"Supplies" For Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So, we've decided to go to vet school. (Hope there isn't a duplicate thread somewhere, if so, tell me please! :love:)

What sort of "shopping" for school supplies should someone do for the fall? Or do schools send their own little lists?? I'm looking at the recent stethoscope thing and thinking "OMG, what have I gotten myself into?" But then the stars and fuzzy feelings of Tufts come back and I stop thinking of that green, germy stuff. ($$) Any thoughts are grandly appreciated.

As OP: Please save the hostility for other threads. Thank you, have a grand day! (I include this only cause of the blatant hostility I've witnessed lately. Calm thyselves. We are all potential friends here :))

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for anyone else, but at Ohio State I'm almost positive they provide a list. I'm also pretty sure that you can buy everything you need through the school, though I'm sure the price would be far higher than if you just purchased them on your own. I for one plan to use my loan money for all that junk, so I won't be worrying about buying it for quite some time now. Especially things like a stethescope. My best friend bought me one for a "yay you got into vet school" present, but really you're not going to need it until you start clinics, right?

I'm told markers and colored pencils are invaluable in anatomy. You'll probably also want to stock up on index cards, pens/pencils/highlighters, and vodka.

What?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yummm, I forgot all about vodka.

Vanilla vodka + creme soda = :thumbup::love::laugh::):D:sleep:

So excited for you guys, I keep getting more and more anxious about applying and getting in. Now that I have my tech job, I have more confidence that I can get in (I was feeling a little down before looking over everyones stats). I have a feeling I am gonna go overboard with all the stuff the first year, I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to school supplies, I didn't even have to buy anything when I started back to school because I had so much leftover stuff from when I was in school before :laugh:. I know I am getting a new laptop for vet school (probably in the blackfriday sale this year) and this past blackfriday I got myself a TomTom, which I would think would come in quite handy when heading off to a new city (especially if you have a horrible sense of direction like I do).

So excited for you, have fun getting ready!

Hey,

So you're putting together things for Vet School! Great! I will say that at The Ohio State University, yes they do send you a list but not all things on that list should you buy. And usually the prices are actually NOT higher than what you can buy elsewhere. That being said, you can't beat getting a free stethescope and you do actually need it before clinics. You need it several times in your first two years and you use it heavily as a third year student.

Take it from a current third year student, be happy that you got in and enjoy the moment!

Have a great day!

Oklahoma State sends a list with our book list. The supplies I needed to buy were really just for anatomy (a scalpel handle and blades, rat-tooth forceps, etc). Anytime I needed a stethoscope for first year, they provided one. I second the index cards, colored pencils, pens/pencil sentiment. Oh and the alcohol!

Yummm, I forgot all about vodka.

Vanilla vodka + creme soda = :thumbup::love::laugh::):D:sleep:

What about tequila? :smuggrin:

If I get into Minnesota, I am waiting until I get there to buy highlighters and pens... they have the most fabulous wall of them in the bookstore... I practically had to be dragged away kicking and screaming when we visited the campus. :p

(Yes. I have a problem.) :laugh:

To be frankly honest if I were truly going to recommend alcohol it would be Jack Daniel's No. 7 Old Tennessee. And coke.

:laugh::laugh: Thanks for the feedback so far! (Glad to see no one trying to eat children's dreams here:D)

Anyone have feedback on Tufts specifically?? (I suppose I could harass some current Tufts students....but SDN is soooo convenient compared to writing an email;))

EDIT: side bar on alcohol: can anyone explain why you choose to drink alcohol? (save that for a PM please). I'm truly curious. I don't understand the phenomenon & have tried different stuff but can't make myself drink the stuff. It smells like something I would not want to ingest....

Last edited:
My favorite pre-veterinary school purchases:
Giant white board!!
A hugeeee walll calendar
Lots of dry erase markers
Highlighters, index cards, printer paper, pens, pencils, colored pencils, binders, clipboard. Voice recorder if you like that.
Coveralls
Scrubs
White coats-- at least here, we have to wear one during anatomy lab and other labs.
Latex/nitrile gloves. I'm on my third box for this year :laugh:
Muck boots/rain boots.
Anddd, for Tufts: Warm boots, warm jacket, warm socks, rain jacket, umbrella, and snow shovel :laugh:

I'd hold off on a stethoscope/thermometer/penlight until you talk to a current student and find out if its needed right away. At least here, they give away free ones at lots of meetings and such.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

So you're putting together things for Vet School! Great! I will say that at The Ohio State University, yes they do send you a list but not all things on that list should you buy. And usually the prices are actually NOT higher than what you can buy elsewhere. That being said, you can't beat getting a free stethescope and you do actually need it before clinics. You need it several times in your first two years and you use it heavily as a third year student.

