"Supplies" For Vet School

Started by kaydubs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fine point all the way (or ultra fine if you have it) - i'm pretty obsessed with sharpie pens these days. blue pens for taking notes in class, green for out of class revision, pink for in class MCQs or TQs, etc.
 
A little part of me feels like getting ready to go to vet school isn't all that different from going to Hogwarts. Robes, books, wand... 😀

I've totally thought this too! I'm even considering getting my own Crookshanks to snuggle, relax with, and preform spells on NBD 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have electronic copies (PDF) of vet med textbooks? I have copies of my undergrad texts on PDF on my ipad and much prefer carrying that with me versus carrying massively heavy textbooks.
 
Does anyone have electronic copies (PDF) of vet med textbooks? I have copies of my undergrad texts on PDF on my ipad and much prefer carrying that with me versus carrying massively heavy textbooks.

Dissection Guide to the Dog is online and I used that at times when I didn't want to get my book out.

And I don't know about Cornell, but I have so far only bought Dyce and the dissections guides. The guides themselves aren't that large.
 
Does anyone have electronic copies (PDF) of vet med textbooks? I have copies of my undergrad texts on PDF on my ipad and much prefer carrying that with me versus carrying massively heavy textbooks.

There are lots available online if you search. No promises on legality or safety of any of the websites- some of them look a little sketchy. :laugh:
Theres one website in particular that's vetcvas.com or something like that (google that + free vet pdf and it should come up) has hundreds of PDFs. I haven't gotten around to actually looking at most of them but the equine repro one I accessed to look something up for a presenation worked wonderfully.
 
There are lots available online if you search. No promises on legality or safety of any of the websites- some of them look a little sketchy. :laugh:
Theres one website in particular that's vetcvas.com or something like that (google that + free vet pdf and it should come up) has hundreds of PDFs. I haven't gotten around to actually looking at most of them but the equine repro one I accessed to look something up for a presenation worked wonderfully.
That website is so cool Cowgirl! It had one of the books I needed. Now I just need ONE more! I am trying to find it as a free pdf: Manual of Veterinary Clinical Chemistry: A Case Study Approach, 2010 By Sharkey and Radin, If anyone has any experience with finding this book as a pdf!
 
Does anyone have any suggestions on finding spiral-bound 18-month July 2013-December 2014 planners? I know that's kind of picky, but, I'm hoping there's something out there.
Or just suggestions on nice spiral-bound 2013-2014 academic year calendars (that aren't DayMinder or At-A-Glance)?
 
Does anyone have any suggestions on finding spiral-bound 18-month July 2013-December 2014 planners? I know that's kind of picky, but, I'm hoping there's something out there.
Or just suggestions on nice spiral-bound 2013-2014 academic year calendars (that aren't DayMinder or At-A-Glance)?

I lucked out at Target last year. I can't for the life of me remember the brand, sorry. All I can say is that I tend to find the best calendars/planners in places I don't expect--interestingly, office supply stores (Office Depot, Staples, Office Max) have been the WORST for finding that kind of stuff. They're either cleaned out or they never have what you're looking for.

Good luck!

I also love Moleskine, but they aren't spiral-bound.
 
I lucked out at Target last year. I can't for the life of me remember the brand, sorry. All I can say is that I tend to find the best calendars/planners in places I don't expect--interestingly, office supply stores (Office Depot, Staples, Office Max) have been the WORST for finding that kind of stuff. They're either cleaned out or they never have what you're looking for.

Good luck!

I also love Moleskine, but they aren't spiral-bound.

Duh, Target! I'll have to try and see.

My current one was the only of its kind at a university bookstore, so might try agaon there. Seeing in person really makes a difference to me.
 
I think I'm going to buy a new laptop today. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a new laptop or just get a tablet and keyboard, but now I think I'm just going to go ahead with the laptop. Thank goodness for graduation monies.

So now the big debate is if I want to switch from PC and get a Mac or if I want to stick with PC and get a laptop with a touch screen so I can do things like draw arrows, color, and highlight easily. There have been a lot of times in UG that I wished I could draw on my screen to indicate something better, I'm thinking there are going to be more cases of that in vet school.

