"Supplies" For Vet School

Started by kaydubs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know of any others besides K-State that do that. Wouldn't doubt that there are, but I don't think it's a common thing.

Iowa State has a required laptop also, I'm like 95% sure?


I'm honestly glad I don't have to get a specific computer. I have a ~1 yr. old laptop that is perfect for what I need, was a large purchase at the time, and I didn't want to have to get another one that may not be exactly what I was wanting. When the one I have is through with its time (and hopefully that will be after I graduate anyway), I'd rather be able to get what I want, not what the school thinks I should get on my own.
 
Auburn has a required tablet computer that 1st years are charged for - included in tuition / fees.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can we talk about shoes? I don't know if this has been posted before but I need some shoe advice. I have awful feet and knees from years of ballet and if I'm not wearing the right shoes my feet tend to go numb and tingly. I usually wear dansko clogs when I'm working at the clinic but it seems like they've discontinued my favorite pair (professional clog in coated canvas - vegan). I tired a pair of Merrells the other day (http://www.zappos.com/merrell-encore-breeze-2-black) and they were okay. They're very comfy and soft but don't seem to have the support I'm used to with the danskos. I don't wear leather shoes. I don't mind reccomendations for leather shoes because I can usually find an alternative so lay it on me!

What shoes do you guys wear?
 
Can we talk about shoes? I don't know if this has been posted before but I need some shoe advice. I have awful feet and knees from years of ballet and if I'm not wearing the right shoes my feet tend to go numb and tingly. I usually wear dansko clogs when I'm working at the clinic but it seems like they've discontinued my favorite pair (professional clog in coated canvas - vegan). I tired a pair of Merrells the other day (http://www.zappos.com/merrell-encore-breeze-2-black) and they were okay. They're very comfy and soft but don't seem to have the support I'm used to with the danskos. I don't wear leather shoes. I don't mind reccomendations for leather shoes because I can usually find an alternative so lay it on me!

What shoes do you guys wear?

I have a lot of problems if I don't wear good shoes and I wear dansko clogs now. How about the Sanita clogs? Not sure if they come in vegan though. I need a lot of support in my shoes and they can't be flexible like sneakers. The only other pair of shoes that don't kill me are a pair of merrel hiking boots I have. But again, they are super solid and don't have much flex in them. I know I made a thread a while back about shoes, there were some good suggestions there, though I'm not sure if they'd be leather-free.

Here's the thread I had made before.

So much editing.

These are fun.

But if you want something less funky there's these too. - actually these might be the same ones you were talking about.
 
Last edited:
I have a lot of problems if I don't wear good shoes and I wear dansko clogs now. How about the Sanita clogs? Not sure if they come in vegan though. I need a lot of support in my shoes and they can't be flexible like sneakers. The only other pair of shoes that don't kill me are a pair of merrel hiking boots I have. But again, they are super solid and don't have much flex in them. I know I made a thread a while back about shoes, there were some good suggestions there, though I'm not sure if they'd be leather-free.

Here's the thread I had made before.

Thank you! I didn't realize there was an entire 'nother thread. I haven't tried Sanitas althought I have been checking them out (they do have a plain, black vegan clog). Are they very similar to danskos?

Edit: I realized I can't wear sneakers either. Glad I'm not the only one who needs something without flex! I thought I was weird.

Yup - those are the ones I've been wearing now for a few years. I think I bought the last pair of 38's available online in black 🙁 I might suck it up and get a patterned pair... I guess I could pretend to be fun for once.
 
Thank you! I didn't realize there was an entire 'nother thread. I haven't tried Sanitas althought I have been checking them out (they do have a plain, black vegan clog). Are they very similar to danskos?

Edit: I realized I can't wear sneakers either. Glad I'm not the only one who needs something without flex! I thought I was weird.

Yup - those are the ones I've been wearing now for a few years. I think I bought the last pair of 38's available online in black 🙁 I might suck it up and get a patterned pair... I guess I could pretend to be fun for once.

I think that Sanitas are owed by who Dansko used to be owned by? I remember reading something that complained that Dansko's are manufactured someplace crappy now and they aren't as good as they used to be, but now the same old company makes Sanitas. So they are super similar I think.
And yeah, I cannot wear any shoes with flex. It's kind of awful. I have horrendous shin splints and then my back is pretty crappy so if I don't wear good shoes I'm in super pain after a few hours. Now I can wear the Danskos all day and even after 10+ hours on my feet the only thing that hurts a little is that my feet are a smidge sore. And I can deal with that no problem.
 
They are basically the same shoes, for the most part. You should be fine.

