"Supplies" For Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sum's study strategies (say that 5 times fast) :thumbup:

I learned in from my closest friend. She's better at it than I am (has really pretty writing) but she inspires me to write more. We both carry the 7 packs in our bags, and have the 20 set at home. I've never liked any others, but these are nearly needle point, they are actually good enough that I can sketch much like I do with colored pencils.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been using the Livescribe Pulse pen for the last two years of my pre-reqs, and I don't know how I would have survived without it. It turns my handwritten notes into pdfs, and links each word to a recording of the lecture. I was hoping to use it during vet school, but you don't get too much mileage out of the ink cartridges - I go through at least 3 a semester with only 2 classes a week. Oh well, maybe I'll just invest in a separate recorder and stick to my Sharpies.

You like it? My b/f has been doing A LOT of research on smart pens (I think that's what he's getting me for my birthday :soexcited:). I've been itching to get one but with the way I hear OSU does their notes, I'm a little leary.... I've heard a lot of nay-sayers from OSU saying that it'd be a wasted investment... don't know... I'm figuring I could use it somehow. Can you buy ink cartridges in stores or do you have to order them on-line?

Staedtler triplus fineliner 0.3mm

Oh, my favorite part is the pens are triangular. which seems to keep my hand from cramping.

Going to Staples tonight....

WHAT? I'm a guy, there ARE only 7 colors: Roy G Biv.

Anything else is just some snobby art invention. ;-)

:thumbup:

I think the rest of the colors were invented to screw with the 8% of the male population that is color deficient.

Back on topic, is the purchase of a microscope no longer required? I seem to remember this being a requirement at Purdue back in the '94-'98 time frame.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the rest of the colors were invented to screw with the 8% of the male population that is color deficient.

Prismacolor has a set of 120. I've been eyeing it....

"My name is potf and I have an office supplies problem......"

:help:

This thread makes me happy too!:thumbup: It was, however, recently discovered by my sister while helping me move that I have a problem with "writing utensil hoarding." I have therefore been forbidden to buy any more writing utensils (includes highlighters:() until I have used up what I have. Sad day. I think part of why I became a teacher was because I love office supplies.

Ha my boyfriend has also limited my writing supplies. He says it's not good for my health. I then told him that diesel parts and what not are not good for his (he's a diesel mechanic and may love his truck more than me, but I pretend he doesn't). He backed off real quick. Yeah that's right don't mess with my supplies. Especially my multicolored Zebra pens.:love:

:next to potf: My name is KD and I also have an office supplies problem :D

I love making cards for people. I could spend an afternoon making a card rather than studying for my science exams. (Oh, wait.....I did do that ;)) Markers are my go-to. And thick colored paper. Typical construction paper just doesn't cut it!

And they let you fly? Is the FAA only concerned about you passing the Farnsworth Lantern Test? I had to pass that to go into the infantry. As soon as I saw those little bubble plates, I knew I wasn't going to be flying helicopters.

You like it? My b/f has been doing A LOT of research on smart pens (I think that's what he's getting me for my birthday :soexcited:). I've been itching to get one but with the way I hear OSU does their notes, I'm a little leary.... I've heard a lot of nay-sayers from OSU saying that it'd be a wasted investment... don't know... I'm figuring I could use it somehow. Can you buy ink cartridges in stores or do you have to order them on-line?

I really like it - I find it useful when I go back over my notes and need clarification on a specific part of lecture - I just tap the pen on the word, and it plays back the audio of that portion of the class. I have the older version though - I know that they've come out with a new one recently, so I don't know if they've changed anything.

I also convert the audio to aac, so I can put the lectures on my iPod or play them in my car (which comes in handy during my 45min commute to class). As for the ink cartridges, you can find them at Best Buy, Staples, and occasionally Target. The pack comes with 4 ink cartridges, 3 blue or black, and one red, and costs about $5. The one nice thing about the pen is that even if the ink runs out on you in lecture and you don't have a replacement, you can keep writing in the notebook and it will appear in the pdf (people might look at you funny, though). You also have to buy specific notebooks.

