pencil (mechanical pencil, that is... 0.7mm lead... the cheapest I can find...) and afterwards (when I go back for review), I write it out neater in pens (colored for different points, things to remember, etc.). I don't know if I'll be dedicated enough to keep re-writing my notes but I mentally cannot study from messy looking notes.

I have issues.:help:

not YOU have issues, I think WE have issues...

during undergrad anatomy/physiology, I had people making copies of my notes because I over organize the entire page with boxes, lines, etc... it's kind of an obsession; I even had detailed drawings in colored PENS (I don't do pencils, too inconsistent) that were more detailed than the book.

and yes I am a little too excited to go supplies shopping soon...

ps: pilot precise V5's....
 
Absolutely love this thread! I was just talking to someone about possible interview questions - and I (only somewhat jokingly) said that a major weakness of mine is having anything written in different colors.

For instance - shopping lists *must* be written by the same person and in the same color. To keep me grounded, my husband will sometimes find my shopping lists, add "MILK" in bold, pink highlighter. Then he'll make me look at it, say that it is OK, and NOT re-write the list. Probably healthy for me because it bugs me more than it should!

All of my notes are in this pen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bic_Cristal

I know - super simple. But it writes the first time EVERY time. Also, I always write in blue so that it stands out better from the printed notes provided by the prof. The thickness of the lines is also perfect for me. If they ever stop making them I really will cry.

SO glad that other people are as (or more!) neurotic about this as me :laugh:
 
I am very picky about my pens, my absolute favorite is the Pilot V razor point extra fine.

I am picky because I do not hold my pen like a normal person would, so cheap or extra "runny pens" will be smeared across my notes and the side of my hand.

These pens do not smear and they are very bold which i love, and do not leak to the other side of the page. Once I discovered these pens all my undergrad notes were in these pens. Plus the black and blue very vibrant that it wont get lost if you are writing on a pdf or powerpoint slides.

they are not the cheapest pens but one pen would last me at least a quarter of classes.

Happy writing utensil shopping to everyone!
 
Extreme sadness that no one has yet mentioned my favorite pen EVER. I love Papermate Eraser-Mate pens. Yes it's a pen, the ink rolls out nice and smooth, but the ink is easily erased! Over time the ink becomes more permanent so it can get harder to erase but I kind of like that. My absolute favorite and the best of both worlds, IMO. They sell them all over the place but classmates are always fascinated when I pull one out. I also discovered erasable highlighters but they dried out pretty quickly so I stick with the click-able sharpies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm on my second semester with this set and they're still holding out pretty well. The sad thing is that I always put them back in the little packet in roy g. biv order. 🙂
 
I'm on my second semester with this set and they're still holding out pretty well. The sad thing is that I always put them back in the little packet in roy g. biv order. 🙂

HA! I do the same thing. Wow people, we really are kindred spirits.
 
I'm on my second semester with this set and they're still holding out pretty well. The sad thing is that I always put them back in the little packet in roy g. biv order. 🙂

I'm sensing an OCD trend in vet-med people? 🙂

Anybody have any non-smear suggestions for the lefties amongst us? I *want* to take notes with a pen, but I've yet to find one that doesn't smear. So up to know I've stuck with trusty old Pentel P205 drafting pencil (mechanical).
 
Anybody have any non-smear suggestions for the lefties amongst us? I *want* to take notes with a pen, but I've yet to find one that doesn't smear. So up to know I've stuck with trusty old Pentel P205 drafting pencil (mechanical).

I'm a lefty but the way I hold my pen is like a righty (instead of doing the odd elbow lift thing...I think I remember Obama writing like that if you need a YouTube visual...). Anyways, I have no choice but to smear. Pencils are better than pens, in that respect, but still not very good. Fast-drying gel pens are a bit better, though.
 
LetItSnow, I've never had any ink smearing problems with the Pentel RSVP fine point. You might want to check those out.
 
I am huge on lead pencils (up until that I don't really have any and am sick of buying lead!). I love free pens but I prefer those that don't smear.