Take it from a current third year student, be happy that you got in and enjoy the moment!

Have a great day!

Ooh, I stand corrected. Glad I've got one then! Thanks for the info.

And for those of you who suggested I replace my beloved vodka with tequila: SHUN.

A little part of me feels like getting ready to go to vet school isn't all that different from going to Hogwarts. Robes, books, wand... :D

Anyway, from what I understand the schools provide a list of things you should get. The part I would worry about is your own personal stuff - weather appropriate clothes, useful technologies, etc.

I can't speak for anyone else, but at Ohio State I'm almost positive they provide a list. I'm also pretty sure that you can buy everything you need through the school, though I'm sure the price would be far higher than if you just purchased them on your own. I for one plan to use my loan money for all that junk, so I won't be worrying about buying it for quite some time now. Especially things like a stethescope. My best friend bought me one for a "yay you got into vet school" present, but really you're not going to need it until you start clinics, right?

The OSU will give you a list of the recommended and "required" books for all your courses, but I would highly recommend talking to your big sib before you go out purchasing all of them. If you bought everything recommended you would probably spend well over 2 grand just on books first year when in reality the books you actually need would probably run you less than $200(many of the books your big sib might be able to lend you also). Also for some classes like immunology and histology getting books that are a version or two behind is sufficient and much cheaper.

I also know thats it feels like a great idea to try and build up your own little personal reference library at home, but it's probably better to wait until you actually need the books. Its quite possible there will be a newer edition available of a given book when you actually need it, so waiting gets you the latest info. Also throughout the year you will get emails from upper classmen looking to sell books they no loner need/want.

Regarding prices, Amazon.com is generally 5-15% cheaper than the student book store when you factor in amazon having free shipping and not charging state tax.

A little part of me feels like getting ready to go to vet school isn't all that different from going to Hogwarts. Robes, books, wand... :D

Speaking of HP and alcohol... try butterscotch schnapps and cream soda to make adult butterbeer! :cool:

dealoz.com. Checks prices for a book across all websites, including personal sellers. I only use this site to buy books, even if it would take 2 weeks lol.

Especially things like a stethescope. My best friend bought me one for a "yay you got into vet school" present, but really you're not going to need it until you start clinics, right?

When you're required to have one probably varies from school to school, but you can bet you'll need one before clinics. You have to learn how to use them before you're presented with a cardio dog or something and asked for a diagnosis :)

We were encouraged to buy stethoscopes the first semester, but we didn't get around to officially using them until our cardiovascular physiology section a few weeks ago. Still, they're really handy to have if you're in the teaching hospital and there's a case you want to learn from.

What about tequila? :smuggrin:

If I get into Minnesota, I am waiting until I get there to buy highlighters and pens... they have the most fabulous wall of them in the bookstore... I practically had to be dragged away kicking and screaming when we visited the campus. :p

... unless you went over to the Mpls campus, CT, that was the really tiny bookstore you saw (were you in the one only a block or two from the hospital?).

Don't worry. Since I appear to be the only UMN ISer actively posting on SDN (you c/o 2014ers don't count), I'm vowing to provide alcohol to any classmates when they arrive for school.

Hahaha! This thread is making me so happy! It is finally starting to feel real now that all these advice-for-newly-accepted-student threads are popping up. Wow, we are going to vet school in a few short months! I am going to bask in the happy feelings as long as possible (re: avoid the current student thread at all costs). Step 1: Listen to my dog's heartbeat using the amazing engraved stethoscope my future hubby got me recently. It is engraved with my future name :love:.

I am guilty of buying new things before each school year instead of waiting to see what I will need. It continues to prove to be a stupid habit, but I just can't help myself. I'll probably have a new laptop, new lab coat, new everything by the time vet school starts, although I should be putting all that money into savings. I am a poor college student with delusions of grandeur. :shrug:

I know it's a super exciting time for everyone, and it's really really fun to go out and buy things and fantasize about what you'll be doing with all this stuff, but be careful about a couple of things.

