Surprise reactions to "you wont find a job" warning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Derm is changing - how about the proliferation of DO residency programs? Is this a good thing? Is derm in control of this? It's changing the field.

There is a discussion about this over on the Derm forum. Some of the DO residencies are privately funded. If they are not up to par with standards, they likely won't be approved under the new joint ACGME/AOA governing body.

Most Derm programs are small. The current AOA Derm residencies are even smaller. To my knowledge, there are no Miami/NYU/downstate type AOA residency programs (meaning more than 20 residents in the program).

Manhattan is my only reference, but my seniors have interviewed and discussed multiple offers here in the city for Derm positions. If NYC is a tough market, places like Indiana must be begging Derms to come there to work.

Big picture is that Derm seems to have some room to add more to the ranks. I just hope it doesn't go too far in the wrong direction.

In terms of PCP gatekeepers, I think it's an education issue (as alluded to by Dermviser). Unless training drastically changes, only primary care practioners with an inherent interest in Derm will bother to learn it adequately enough to practice it. Good, I actually enjoy seeing my acne patients tbh.

Members don't see this ad.

Very true (other specialties dropping theirs to join path). In my residency there were 3-4 who had quit some other field to join path. During training we had one who quit to do something else. In my practice one of my partners bailed on another field in favor of path.

As far as lifestyle, I met a few new practicing paths who had what sounded like fairly abusive work schedules/hours. Like 70 hours a week. One who hadn't taken vacation since she started last July. Others who come in every weekend or stay until 8 pm. It's not everyone, but it's some. Oddly enough the more abusive practices seem to be more likely to be academic, although certainly not limited to that. The private practices may "abuse" you financial by not paying you well but perhaps not as common for the actual hours and workload. This is part of the reason that so many young physicians (not just paths) change jobs in the first few years.

Very true (other specialties dropping theirs to join path). In my residency there were 3-4 who had quit some other field to join path.

My residency has had 21 residents during my time here thus far. Only 1 came from another specialty, while 1 other left path to go to anther specialty. Two others dropped medicine altogether, and another 4 tell me they would like to do that too, but don't know how they'd otherwise pay off their student loans.

Just throwing that out there to balance out your experience. :)