So right now I'm thinking of getting one of the following:
Mac Book Pro
Lenovo Yoga
Dell XPS 12

Both the Lenovo and Dell are convertible so you can switch to tablet mode which is nice. Anyone have any suggestions one way or another? Or any other suggestions entirely?
 
I think I'm going to buy a new laptop today. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a new laptop or just get a tablet and keyboard, but now I think I'm just going to go ahead with the laptop. Thank goodness for graduation monies.

So now the big debate is if I want to switch from PC and get a Mac or if I want to stick with PC and get a laptop with a touch screen so I can do things like draw arrows, color, and highlight easily. There have been a lot of times in UG that I wished I could draw on my screen to indicate something better, I'm thinking there are going to be more cases of that in vet school.

So right now I'm thinking of getting one of the following:
Mac Book Pro
Lenovo Yoga
Dell XPS 12

Both the Lenovo and Dell are convertible so you can switch to tablet mode which is nice. Anyone have any suggestions one way or another? Or any other suggestions entirely?

I feel like I read some negative Yoga reviews.. Maybe on the Miz FB page? Maybe on SDN? I'm not sure where. But I do remember reading that some where.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a MBP but it's a 17" behemoth from 2007 so not sure if relevant.

A friend of mine just got a MacBook Air, which is light and great for lugging around. A couple of people in my classes have iPads and draw all over those suckers.

You may be able to find some couple-year-old computers on Craigslist. You could probably get a tablet and a desktop/laptop for the same money. Stretch that dollar! 🙂
 
I was just reading some more on the Mizzou facebook page and it seems like as much as a Mac is great, it isn't compatible with a lot of the programs the school uses. Really leaning toward the Yoga. KP, couldn't find any negative comments on the Yoga here or on the Mizzou facebook. The Lenovo Helix looks AMAZING, but it costs more than I'm willing to spend. Definitely getting a warranty upgrade for 3 years in house service though. Lenovo has a pretty good deal on that.
 
Last edited:
I've heard good things about the Yoga too. But you might want to hold off a bit on buying a new laptop. Intel's new "Haswell" chips will be used in laptops coming out this summer and fall and will greatly increase the battery life on convertible laptops like the Yoga or the dell one or the surface. Also, we've basically only seen the 1st gen of convertibles. So the next round with the new chips are supposed to be much better.
 
I was just reading some more on the Mizzou facebook page and it seems like as much as a Mac is great, it isn't compatible with a lot of the programs the school uses. Really leaning toward the Yoga. KP, couldn't find any negative comments on the Yoga here or on the Mizzou facebook. The Lenovo Helix looks AMAZING, but it costs more than I'm willing to spend. Definitely getting a warranty upgrade for 3 years in house service though. Lenovo has a pretty good deal on that.

Hmm, I have no idea where I heard it. Sorry that wasn't much help lol ill dig some and maybe I can find it.
 
I've heard good things about the Yoga too. But you might want to hold off a bit on buying a new laptop. Intel's new "Haswell" chips will be used in laptops coming out this summer and fall and will greatly increase the battery life on convertible laptops like the Yoga or the dell one or the surface. Also, we've basically only seen the 1st gen of convertibles. So the next round with the new chips are supposed to be much better.

But I'd imagine that's going to make them much more expensive, right?
 
Nah. Usually the newest stuff is close to the same price as the previous generation from the year before. The previous generation then drops in price. So even if you still want the Yoga, wait for the Haswell computers to come out and that will push the price down since it will be "old" tech. Granted, that may be sometime in the fall and you might not want to (or can) wait that long if you need it right when school starts, but try to hold out until at least August to see what happens. And in tech, it's usually true that the thing you buy almost immediately becomes obsolete, but in this case, the technological jump is supposedly significant.
 
There's been decent stuff on sale in Ontario for a month or so if you pay attention. Someone suggested that they're liquidating last year's models to make room for a wave of touch screens this fall.
 
