SURF program at University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kjames8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a SURF program at University of Cincinnati or Cincinnati's Children's Hospital? I am curious to know if it is competitive and what are my stakes if I already mentioned in my application that I have a researcher that will commit to being my mentor over the summer. I really want this internship but I keep second guessing myself and sell myself short.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done a SURF program at University of Cincinnati or Cincinnati's Children's Hospital? I am curious to know if it is competitive and what are my stakes if I already mentioned in my application that I have a researcher that will commit to being my mentor over the summer. I really want this internship but I keep second guessing myself and sell myself short.
Pm me!

It's competitive. Lots of applicants every year. Having the researcher commit to you helps a lot definitely as I believe they send unsponsored applications to applicants' 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. choice labs to see whether the PIs have an interest. You already have someone interested, which helps a lot, assuming that that lab is involved in the summer program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing program. If you have a PI to sponsor you, you'll get in. Don't second-guess yourself, no one in the program has any idea what they are doing.

It's competitive. Lots of applicants every year. Having the researcher commit to you helps a lot definitely as I believe they send unsponsored applications to applicants' 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. choice labs to see whether the PIs have an interest. You already have someone interested, which helps a lot, assuming that that lab is involved in the summer program.
Thank you! I got an email today from the Co-director of the Graduate Education (which I want to do my fellowship with the Graduate Education programs and Director of Pipeline Programs. She was telling me how she saw that I was applying to the SURF and invited me to Biomedical Research Day. The program director and program representatives will also be there. When applying to SURF do they always send these emails out to all applicants?

Thank you! I got an email today from the Co-director of the Graduate Education (which I want to do my fellowship with the Graduate Education programs and Director of Pipeline Programs. She was telling me how she saw that I was applying to the SURF and invited me to Biomedical Research Day. The program director and program representatives will also be there. When applying to SURF do they always send these emails out to all applicants?

I never received an email like what you described from the program.

However, the offer email did come from people with those job titles.

Just an update: I got Accepted into the program at Cincinnati’s Children Hospital Medical Center!!

Reactions: 1 user