Switching from Pre-Pharm to Pre-Med and looking for advice to be competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this upcoming summer I was going to apply for pharmacy school with 90+ credit hours (enough to become a senior) with a 3.6 cGPA, 3.75 Pre-Req GPA, and a 3.8 math/science GPA. I've taken the PCAT last summer and got a solid 90. Aside from giving you information that you otherwise do not care about...if I were to stay my senior year and obtain a bachelors degree (BS Biology) then my overall GPA would boost up to a 3.7-3.75 (assuming I get more A's then B's with 130 credit hours). I've skimmed through some of the MCAT practice questions and believe it or not, the questions on the MCAT requires intense critical thinking and appears way HARDER to me...it's not generalized like the PCAT on where they would ask you what type of enzyme is needed to breakdown milk sugar lactose, or have you solve a polynomial equation on the math section.

I've already taken organic chemistry (got A's in both, I love reaction mechanisms so much) and all pre-pharmacy requisites, I just need to take biochemistry, genetics and other junior/senior upper division science electives required for my biology degree.

On the other hand, my problem is that I don't have any experience whatsoever inside of a hospital, medical office, clinic, etc. Hell, I've never even shadowed a physician before and I'm in the middle of my junior year! I would love to find a hospital job that isn't pharmacy related, but nowadays it's hard to find a hospital job without someone on the inside helping you to get in. I come from a family of no medical experience-related friends so it's tough to actually go up to a physician and say Hi, my name is Nguyen, I'm studying so and so, can I shadow you sometimes? (Without being rejected afterwards)

I currently volunteer as a pharmacy technician in a health clinic and work as a pharmacy technician at a retail store and the work is just boring. Many pre-pharmers I know that work with me are older then me and they changed paths. One got accepted into medical school with a 3.9 GPA and a 40 MCAT. The other just quit our pharmacy because she got offered a job position at her volunteer dental clinic (Pre-Dental student now). I'm also a volunteer at the american red cross and we attend events to keep a lookout on people that need our assistance. It's kind of cool, the experience to perform CPR (not mouth to mouth, unless it was a hot chick with or without a disease-LOL), and assist in first aid to those that need it. It's sure as hell a lot of a better feeling then fixing an insurance DUR reject claim to have prescriptions filled (as a pharmacy technician of course).

My dream is to become an allergist...Many pharmacists that I work with are always saying that they should have gone to this school and that school to become such and such instead of pharmacy. One pharmacist even said he wanted to become an orthodontist and should have gone to dental school. He always seem so angry when I look at him. This guy hardly smiles to be honest. It makes me wonder if I do become a pharmacist, I'll probably end up like him-saying I should have gone to medical school to become an allergist/medical immunologist.

Any advice on how I can nail a job shadow this upcoming summer? Preferably a job shadow with an allergist would be a bonus for me because the subject is just so interesting (loved microbiology).

Otherwise you can just tell me to shut the **** up and stick to pharmacy so you physicians can treat me like garbage in the future. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Finding a doctor to shadow: Try family, friends, acquaintances to see if anyone knows an allergist, contact departments of hospitals to see if they have formal procedures for shadowing, contact private practice allergists and ask them (they may be more receptive that hospital faculty because of institutional regulations about visitors/observers. Also, this may be obvious, but if have a personal allergist, ask him/her.