I went into a Windows store to ask about getting a new laptop, and the staff told us to wait until June/July because they are about to release a new generation of processor that is supposed to be absolutely amazing. So if you can wait to buy until closer to school starting, might be a good idea. And, as it was said above, this release will also drive down the prices of what is currently on the market 🙂
 
I went into a Windows store to ask about getting a new laptop, and the staff told us to wait until June/July because they are about to release a new generation of processor that is supposed to be absolutely amazing. So if you can wait to buy until closer to school starting, might be a good idea. And, as it was said above, this release will also drive down the prices of what is currently on the market 🙂

Any idea if this applies to tablets too? I was planning to get a tablet (probably Galaxy Note), and I was thinking I should get it probably as soon as I get home so I can figure out how to use it before school starts.

And as long as I'm posting anyway, any tips for using a Galaxy Note? Good note taking programs, how to write on pdfs, etc?
 
Any idea if this applies to tablets too? I was planning to get a tablet (probably Galaxy Note), and I was thinking I should get it probably as soon as I get home so I can figure out how to use it before school starts.

And as long as I'm posting anyway, any tips for using a Galaxy Note? Good note taking programs, how to write on pdfs, etc?

It comes with S Note on it which I use to take notes on it. You can organize everything into notebooks, so it's actually really nice. The program that comes on it to open PPTs also allows you to directly write on it if you view it in slide show mode.

I just download the PDF of my notes to dropbox and import to S Note.
 
I went into a Windows store to ask about getting a new laptop, and the staff told us to wait until June/July because they are about to release a new generation of processor that is supposed to be absolutely amazing. So if you can wait to buy until closer to school starting, might be a good idea. And, as it was said above, this release will also drive down the prices of what is currently on the market 🙂

Ehhhh, from what I've read the new processor is just an updated version of Atom made by Intel for Windows. Atom hasn't exactly been associated with great things in the past, and I'll believe the "lower prices" they're touting when I see them. I'm not sure I would get my hopes up too high for that one.

However, as far as laptops are concerned I would wait for "Windows Blue" to be released - it's basically going to be everything that Windows 8 should have been but completely failed at. Don't know if it will actually live up to its hype, but if you're considering a Windows laptop and have time to spare (unfortunately Windows has not announced a release date for it yet), it might be a good idea to wait and see what becomes of that. On the other hand, there was a rumor that Windows might be giving it out as a free upgrade to anyone who purchased Windows 8. It's a crapshoot either way I guess. :shrug:
 
Ehhhh, from what I've read the new processor is just an updated version of Atom made by Intel for Windows. Atom hasn't exactly been associated with great things in the past, and I'll believe the "lower prices" they're touting when I see them. I'm not sure I would get my hopes up too high for that one.

However, as far as laptops are concerned I would wait for "Windows Blue" to be released - it's basically going to be everything that Windows 8 should have been but completely failed at. Don't know if it will actually live up to its hype, but if you're considering a Windows laptop and have time to spare (unfortunately Windows has not announced a release date for it yet), it might be a good idea to wait and see what becomes of that. On the other hand, there was a rumor that Windows might be giving it out as a free upgrade to anyone who purchased Windows 8. It's a crapshoot either way I guess. :shrug:

I ended up going ahead and getting a new laptop. Even though the release date is June 3rd, I don't think the new processor is going to be out in full force for quite a while. So if it's not really going to be available until August or later, I can't really wait that long. I don't really want to figure out a new laptop and Windows 8 the first semester of school.
I'd imagine they will at least give a cheap upgrade to Windows Blue when it comes out if not make it free for people that purchased in a certain window.
 
I ended up going ahead and getting a new laptop. Even though the release date is June 3rd, I don't think the new processor is going to be out in full force for quite a while. So if it's not really going to be available until August or later, I can't really wait that long. I don't really want to figure out a new laptop and Windows 8 the first semester of school.

Which one did you end up getting?
 
I"ve been debating getting an iPad for classes. I used an ASUS laptop last year to take notes (OneNote) and had no issues, but I'm thinking I may like the drawing ability on the iPad which you can't get with a laptop. Does anyone know if I would be able to switch over all of my OneNote notebooks from my laptop to the iPad? (I believe Apple can run Microsoft Office now...)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which one did you end up getting?

I ended up getting the Lenovo Yoga 13. The reviews when it originally came out sounded like there were some problems (poor wireless connectivity specifically), but it sounds like they have worked out the kinks at this point. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of convertible laptop/tablet computers coming out in the near future. The Lenovo Helix looked pretty sweet too, but it was more than I wanted to spend. I should be getting the yoga this week though. Hopefully I end up liking it.

