SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE, AMCAS: SEND OUT PAPER APPLICATIONS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
AMCAS is confident med schools will receive applications on the 15th of july??? what the hell does that mean?? my premed advisor said that in early june AMCAS considered sending out paper applications because they were having problems with the application. well it's not too late. with every student having difficulty submitting, and an unthinkable number of problems that lay ahead when they try to submit to med schools, why not just send out paper applications? who loses? if the website starts to work perfectly then there will be no need to submit by paper. but i'll tell you right now, if i had a paper applciation i'd use it. so seriously, please, let's just get some paper apps out! i e-mailed amcas, and i think that you should too! the beauty is that if they rush out a paper app and it has problems, it is not difficult to work around them because it's done by hand. not to mention, i'll bet you we'll get paper apps in before they'll get their apps to the medschools! e-mail them. enough is enough. it did not work, let's move on and not turn an ugly situation to a--super ugly situation. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Have any of you ever filled out AMCAS's idea of a paper application? I'm not sure which was more painful... And what of the people who have already submitted their applications? :confused:

Andrew

You know what that means?!!! .... This year, there's no such thing as applying late....

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be nice if we could just print out our web applications and send them directly to the med schools. I'm partly tempted... :p

Hey this late AMCAS thing is nice for those taking August MCATs, no?

This is just my opinion, but I don't see the medical schools postponing deadlines because of the people eager to get their app in early. I spoke to one of the people in admissions at my school and he said that things should be fine for students since applicants have until October 15th. I don't think a prospective doctor should take four months to fill out an application. It just means the ad comms have to wait a little longer to start getting apps. I can't see this affecting them in many other ways on their end.

Andrew

Originally posted by ajr:
•This is just my opinion, but I don't see the medical schools postponing deadlines because of the people eager to get their app in early. I spoke to one of the people in admissions at my school and he said that things should be fine for students since applicants have until October 15th. I don't think a prospective doctor should take four months to fill out an application. It just means the ad comms have to wait a little longer to start getting apps. I can't see this affecting them in many other ways on their end.

Andrew•

Andrew,

You are assuming that the AMCAS software that the med schools use is completely bug free and will not have any problems with the new AMCAS applicaiton format.

If that is indeed the case, then the schools will be damn lucky.

Im actually not assuming anything. The deadline is still October 15th, until something changes. I wouldn't think people would want to plan on a change, if in fact it might not happen. It might be more of a problem if people are assuming that it's okay for their application to have misspellings, or be late, or that the August MCAT isn't going to be a cause of concern. The only thing I would assume is that no matter how inept AMCAS is, I should promptly submit the best application possible. Everyone has to do it the same way, so we're all in the same boat.

Andrew

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Andrew,

You are assuming that the AMCAS software that the med schools use is completely bug free and will not have any problems with the new AMCAS applicaiton format.

If that is indeed the case, then the schools will be damn lucky.•

AJR, for those applying EDP the deadline is August 1! that is less than a month!! no we are not all in the same boat.

this sucks.

Originally posted by ajr:
•Im actually not assuming anything. The deadline is still October 15th, until something changes. I wouldn't think people would want to plan on a change, if in fact it might not happen. It might be more of a problem if people are assuming that it's okay for their application to have misspellings, or be late, or that the August MCAT isn't going to be a cause of concern. The only thing I would assume is that no matter how inept AMCAS is, I should promptly submit the best application possible. Everyone has to do it the same way, so we're all in the same boat.

Andrew

Originally posted by baylor21:
[qb]Andrew,

If that is indeed the case, then the schools will be damn lucky.•
[/QB]

I was referring to specifically what happens in the process once the med schools get all of the applications.

Its very possible that there might be bugs in the med school software which will mean it will take longer for the med schools to screen and evaluate the apps once they are downloaded from AMCAS.

Hi guys,
I posted this on another thread -- thought you'd might like to see some of the history of the organization you unfortunately have to deal with. :)

These problems with AMCAS brings back some memories. It reminds me of when I applied to med school. I actually applied the first year that AMCAS TRIED to offer the program to allow applicants to fill out the application over the computer. The annoying thing about that year was that they were telling all of us to wait to do our applications until the program became available -- but due to lots of bugs, etc, they kept on pushing their release date back every couple of weeks. They ended up not being able to get their act together to distribute the program until August of that year! :rolleyes:
Most of us got sick of waiting for the brilliant AMCAS computer programmers, so by July we all just did them on the typewriters, just as our predecessors had done. :) The paper application was quite a pain, and very time-consuming, though! (But at least we were allowed to do them as an alternative to the computer program)

You folks might just end up doing a paper application.... :(

bite your tongue popoy!

After all of the hours since May on this damned internet application it better be all I have to do to get my primary in.

later

Also, I read in NY times today that AMCAS has received HALF as many applications as last year.
HALF? I think that's more than I expected.
I just checked with my adviser today and he said only 7 people (out of 200) finished AMCAS.
I am ready to submit now, but I am still debating after hearing about all these transaction errors.