All in all, I think it was a good investment - but like I said, I don't know how good it would be in the vet school environment due to the low lifespan of the ink, and even though the battery is good for awhile, I don't know if it would hold up for a full day of lectures.

I was using my pen with 3 classes (now 2). For one of my classes, you have to write down word for word what is on the powerpoint slides because he doesn't provide them. So... I go through a LOT of ink. It also really bothers me when you start getting low and the ink only half works.

I do love the fact that you can play back the lectures with the tap of the pen... but I find the ink horrid... and it's twice as much here for some reason ($9.99 for a 5 pack). I'm used to writing with really find, gel-like pens. I like my notes to be really neat and bold. Just looking at my smart pen notes makes me *headdesk*

Also, two of my three profs are pretty quiet... and despite being in a small classroom, I pick up my hand sliding across the page as I write instead of picking up their voices.

Thanks for the pen suggestions y'all... I'm right-handed but write like a lefty, so I'm always smudging my writing with the side of my hand. I'm going to have to try some of these out. I like the multi-coloured felt tip pens idea.

I totally agree with your complaints about the quality of the ink - I've tried to get used to it, but it can be frustrating. Also, I find that the headphone-mics work pretty well to reduce the sound of my hand, the pen, and the sound of turning pages. They're not appropriate for some class situations, but work in my large lecture halls where the profs don't notice.

Chiming in for Dr. Grip, the best pen in the whole wide world!

DrGripGelInk_blister.jpg

The livescribe pulse pen was one of the best things I have ever bought in my life. I had a 3.8 my junior year taking 100% upper level science classes and I attribute it to the pen. It was magic for my animal physiology and neurobiology courses.

The only classes I don't like it with is math classes. I need to learn math by doing problems and listening to someone tell me how to do it doesn't help. My pen died this past semester and I never replaced it. I had some pretty awful classes this year (like p-chem) and all the "magic" pens in the world wouldn't have helped me.

I was planning on upgrading to the "Echo" pen when I went to vet school. But then I found out that one of my schools that I am wait-listed for requires you to buy a tablet PC with one-note. If I am taking notes like that, I won't need the pen.

Question for current vet students: tablet PCs, love them or hate them?

I never really considered them until I saw them in action at ISU. I really liked what I saw and am considering getting one no matter what school I go to. Do students (ISU students don't count) use tablet PCs and like them? Are they worth the extra expense?

Members don't see this ad :)
And after the day I've had, I feel that wine should be mentioned, as well as a Netflix subscription :-D
Because sometimes, you'd rather die than study.

I have now hit this point :D

Oh my goodness this thread is beyond hilarious. I've lost track of the amount of times I've actually laughed out loud at comments. I will never look at a pen the same way again. :laugh:

...I remember back at the beginning of undergrad when I still took notes.
It's gonna be a whole new ball game this time around.

I gotta live with vet students next year or I'll never get a good studying routine going!

I LOVE the idea of writing in a light color and then darkening it as you go, it sounds perfect! I am looking at my pen selections in a whole new way....

I don't think Mizzou provides a standard laptop and while I am so unbelievably :( at the idea of getting rid of my Dell that has lasted me through 4 years, I know I really need to get a new one!

I'm so glad I found a thread with people who are as obsessed as I am with talking about vet school. Once I got accepted I felt like I couldn't talk about anything else. I've got big time senioritis man!

I would also recommend (if you don't have already) getting a pair of scrubs or two that you don't mind trashing. Solid colors seems to be the trend around KSU. They come in handy for wet-labs (beyond anatomy lab.)

