surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariel winter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all! does anyone know which states permit ODs to perform minor surgery? i think i've heard that OK does... anywhere else for minor surgery by ODs? i was just wondering this as this may be an interest for me in the future. also, is allowing ODs to perform surgery a growing trend? is it reasonable/realistic to think that ODs will be able to perform minor surgery in all or most states in the near future (ie: 5-15 years)?

thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I feel a OD vs Opth war coming on.... As for the surgery stuff, I think OK is the only state where OD's do any kind of surgery.

I tend to side with opthamologists on this one. If you want to do surgery, I think you should go to med school and be an opthalmologist. But I know there are people on this board who disagree.

thanks for the reply! yeah, i knew i would start a OD vs. Opth war... sorry, my bad. this is not the point of this post. i understand that if i want surgery i should go into medicine (i know this because my brother is in med school). however, it must be noted that surgery is not my PRIMARY concern... primary care is (even if that does mean doing refractions all day, although i know this is not the case). all i'm suggesting is that i DO have SOME interest in minor surgery and it would certainly be something i would look into when the time is right. i was just wondering where i may be able to find some info on this. sorry if it seems i was trying to start a flame war or something. anyhow, any additional info would be greatly appreciated! :love:

eyestrain said:
I feel a OD vs Opth war coming on.... As for the surgery stuff, I think OK is the only state where OD's do any kind of surgery.

I tend to side with opthamologists on this one. If you want to do surgery, I think you should go to med school and be an opthalmologist. But I know there are people on this board who disagree.

Members don't see this ad :)
ariel winter said:
thanks for the reply! yeah, i knew i would start a OD vs. Opth war... sorry, my bad. this is not the point of this post. i understand that if i want surgery i should go into medicine (i know this because my brother is in med school). however, it must be noted that surgery is not my PRIMARY concern... primary care is (even if that does mean doing refractions all day, although i know this is not the case). all i'm suggesting is that i DO have SOME interest in minor surgery and it would certainly be something i would look into when the time is right. i was just wondering where i may be able to find some info on this. sorry if it seems i was trying to start a flame war or something. anyhow, any additional info would be greatly appreciated! :love:

SEE HERE:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=66427
scroll down to "Can optometrists do minor surgeries, laser surgeries, or intraocular surgeries?"
but ill copy and paste anyway:
Can optometrists do minor surgeries, laser surgeries, or intraocular surgeries?
In 49 of 50 states, it is illegal for optometrists to do any of the above. In Oklahoma, because of aggressive optometry lobbying, optometrists (OD) may perform some laser procedures. A recent OK bill will permit OK optometrists to become ophthalmologists with the Optometry Board deciding which surgeries can and cannot be done. In the VA, OK optometrists were performing laser procedures and minor surgeries on veterans.

be sure you dont miss the "For additional threads discussing this issue" section of the link above.

In addition,
If you go to the Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons forum
Here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47
There is a discussion about this issue in the 2nd sticky thread, entitled:
"Do you support Optometrists doing surgery? - ODs allowed to do scalpel surgery in OK! "

Anyone know of other states permitting ODs to perform minor Sx??

jchod said:
Anyone know of other states permitting ODs to perform minor Sx??

Before you ask this question, do you know what you mean by minor surgery? Is an SLT minor since it's not invasive? Are corneal FB removal and punctal irrigation minor even though they are invasive?

Ariel, for your question, the general trend in optometry is scope expansion and not retraction. NC just passed a minor surgery bill (non-laser, I believe).

But as my best college prof asked me once, "The question isn't whether you can, it's whether you should." Does having optometrists incise hordeolums and snip off papillomas really serve a major public interest? In states with limited access to medical care like OK and rural NC, I would say it does. Here in Missouri, and in most states east of the Mississippi and on the West Coast, I'd argue that it doesn't.

My two cents.

agreed. thanks for the info. much appreciated. :)

Tom_Stickel said:
Before you ask this question, do you know what you mean by minor surgery? Is an SLT minor since it's not invasive? Are corneal FB removal and punctal irrigation minor even though they are invasive?

Ariel, for your question, the general trend in optometry is scope expansion and not retraction. NC just passed a minor surgery bill (non-laser, I believe).

But as my best college prof asked me once, "The question isn't whether you can, it's whether you should." Does having optometrists incise hordeolums and snip off papillomas really serve a major public interest? In states with limited access to medical care like OK and rural NC, I would say it does. Here in Missouri, and in most states east of the Mississippi and on the West Coast, I'd argue that it doesn't.

My two cents.

Tom_Stickel said:

My two cents.

Okay, in what states do ODs incise a chalazion, snip a papilloma, or a puncta, do a yag or an ALT?? In OK I know they do, (as well as PRK) and in Oregon they can do chalazions and papillomas, the the small non-invasive stuff. Non-invasive being defined as non-penetrating to the globe and not requiring closure with stiches. Now, does anyone know of anywhere else defining thier scope similarly?