We have a vegan in our class that has one ancient pair of leather danskos. She's had them forever and she just kinda shrugs and says, "They're already mine. I'll wear them until they disintegrate." I understand the premise behind vegan shoes and am glad they exist, but if it came down to crazy foot pain vs. one pair of shoes with a leather insole.... I dunno.
 
They are basically the same shoes, for the most part. You should be fine.

We have a vegan in our class that has one ancient pair of leather danskos. She's had them forever and she just kinda shrugs and says, "They're already mine. I'll wear them until they disintegrate." I understand the premise behind vegan shoes and am glad they exist, but if it came down to crazy foot pain vs. one pair of shoes with a leather insole.... I dunno.

I wore an ancient pair of leather danskos for a while too 🙂 I really like the vegan version though and they seem to hold up about the same as the regular ones. Fortunately, I haven't had to make the non-vegan shoes versus crazy foot pain decision yet. If anything, my shoes are now better quality than before I went vegan. I still buy my share of cheap-o old navy flats and the like but when it comes to "real" shoes, I find myself choosing things that are more expensive, but will last longer (mooshoes.com comes to mind).
 
Can we talk about shoes? I don't know if this has been posted before but I need some shoe advice. I have awful feet and knees from years of ballet and if I'm not wearing the right shoes my feet tend to go numb and tingly. I usually wear dansko clogs when I'm working at the clinic but it seems like they've discontinued my favorite pair (professional clog in coated canvas - vegan). I tired a pair of Merrells the other day (http://www.zappos.com/merrell-encore-breeze-2-black) and they were okay. They're very comfy and soft but don't seem to have the support I'm used to with the danskos. I don't wear leather shoes. I don't mind reccomendations for leather shoes because I can usually find an alternative so lay it on me!

What shoes do you guys wear?

Sore dawg insoles make any shoe feel amazing. They are stores in new england or on their website. I need a lot of support due to really bad knees and the purple insoles they make are the best ive found. (Plus, a local company originally started by students at my undergrad!)

My shoe choices alternate between merrells and LL bean slip ons. The beans are super ugly but very comfy, supportive and easy to clean. Ive got three pairs of merrells- hiking boot, sneaker and "barefoot" flat. They are comfy alone but with insoles i can stand around for days
 
Last edited:
Anyone tried Microsoft's Surface RT yet? I think I would rather go with the iPad, but know that some programs run much better on PC. The processor and speed are rated higher with surface than iPad, but battery life is lower.

there are about eight million outlets in the vet school so I wouldn't worry too much about being at school and having the battery run down. I don't know anything about surface but my iPad hasn't had a problem with anything I've asked it to do yet- including onenote and ppts. things do take up a lot of room on the small hard drive though. between texts and class notes just from third year I think I've used up about 25 of the 32gb.
 
there are about eight million outlets in the vet school so I wouldn't worry too much about being at school and having the battery run down. I don't know anything about surface but my iPad hasn't had a problem with anything I've asked it to do yet- including onenote and ppts. things do take up a lot of room on the small hard drive though. between texts and class notes just from third year I think I've used up about 25 of the 32gb.

I've been reading that the surface is excellent because it can run the full version of Windows 8 and has vast storage capabilities. I like that it has the built in kickstand and has hdmi and usb plug ins as well. Surface also lets you have multiple windows open to multitask, which I adore. Just gonna have to go play with them both.
 
I know you didn't ask about it, but I just got the samsung note 10.1 and I love it! The stylus makes my handwriting still legible and I'm excited to not have a ton of paper filled notebooks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just bought the Galaxy Note yesterday! 😍 Trying to coordinate contacts/email on Android, iOS and Windows 8 will be a task, but couldn't be happier with it so far. 😀
 
I know you didn't ask about it, but I just got the samsung note 10.1 and I love it! The stylus makes my handwriting still legible and I'm excited to not have a ton of paper filled notebooks.

Yeah, I thought about that one too. I am just really a mac kind of girl and would love to get the iPad, but had the thought that the Surface would be awesome to have a PC in the family. The samsung seems to be popular among a few peeps here I've noticed. Orca and I think EC just got one as well as you. Decisions decisions. I want to play with the surface to see if it is indeed as good a processor as its reviews have claimed.
 
Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital voice recorder? I'm looking for something small, that's just a recorder, mac compatable. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety available online!
 