I love this thread! totally brightened my day!
as far as pens go I used to have a problem keeping track of my pens after loaning them out and especially at the vet clinic where i work, now i write with these beauties:
images

i know they are ridiculous but i never lose my pens now, and everyone is so embarrassed to write with them I always get them back :laugh:. And making them is a ton of fun to! (i'm a crafty person by nature)

Though I'm still an undergrad I have to say the best thing I ever bought for college was my net book:love:! I got the Eee pc from Asus,It was a fantastic deal and i carry this little thing with me everywhere, it is a lot more convenient and light-weight than my full size computer and it's great for taking notes, checking email/facebook :)rolleyes:) and just general on the go computing!

Just an FYI, I remember someone mentioned last year that they found SmartPens on super sale at Target, so I have been keeping my eye out.

Well, today I went and they had the Echo 4G SmartPen on clearance from $149 to $75:eek:. It was too good of a deal to pass it up. Super excited to try it out in Ochem tonight!

Just an FYI, I remember someone mentioned last year that they found SmartPens on super sale at Target, so I have been keeping my eye out.

Well, today I went and they had the Echo 4G SmartPen on clearance from $149 to $75:eek:. It was too good of a deal to pass it up. Super excited to try it out in Ochem tonight!

I got my echo when my professors started banning laptops. I LOVE mine. When you first get it you have the opportunity to name it and I named mine, "Good Grades" and so far it has lived up to its name.

I got my echo when my professors started banning laptops. I LOVE mine. When you first get it you have the opportunity to name it and I named mine, "Good Grades" and so far it has lived up to its name.

My bf got me the Echo for my birthday. So excited!

I love this thread, I am actually going to try out a few pens and pencils from it!

Does anyone know if one needs the TI89 calculator? (texas instruments)
I have one but was thinking about selling it, if it is not needed in Vet school.

Does anyone know if one needs the TI89 calculator? (texas instruments)
I have one but was thinking about selling it, if it is not needed in Vet school.

I've not once needed a calculator in vet school. Other than for my own personal Type-A personality grade calculations.

My bf got me the Echo for my birthday. So excited!

if you like taking notes by hand you are going to love it!!! if you feel like you were zoning out in lecture or just didn't understand something, I suggest putting a little star on the page and then later just click on the star to relisten to that part. So much faster than trying to search for a particular spot in the recording. I personally write the word "relisten" with a box that I check off once I have relistened to it.

Hello,

This is my first post. Did any of you guys interview in Miami? How was it?! I'm Kinda nervious any heads ups?!

BTW I love the Pentel RSVP fine point pens they rule!

Thankss!

BANNING LAPTOPS???? :eek:

(i understand why, but given how helpful laptops can be for taking notes and following along on slides...!)

BANNING LAPTOPS???? :eek:

(i understand why, but given how helpful laptops can be for taking notes and following along on slides...!)

A lot of my old-fashioned profs banned laptops in their classes. Fortunately they aren't the kind that do powerpoints and the kind that DO usually allow laptops.

I use BIC velocity gel blue and red pens. I also have five different colours of highlighters I use for studying. Sometimes I think I go a little nuts:laugh: with the highlighting while i'm studying but i've found that colours help me remember things. Everyone has different learning styles it is all about finding what works for you :).

Can I say I love this thread?

I always get confused when it's appropriate to bump a thread or not, but I feel like sharing this hidden gem. Ah, but then maybe I should hold back because not all interviews/acceptances are known yet.

Sorry for jumping the gun :oops:

A little part of me feels like getting ready to go to vet school isn't all that different from going to Hogwarts. Robes, books, wand... :D

Anyway, from what I understand the schools provide a list of things you should get. The part I would worry about is your own personal stuff - weather appropriate clothes, useful technologies, etc.

I was thinking the same thing! Yay! Hogwarts!

I love how quickly this thread became a discussion about office supplies. :laugh:

For those who mentioned disliking making up textbooks, I've found a great solution. Pilot FriXion Eraseable Highlighters! http://www.staples.com/Pilot-FriXion-Light-Erasable-Highlighters-Yellow-3-Pack/product_769966

I hate marking up new textbooks, especially if I plan to sell them after the course is over, but highlighting really helps me focus when I' m reading. These highlighters erase with the heat from friction. You can remove highlighting with the "eraser" end of the highlighter (which is really just plastic) or, if you need to remove large sections at a time you can just attack it with a hair dryerand the highlighting magically disappears! It's fantastic!!