Pencils and coloring pencils and such, sure whatever buy out the entire shelf at Staples!

But I'd hold off on things like lab coats and dissection kits and stuff until you receive info from your school. For instance, I got my lab coat free from school, and the school sold really really cheap dissection kits that were adequate for anatomy. We even got 30 min of lab time devoted to stethoscopes, what the differences are between different kinds, etc... so that we could make an informed decision on what to buy.

Or, if you're really eager, ask someone who already goes to the school you're going to!

... unless you went over to the Mpls campus, CT, that was the really tiny bookstore you saw (were you in the one only a block or two from the hospital?).

It was the tiny one in the basement of the student center. Please don't tell me there is a better Wall O' Art Stuff in Minneapolis... should they accept me, my student loans will not be pleased. :laugh:

Don't worry. Since I appear to be the only UMN ISer actively posting on SDN (you c/o 2014ers don't count), I'm vowing to provide alcohol to any classmates when they arrive for school.

I sense someone attempting to throw the curve... :smuggrin:

Hahaha! This thread is making me so happy! It is finally starting to feel real now that all these advice-for-newly-accepted-student threads are popping up. Wow, we are going to vet school in a few short months! I am going to bask in the happy feelings as long as possible (re: avoid the current student thread at all costs). Step 1: Listen to my dog's heartbeat using the amazing engraved stethoscope my future hubby got me recently. It is engraved with my future name :love:.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW. If only we all met at a sort of platform 9 and 3/4 before we shipped off to our respective vet schools. :biglove:

Last edited:

Ahhh, this is so great! I've totally been referring to my acceptance letter as "my Hogwarts letter". Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Nerds unite! :p

It was the tiny one in the basement of the student center. Please don't tell me there is a better Wall O' Art Stuff in Minneapolis... should they accept me, my student loans will not be pleased. :laugh:

You might want to have someone lock up your check card. :) The bookstore over in Minneapolis is more like a Target or Walmart. Except, you know, for students.

I sense someone attempting to throw the curve... :smuggrin:

Geez. Classes haven't even started and my plans are already being foiled.

these are all good suggestions!
i just have one thing to add...you seriously need to buy a HUGE box of highlighters lol i swear little miller sucks them dry. not to mention dyce. i now have a stock pile of about 40 highlighters and i go through a couple a week. I also like page tabs, i have some cheap paper ones to mark figures on and then I have some nice sturdy ones that i can write on. I have so many different books for anatomy, it is impossible to read them on so i just park the pages that are important so i can go back to them fast.

i just have one thing to add...you seriously need to buy a HUGE box of highlighters lol i swear little miller sucks them dry. not to mention dyce. i now have a stock pile of about 40 highlighters and i go through a couple a week. I also like page tabs, i have some cheap paper ones to mark figures on and then I have some nice sturdy ones that i can write on. I have so many different books for anatomy, it is impossible to read them on so i just park the pages that are important so i can go back to them fast.

stop procrastinating on here and study :p

ps. I wish there was an Instant message service on SDN.

also, so that I contribute something meaningful to this thread...
yes. stock up on highlighters, pens etc. I've gone through a zillion of them this past semester.

I SWEAR by Staedtler Textsurfer Classic highlighters. Hard to find lately, but so worth it. (I got a 10 pack of different colors on Amazon). I love the rectangular shape, and they last FOREVER. I had 2 all through undergrad (frequent use) and they just died at the beginning of this semester. 4.5 years is pretty good to me! They need a few seconds to dry on glossy paper, but are instant on regular printer paper.
You could probably get high off the smell of them, but that's besides the point :)

sort of off topic I guess, but I thought shoes could be considered "school supplies"

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good shoes for standing/being on your feet all day? My job now I sit all day, and I really need to invest in some good shoes, especially since my back and legs tend to bother me a lot when I'm on my feet all day.

Any advice would be appreciated!:D

sort of off topic I guess, but I thought shoes could be considered "school supplies"

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good shoes for standing/being on your feet all day? My job now I sit all day, and I really need to invest in some good shoes, especially since my back and legs tend to bother me a lot when I'm on my feet all day.

I second the Danskos. Sure, they look a little funky, but they are incredibly supportive.