Just bought the Galaxy Note yesterday! 😍 Trying to coordinate contacts/email on Android, iOS and Windows 8 will be a task, but couldn't be happier with it so far. 😀

Yeah, I thought about that one too. I am just really a mac kind of girl and would love to get the iPad, but had the thought that the Surface would be awesome to have a PC in the family. The samsung seems to be popular among a few peeps here I've noticed. Orca and I think EC just got one as well as you. Decisions decisions. I want to play with the surface to see if it is indeed as good a processor as its reviews have claimed.

I did! And I also have all three systems: iPhone, Windows 7 laptop, and Android tablet. :laugh:
 
Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital voice recorder? I'm looking for something small, that's just a recorder, mac compatable. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety available online!

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666554868

i have either the current or previous version of this. i dont have a mac, but the girl who sits next to me (with the same one) does and its completely compatible with her comp. the battery life on this is pretty excellent, when i was using it 4 hrs daily x5 days i got the whole week out of it before needing to recharge. i have a microSD card for it that i share between it and my phone since i'm not using them concurrently (phone in US, recorder in GND).

the single best piece of advice i can give you is to get something rechargeable otherwise your thing will eat batteries like candy. i have a couple of classmates with things that use the separate rechargeable batteries and they always seem to have issues (but it really could just be their personalities) so i have really liked being able to just plug into my computer directly to recharge
 
Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital voice recorder? I'm looking for something small, that's just a recorder, mac compatable. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety available online!

All of the lectures at Davis are recorded and podcasted via iTunes, so there really isn't a need for a recorder (if you are asking in order to record lectures).
 
So what did you go with for a case for the note? I like the smart cover, but I'm trying to decide if I want something more or not....

I got the belkin one with the keyboard. I think it's more versatile that way--I can have a keyboard right there in case I need it and not have to worry about fiddling with it and plugging it in. Flip the switch to on and it's good to go! It's just plain black, which means I'll probably paint the outside at some point over the summer.
 
Anyone tried Microsoft's Surface RT yet? I think I would rather go with the iPad, but know that some programs run much better on PC. The processor and speed are rated higher with surface than iPad, but battery life is lower.

I've never had an issue with the ipad's battery before. I usually charge it overnight and it lasts all day... through my using it at work, then at school, then when I get home my husband does crossword puzzles on it. I have the 64GB and also haven't had any issues with storage (although I always back up to Dropbox as well).
 
Thanks for the voice recorder advice!

All of the lectures at Davis are recorded and podcasted via iTunes, so there really isn't a need for a recorder (if you are asking in order to record lectures).

I was mostly thinking about lectures, yeah. Is it really every lecture? I had heard that each professor could decide whether or not to record lectures. This is good to know, thanks!
 
So what did you go with for a case for the note? I like the smart cover, but I'm trying to decide if I want something more or not....

I just got like a $7 case off Amazon for mine because I liked the color and I've been pretty satisfied with it. The fit has gotten a bit loser since I bought it, but eh. I had been looking for one with a keyboard but at the time I couldn't really find one that I liked and was at a reasonable price.
 
I just got like a $7 case off Amazon for mine because I liked the color and I've been pretty satisfied with it. The fit has gotten a bit loser since I bought it, but eh. I had been looking for one with a keyboard but at the time I couldn't really find one that I liked and was at a reasonable price.

I got the Galaxy Note 10.1 off of your and several other friends' recommendations. I have been playing with it now, and I can't figure out how to save PDFs that I download to dropbox from my computer so I can import them to S Note. Am I being silly or am I missing something?
 
Yeah, I thought about that one too. I am just really a mac kind of girl and would love to get the iPad, but had the thought that the Surface would be awesome to have a PC in the family. The samsung seems to be popular among a few peeps here I've noticed. Orca and I think EC just got one as well as you. Decisions decisions. I want to play with the surface to see if it is indeed as good a processor as its reviews have claimed.

I love my iPad, but I moved away from taking notes on it relatively quickly - not necessarily because of the iPad being bad for note-taking, but I found that I preferred jotting notes on the hard-copy powerpoints notes we're given.

Like felinelvr, I've had no issues with the battery life - I charge to 100% and use it til it dies before charging again (per the Apple store person's advice).
 
I'm going to ask this here too. What do you carry to class. I wanted a nice leather tote but now I'm leaning towards a Lands End Canvas tote.

Also I need light weight shoes. How imperative is it that they're waterproof? I have horrible ankles and heavy shoes irritate them as we'll as elevated shoes. I really worry about the height on the clogs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a Vera Bradley tote I use sometimes, but I mainly used my super obnoxiously colored North Face Borealis backpack. It's a little smaller of a backpack than I'm used to, but I loved the color and thought it would teach me to pack a little lighter. Never really had an issue fitting things into it and I wanted something that was fairly waterproof since I have like a 20 minute walk to the vet school everyday.