Edit: The one thing that isn't ideal about the Yoga is that I'm not going to have the capability to actually write on the screen well. It should be ok for drawing arrows, highlighting, things like that, but I don't think I'd actually be able to hand write notes on it. I wasn't planning on using it for that, but that might be a deal breaker for other people.
 
I"ve been debating getting an iPad for classes. I used an ASUS laptop last year to take notes (OneNote) and had no issues, but I'm thinking I may like the drawing ability on the iPad which you can't get with a laptop. Does anyone know if I would be able to switch over all of my OneNote notebooks from my laptop to the iPad? (I believe Apple can run Microsoft Office now...)

I don't have a Mac, but macs have their own word processing, excel, etc software, right? I don't think they have anything that would be compatible with OneNote. You could convert all your OneNote notebooks over to word documents though and do it that way. Not as nice, but at least you'd have everything you needed and then you could take new notes on whatever note taking program you want for the Mac.
 
They do have their own versions of Microsoft office 🙂 I've never had an issue opening word documents.
 
I ended up getting the Lenovo Yoga 13. The reviews when it originally came out sounded like there were some problems (poor wireless connectivity specifically), but it sounds like they have worked out the kinks at this point. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of convertible laptop/tablet computers coming out in the near future. The Lenovo Helix looked pretty sweet too, but it was more than I wanted to spend. I should be getting the yoga this week though. Hopefully I end up liking it.

That's the one I've been looking into getting. I might have to message you for a review once you've used it for a bit if that's ok? I wish I could convince myself to spend the money on the Helix, but its just too much
 
That's the one I've been looking into getting. I might have to message you for a review once you've used it for a bit if that's ok? I wish I could convince myself to spend the money on the Helix, but its just too much

Please do. It should be here on Wed. Send me a message whenever I can let you know how I like it.
 
I"ve been debating getting an iPad for classes. I used an ASUS laptop last year to take notes (OneNote) and had no issues, but I'm thinking I may like the drawing ability on the iPad which you can't get with a laptop. Does anyone know if I would be able to switch over all of my OneNote notebooks from my laptop to the iPad? (I believe Apple can run Microsoft Office now...)


The Apple Onenote app is worthless. I use Outline+ on my mini, which is worth every penny. Lets you open/edit/create new onenote files, sync them with your computer or dropbox, etc
 
What about Evernote?

Crashed way too frequently for my liking.
And I wanted to be able to continue using OneNote on my laptop and have everything sync. Didn't want to have to import everything into evernote and switch to using that exclusively. Outline+ lets you update files on either the ipad or onenote desktop and syncs it back and forth automatically. I couldn't get Evernote to do that.
 
Crashed way too frequently for my liking.
And I wanted to be able to continue using OneNote on my laptop and have everything sync. Didn't want to have to import everything into evernote and switch to using that exclusively. Outline+ lets you update files on either the ipad or onenote desktop and syncs it back and forth automatically. I couldn't get Evernote to do that.

Awesome, thanks 🙂
 
I like Open Office for all my document needs. It's free, and it works.

My phone is flirting with death - it's still working okay, but I'm not sure how well it will be doing a year from now. I like the idea of getting one of them big-ass tablet/phone things. Galaxy note III or some such? Anyone have one of these suckers? Would they be handy for taking notes in class, or would they just be a big phone?
 
I lucked out at Target last year. I can't for the life of me remember the brand, sorry. All I can say is that I tend to find the best calendars/planners in places I don't expect--interestingly, office supply stores (Office Depot, Staples, Office Max) have been the WORST for finding that kind of stuff. They're either cleaned out or they never have what you're looking for.

Good luck!

I also love Moleskine, but they aren't spiral-bound.

Target always has great ones! I'm totally dependent on my planner... And also quite picky. Go check out target!
 
Target always has great ones! I'm totally dependent on my planner... And also quite picky. Go check out target!

Target has awesome, cheap ones! Love their planners!