I' d love to hear more from people who have SmartPens. Which brands/models are the best? Do they all require the special notebooks? I definitely want to get one when I go to vet school. If I could find one that would work with my Kindle Fire and Evernote, I would be in nerdy pre-vet heaven!

This thread is making me SOOOOO excited!!!!! Keep the supply suggestions coming!!

:soexcited: :clap: :soexcited: :woot:

I love the erasable highlighters, but they didn't last long and the highlighting fades with time. And if the previously highlighted book ever gets cold enough, like in a car in Northern states, it will come back at least a little. Test it with the fridge or freezer to see.

Just orderd some of those staedtler fine tip pens people were talking about in this thread in many different colors. We'll see what I think about them.

I have never heard of smart pens before this. WHAT. Amazing.

Wow, nerdy writing utensil peeps! I'm the same way, I hoard all of it.

To those who have issues with mechanical pencils let me introduce you to *my* pencil.
147558.jpg

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/003411.php
It automatically rotates the lead so that you don't get the squeaky chisel pencil tip. I LOVE it.

For the record, I have one of these and I love it. The eraser is super tiny though,

I cannot express how exciting that is.

er i'm not sure what year in school that person was/is, but we've need calculators both years here. things like nutrition, fluid therapy, drug calculations, etc. nothing super advanced like calculus, but definitely needed a calculator!

and don't be afraid of calculators! they are your friend :) you will need them every day for the rest of your life if you choose clinical practice!

er i'm not sure what year in school that person was/is, but we've need calculators both years here. things like nutrition, fluid therapy, drug calculations, etc. nothing super advanced like calculus, but definitely needed a calculator!

and don't be afraid of calculators! they are your friend :) you will need them every day for the rest of your life if you choose clinical practice!

Libster was (is?) at LSU. Just FYI.

We need a calculator here and there.

And if the previously highlighted book ever gets cold enough, like in a car in Northern states, it will come back at least a little. Test it with the fridge or freezer to see.

I never noticed that before. There may be some Amazon Marketplace buyers who are now very mad at me for selling them "Like New" textbooks . . . :oops:

You just need to keep one in your purse or backpack...

Maybe not everyone has as big of a purse as I do.

Do purses count as school supplies? lol.
I think purses are essential for vet school ;)

Not accepted yet but my big purchase will be a laser scanner/printer... maybe wireless... And page protectors to put copies of diagrams into so I can label again and again!
I'm a teacher and my bf doesn't usually let me into Staples, I can't wait!!

Not a writing instrument post (although I can't WAIT to get one of those Uni-ball Kuru Toga pencils), but a question about coveralls. I checked last year's list of supplies we'll need when we start and two pairs of short-sleeved coveralls were listed. As a SA person I'm a bit out of my element. Can anyone tell me if these would be sufficient?

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-coveralls/Short-Sleeve-Coverall-33999.jsp

Not a writing instrument post (although I can't WAIT to get one of those Uni-ball Kuru Toga pencils), but a question about coveralls. I checked last year's list of supplies we'll need when we start and two pairs of short-sleeved coveralls were listed. As a SA person I'm a bit out of my element. Can anyone tell me if these would be sufficient?

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-coveralls/Short-Sleeve-Coverall-33999.jsp

tis what is commonly worn by us warm weather kids :) (so yes)

Not accepted yet but my big purchase will be a laser scanner/printer... maybe wireless... !

Wireless is awesome. Saves me so much time / effort and enables my "studying on the couch/in bed habit." If only I could train the dogs to bring me the pages after they print in the other room!
Also, many new wireless printers have an option where you can email them a doc to be printed, so you can print on the go or from your phone.