Thought I was alone in my search for a writing utensil that fits my personality quirks the best 😀

And after the day I've had, I feel that wine should be mentioned, as well as a Netflix subscription :-D
Because sometimes, you'd rather die than study.
😉 I may consider netflix.... Dying is what Stu-"dying" is all about. Perhaps the only lesson I learned from my frequent struggles with this rare thing called procrastination....
 
I'm sensing an OCD trend in vet-med people? 🙂

Anybody have any non-smear suggestions for the lefties amongst us? I *want* to take notes with a pen, but I've yet to find one that doesn't smear. So up to know I've stuck with trusty old Pentel P205 drafting pencil (mechanical).

Ex-boss was a lefty and used to use the Sharpie pens when they stopped carrying her favorite ones (can't remember what they were) in our area.
 
I absolutely love the Sharpie pens, but the color selection is a little limited, which has forced me to switch to colored pencils in my Anatomy & Physiology class.

I've been using the Livescribe Pulse pen for the last two years of my pre-reqs, and I don't know how I would have survived without it. It turns my handwritten notes into pdfs, and links each word to a recording of the lecture. I was hoping to use it during vet school, but you don't get too much mileage out of the ink cartridges - I go through at least 3 a semester with only 2 classes a week. Oh well, maybe I'll just invest in a separate recorder and stick to my Sharpies.
 
I am a clicky pen addict. I have found these pens that I absolutely love, but can only seem to get them from big companies. I have some from Webster, some from local places, but can't find any information on them to help me search for them. I want to order them in bulk because I love the way they write and they're just so comfortable for the way I hold my pen.

ETA: I've spent the last hour doing searches on bulk pen websites for this elusive pen and finally found it!!!! I am going to order thousands lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depending on the subject, I take notes in either pen or pencil (or type them!)

Does anyone else here only want to write with the fine point pens? The medium point pens make my handwriting look so fat and childish. The fine tip pens are actually fun to write with, though! Tell me I'm not just being neurotic about this and that there are others out there like me!

I print fairly small, and can't use larger tipped pens or I end up with illegible writing covered in globs of ink that won't dry. It's not so much an anal-retentive thing as it is a mechanics thing. 😉
 
Wow, nerdy writing utensil peeps! I'm the same way, I hoard all of it.

To those who have issues with mechanical pencils let me introduce you to *my* pencil.
147558.jpg

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/003411.php
It automatically rotates the lead so that you don't get the squeaky chisel pencil tip. I LOVE it.

My pen.
Uni-SXN-510.jpg

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Uni-Ball-Jetstream_Premier-SXN-510.html
SXN-210_Blue.jpg
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Uni-Ball_Jetstream_SXN-210.html
Those are pretty much the same pen, just different features. I hate gel pens and couldn't use one in my previous job. These write like a gel but are rollerball, and they don't smudge for you lefties.
 
The fact that this thread is about alcohol and writing utensils (and mostly the latter) makes me incredibly happy that I have found a group of people as crazy as I am. 😀
 
OK, I'm amused. thought I would add the pen set that about 10 people in my class are using.

Staedtler triplus fineliner 0.3mm
generally find them in the drafting section of office supply stores. come in sets of 7 or 20, in a nifty plastic container that opens and props up for easy access.

Now, I think these are a felt tip style, which I normally hate, but somehow they produce the finest lines. And the colors range from light gray to yellow to dark green and blue. I write my notes in a light color. The next time I review them, I 'highlight' some terms/phrases I missed (or key) in a darker version of the same color, and when I do another review, I might do the same with black. So far I haven't had any problems with streaking or bleeding through. I do admit that I'm bad about going through ink though (but I do that with my other pens as well.)

Oh, my favorite part is the pens are triangular. which seems to keep my hand from cramping.
 
Sum, while I hate felt tip pens with a passion, that's actually a really simple and useful-sounding study strategy. I'm going to have to try that, because writing things is so key for me. Thanks!

Felt tip pens 👎
Sum's study strategies (say that 5 times fast) 👍