I just wanted to add that I spent over $200 on supplies for vet school and I pretty much use paper, highlighters, pencils, and pens. 🙄 Every once in a while I use a folder or two, but if you are like me, don't waste your money on insanely unnecessary stuff like I did.😡 Of course it completely depends on you and how you stay organized, etc. Just thought I'd share some hindsight 😎
 
anyone use the sharpie gel highlighters? i'm getting a little grumpy as the semester winds down at how quickly my highlighters are dying off (just the yellow ones)

so i bought some to play with this summer, and in annotating my notes for MARVET and RAVS, i've determined that these aren't the solution. the work well, the feel of them isn't too bad to get used to, but it quickly became evident that these aren't going to last longer (i'll use of the stick too fast). the hunt continues
 
Target has awesome, cheap ones! Love their planners!

I just wanted to add that I spent over $200 on supplies for vet school and I pretty much use paper, highlighters, pencils, and pens. 🙄 Every once in a while I use a folder or two, but if you are like me, don't waste your money on insanely unnecessary stuff like I did.😡 Of course it completely depends on you and how you stay organized, etc. Just thought I'd share some hindsight 😎

Can you elaborate a bit on what those unnecessary items were? I have this whole list mapped out, and I know I'm just going overboard.

What about binders? Dry erase boards? Those little sticky note page-marker things? It's like there's this office supply fantasy erupting in my head, and I need someone to tell me I'm over doing it. :laugh:
 
Can you elaborate a bit on what those unnecessary items were? I have this whole list mapped out, and I know I'm just going overboard.

What about binders? Dry erase boards? Those little sticky note page-marker things? It's like there's this office supply fantasy erupting in my head, and I need someone to tell me I'm over doing it. :laugh:

i <3 binders but some people at my school buy just plain rings (http://www.staples.com/Staples-Loos...t_481326?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:481326&KPID=481326) and use these with a sturdy cover sheet.

dry erase board 👍

sticky note page markers - i use them to separate my classes and also separate out test material (for non-cum classes)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you elaborate a bit on what those unnecessary items were? I have this whole list mapped out, and I know I'm just going overboard.

What about binders? Dry erase boards? Those little sticky note page-marker things? It's like there's this office supply fantasy erupting in my head, and I need someone to tell me I'm over doing it. :laugh:

I find those sticky page-markers to be completely useless. I have a ton of them that someone gave me in a package of school supplies. The only time I've ever used them was when I was writing a research paper on Beowulf . I used one color to mark the Old English passages I needed to reference and another color to mark the ones in modern English. That is the ONLY use I've ever found for them. I can't see much need for them in vet school. :shrug:
 
I use the sticky page marker thingies when I'm reading textbooks. One colour for where I left off and another for where I'm supposed to read to. Another colour marks important tables etc. that I want to be able to refer back to.
 
I find those sticky page-markers to be completely useless. I have a ton of them that someone gave me in a package of school supplies. The only time I've ever used them was when I was writing a research paper on Beowulf . I used one color to mark the Old English passages I needed to reference and another color to mark the ones in modern English. That is the ONLY use I've ever found for them. I can't see much need for them in vet school. :shrug:

I use post-it colored tabs a lot. I'll use them to mark diagrams or tables I want to come back to later, mark the begining of a chapter in my text book, things I know I need to review later, etc. Basically anything I'll want to refer to later. I also use them in my notes sometimes if I know there is a section that needs work, to mark the begining of a new section in my notes, etc. If you don't use them in undergrad, you probably won't use them in vet school. If you're unsure, get a pack or two and see if you end of needing them. If not, you didn't waste a ton of money.
 
What size external hard drive would everyone recommend? I want to be able to put all of the lecture videos on it, but don't really know how much that would be. Plus I have a lot of photos and video I want to keep too. 1TB? 2TB?

Or am I better getting seperate ones for school and personal things?
 
What size external hard drive would everyone recommend? I want to be able to put all of the lecture videos on it, but don't really know how much that would be. Plus I have a lot of photos and video I want to keep too. 1TB? 2TB?

Or am I better getting seperate ones for school and personal things?

I have 2. The first is my main backup and storage drive, is 1TB, and I have it divided into backup space and data storage. It isn't portable though, which is better for the backups but less convenient. That is why I also have a 500GB portable one that is fantastic for movies, music, videos, etc to take with my laptop on the go. I love both of my drives, super helpful.