And in regards to the Galaxy Note 10.1 and importing PDFs from Dropbox to S Note, I haven't found a way to do it directly (so maybe I'm also being stupid and missing it) but I open the document from Dropbox first and then it will appear in myfiles (or whatever it's called) for you to import into S Note. It takes an extra second, but it works.
 
This is my backpack and I luff it.

dakine-prom-backpack-crochet.jpg


http://www.amazon.com/Dakine-25-Litre-Prom-Crochet-9-Inch/dp/B006NCP0KY

It's made with recycled bottles, too.
 
Nice bag, TT! I need to resist buying a pretty new one.....


Does anyone know....when you print to pdf....how do you keep it searchable? I'd like to keep everything organized in OneNote as well, but searching is always messed up when printing into programs I find. Just curious if anyone has a specific program or way of doing this?
 
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what textbooks to buy. The second and third years sent out a list of what they recommend but it's conflicting. There's three books I'm debating buying: Pasquini, Dyce, and Duke's Physiology. There was an even split for and against buying all three of them except Pasquini. 78% of second years said don't get it.

We have access to all the books in our classroom. I do like to read textbooks to study but if I don't have time it's not a huge deal. I'm just trying to figure out what I need and see where I can save some money. Thanks!
 
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what textbooks to buy. The second and third years sent out a list of what they recommend but it's conflicting. There's three books I'm debating buying: Pasquini, Dyce, and Duke's Physiology. There was an even split for and against buying all three of them except Pasquini. 78% of second years said don't get it.

We have access to all the books in our classroom. I do like to read textbooks to study but if I don't have time it's not a huge deal. I'm just trying to figure out what I need and see where I can save some money. Thanks!

It might be different at your school, but I didn't use Dyce a whole lot, although I probably should have. That being said, I'm glad I have it if I want to look something up. No idea about the Phys book and I've heard that a lot of people actually like Pasquini for anatomy over Dyce. Haven't used the Pasquini book though.
 
It might be different at your school, but I didn't use Dyce a whole lot, although I probably should have. That being said, I'm glad I have it if I want to look something up. No idea about the Phys book and I've heard that a lot of people actually like Pasquini for anatomy over Dyce. Haven't used the Pasquini book though.

Apparently there's required readings from Dyce and the prof takes test questions from it. The second years still said don't buy it just use the class copy. They said Pasquini is a better use of money but even then only half of the class recommended buying it.
 
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what textbooks to buy. The second and third years sent out a list of what they recommend but it's conflicting. There's three books I'm debating buying: Pasquini, Dyce, and Duke's Physiology. There was an even split for and against buying all three of them except Pasquini. 78% of second years said don't get it.

We have access to all the books in our classroom. I do like to read textbooks to study but if I don't have time it's not a huge deal. I'm just trying to figure out what I need and see where I can save some money. Thanks!

i liked the pasquini books, butttt he was also our anatomy professor. so that probably changes things a bit 😉 never used dyce, found that to be completely worthless for our curriculum. we used a different physio book but i also found it to be completely useless. it was much better to go through the class notes and ask the professor questions.

one thing to think about is that your library has copies of these books. unless you a hard core textbook needer going into vet school, chances are you aren't going to use them much if at all.

i love my pasquini dissection guide for anatomy. i use that as a reference book ALL the time even going into 3rd year. thats a book i wont ever be without in school!
 
I've been looking at those too. Just wish they came in women's sizing. Part of the reason why I like the flightsuit design is the velcro adjustment at the waist so it's a least a tiny bit more flattering. But then I suppose no one ever looks good in coveralls, no matter how hard they try. :laugh:
 
I've been looking at those too. Just wish they came in women's sizing. Part of the reason why I like the flightsuit design is the velcro adjustment at the waist so it's a least a tiny bit more flattering. But then I suppose no one ever looks good in coveralls, no matter how hard they try. :laugh:

I'm pretty small and was pleasantly surprised by how "good" they looked on. There is elastic at the waist if I remember correctly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not easy to palpate a cow in long sleeves. :laugh:

Those coveralls/boiler suites/overalls/whatever you call them (at least here) are not worn when palpating cattle... that is what waterproofs are for, and even those are long sleeve, you just roll the sleeve up, or take the water proof top off and put on a poncho like thing and the long glove. I don't think I have seen a single vet out at the dairy farm wearing coveralls/boiler suit. Here, the boiler suits are for working with the horses.