Love my danskos! I think crocs are pretty comfy too. And just as importantly as the shoes, make sure you invest in some quality socks (built in support, etc.) I'm a big fan of Teko and SmartWool. I've got everything from crew cut to light weight hiking that I wear on a regular basis, and then some heavy winter pairs as well. Believe me, the price tag is totally worth it. They last and don't fall apart like cheap socks either. I've found they make a hugeeee difference in how my feet feel after a day of standing.

I use crocs. I know, I know, super dorky but they're the only shoe I can stand in for 13 hours without crying like a baby. I get the shoes that they make for chefs because I tend to fall a lot otherwise. Seriously, you can jump on a wet linoleum floor and won't fall because of the traction stuff they have on the bottom. Also, I get the crocs without holes because I'm afraid that poop will get on my feet through the hole or that a needle will fly in and poke me.

I SWEAR by Staedtler Textsurfer Classic highlighters. Hard to find lately, but so worth it. (I got a 10 pack of different colors on Amazon). I love the rectangular shape, and they last FOREVER. I had 2 all through undergrad (frequent use) and they just died at the beginning of this semester. 4.5 years is pretty good to me! They need a few seconds to dry on glossy paper, but are instant on regular printer paper.
You could probably get high off the smell of them, but that's besides the point :)

:laugh: good to know! wow, ive never seen a pack come with all diff colors! 8 pack that are 8 diff colors?!!? amazing!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: good to know! wow, ive never seen a pack come with all diff colors! 8 pack that are 8 diff colors?!!? amazing!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that there were 8 colors. Evidently, my undergrad needs to get with the times... and I need to make a few investments. :smuggrin:

I've liked all the Danskos I've tried - my mom's a nurse and wears them a ton - but I've basically lived in my Keen "sneakers" for the last five years. (Pretty much like these, but slightly different colours).

For shoes, I personally love my Merrell's. I have a sneaker/hiking shoe version, a professional style with a heel, and a pair of comfortable but look professional that I use pretty much every day in clinics.

It's threads like this that make me the happiest since I have been accepted. I still am waiting on a few other schools ( ISU WTF) so I am kind of emotionally rollercoastering (new verb).

After obsessing on the threads for the schools I am waiting for I get on here and am like OMG THIS IS FOR MEEEE!!! I am a future VET STUDENT!!! :eek: :D

It's threads like this that make me the happiest since I have been accepted. I still am waiting on a few other schools ( ISU WTF) so I am kind of emotionally rollercoastering (new verb).

After obsessing on the threads for the schools I am waiting for I get on here and am like OMG THIS IS FOR MEEEE!!! I am a future VET STUDENT!!! :eek: :D

I totallllly agree! My boyfriend hates when I get on SDN and start comparing my stats with the successful applicants thread or obsessing about not hearing from certain schools yet because I'm reading that some people have or they did last year or whatever. I was on it yesterday on my phone and he was like "get off already. Leave it alone." And I was like no, this is a happy thread! It's about all the cool stuff I get to buy when I go to vet school :love:

This thread makes me happy too!:thumbup: It was, however, recently discovered by my sister while helping me move that I have a problem with "writing utensil hoarding." I have therefore been forbidden to buy any more writing utensils (includes highlighters:() until I have used up what I have. Sad day. I think part of why I became a teacher was because I love office supplies.

And just for the record, my favorite highlighters are the liquid Sharpie highlighters... they come in TEN colors. I kid you not. Red, pink, salmon, orange, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue, bluish purple, reddish purple. And yes, I did that from memory... my set is at school, not here. I'll give you that some colors are a little dark, but I don't care. I love them anyway.:love:

TI have a problem with "writing utensil hoarding." I have therefore been forbidden to buy any more writing utensils (includes highlighters:() until I have used up what I have.

Boo! Using a basket full of random pencils/highlighters is nowhere near as satisfying as buying a new pack. They are so pretty and clean and perfect... :)

I am sure you can sneak in a pack or so ;). Y'know, just in case some of them run out.

holy crap PENS!!

I very rarely use highlighters because reading things doesn't make them sink in to me. But writing them down means they're etched in there. So I use a lot of pens. One exam's worth of material in one class will burn through like 1-3 pens. It is ridiculous. :eek:

This makes me so happy. I haven't gotten into vet school yet but I love school supplies. My friends think I'm weird because second to mardi gras, school supply shopping season is my favorite time of year! My mom and I go through all the circulars and find the things for pennies! Love, love, LOVE