Sydney notification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackts

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has phoned the admission office about the acceptance/rejection notification.

They told me that i'll find out before oct 31, but it's Nov 3rd already....what's going on?

I'm in touch with two other SDN members and they haven't been notified by Sydney as well.

jack

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jackts
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has phoned the admission office about the acceptance/rejection notification.

They told me that i'll find out before oct 31, but it's Nov 3rd already....what's going on?

I'm in touch with two other SDN members and they haven't been notified by Sydney as well.

jack

Relax its exam time here...maybe they are busy marking papers or something. ;)

I was verbally told the same thing (end of October), but the site says Nov. 7 (end of the week).

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here---haven't heard, but was told I would know by the end of Oct. at my interview. Maybe redshift is right and they are swamped. Hopefully we'll hear by the end of this week.

Is notification via email as well as mail? Or are we subject to snail mail only? Incredibly stressful right now.

If your email address is correct in their files (ie, you've gotten **** from them through email before) then yeah, they'll email you at the same time they send out your mail notification. At least, that's what they did for me. I find that in general, they are faster with email than they are with anything else. I've called a bunch of times and I never got calls back, but they'd send me an email in regards to whatever I called about.

This here is the Aussie Twilight Zone thread.

Last stop..Sydney.

All angst and anxiety converge here.

All prior decisions are tentative..None may pass.

Welcome and take a number.

Pretty funny pitman. Very sad and true, but funny.

At least happy hour is soon. . .

On another forum, a couple of local applicants claimed to have received offers from USyd today. Must be getting close.

So, Nov. 7 is here, and still no notification. Anyone else in the same boat, and frustrated?

Hmm... strange people like places that don't seem to like them back as much :). I guess it's just human.

Good luck to everyone. Hope you guys get in... but don't be overly disappointed otherwise, because I really think that it's usually their loss for losing a good and capable student (unless you think otherwise about yourself).

I haven't heard either, so I emailed yesterday (which was Friday there), but I don't expect a response until Sunday (our time). It'd be a shame if their policy is merely to blow off candidates they don't want -- would reflect pretty badly on the school.

One thought -- don't we all have late interviews (Oct.+) in common?

-pitman

Flindophile speaks the truth. Academia is typically far from efficient anywhere and the Aussies are no different - well, except that its worse.

Don't expect to send an email on a Friday and get a response back on the weekend. Ain't gonna happen.

Things work slower, they don't understand our anxiety over it and its just not as consumer oriented as the US - this is true for many things in Australia (don't get me started on the almost always lousy service you get in restaurants and shops).

Get used to it...it will continue for 4 years and pushing them doesn't help any. Pushy Americans. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimberli, I'd agree with your general observation about Australians, from what I've heard and the little I've seen while visiting the country.

But, marketing is marketing. The schools do currently compete with each other in their own ways. For example, Flinders I think does an excellent job at the "front door" -- Tony (dir. of admissions) choosing to be the int'l applicant liaison is extremely time-consuming (and expensive) yet adds a personal touch and helps assure QC in communications. Flinders also has a rolling admissions policy to try to snag the better students. UQ requires a HUGE, early deposit that effectively locks in its students with interesting timing. USyd effectively has rolling admissions, and interesting maneuverings vis-a-vis the ACER ranking/matching system.

The more laid back and less-competitive nature may be characteristic of Australians in general, but the very intelligent *deans* of the schools all have their own methods/policies (and probably mandate) to attract better students. Whether the tactics or chain of command are effective is another matter.

If a school breaks a promise, such as an interview date, or the date to expect to hear back, then this unrectified reflects negatively on the school, and can give rise to questions of what to expect once in the school, RELATIVE to the other schools. Now, "front door" behavior could be illusory, but the deans are smart enough to understand that such behavior can have an effect on an applicant's perception of the school relative to the other schools, raising the additional question of whether they care about applicants'/students' perceptions. If they do, what are the reasons for the front-door behavior (new school, swamped with apps., incompetence, etc.), and if not, and assuming not just with applicants they don't intend to reject, then why choose to potentially stab themselves in the foot by filtering out students who are concerned with such matters.

It's not the end of the world if an admissions office appears to be disorganized or worse. Many applicants don't care all that much and don't make any connection between admissions and school administration or to their expectations as students over the next 3-4 years. But, to *some* degree, most do (`all else being equal between school X and Y...`), which means the "why?" is still a valid concern, even if the impact is only infinitessimal compared to other potential decision factors such as location/image of the school, res placement stats, and cost.

So, in my somewhat typical fashion...this all matters only to the extent that concern for the implications is able to sway one's decision one way or another. No more, no less.

-pitman

Kimberli -- i didn't mean to suggest that i expected a response on the weekend, but Monday workday there is Sunday here (E. coast).

pitman...

sorry if I mislead you with my beliefs/concerns, etc. While I DO believe that academia is inherently less organized than the typical business world, and that Aussies are even less concerned with such conventions, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree that changing interview dates without notifying candidates, not responding to emails properly, etc. is outside the bounds of organization and is unprofessional and, since you note that they are in the business of making money, cash foolish.

Perhaps I misread the earlier threads - I didn't realize we were talking about some of the aggregious problems the candidates are facing but rather thought we were talking about day to day frustrations with the Aussie schools.

It's not the end of the world if an admissions office appears to be disorganized or worse. Many applicants don't care all that much and don't make any connection between admissions and school administration or to their expectations as students over the next 3-4 years. But, to *some* degree, most do (`all else being equal between school X and Y...`), which means the "why?" is still a valid concern, even if the impact is only infinitessimal compared to other potential decision factors such as location/image of the school, res placement stats, and cost.

So, in my somewhat typical fashion...this all matters only to the extent that concern for the implications is able to sway one's decision one way or another. No more, no less.

-pitman [/B]

Pitman, I totally agree with the concerns you've raised. I've applied to McMaster University in Canada and I have to say that the lady that directs the admissions office has not only been downright rude via e-mail, but also failed to return a very important message. If I end up going somewhere else, I'm already thinking about writing a professional letter to the dean, with copies of these e-mails, so that he is made aware of this. The ?front line? plays a pivotal role in how the school is perceived.

I think that their curriculum looks great and I understand that they have over 4000 applications for 140 places which keeps them busy, but this experience has raised genuine questions in my mind as to the kind of treatment I might receive if I matriculate there. Since I?m lucky to have other options, even at this early stage, this is a serious red flag raised for McMaster University and it's sad to think that it may be due to one careless employee in their administration office, rather than a reflection of them as a school.

Since their tuition is not cheap, it makes me think that they place little value in the applicant. I'm thick-skinned and this has been my consistent impression with them. Has anyone else experienced this with McMaster?

Pitman--

To respond to an earlier comment...I interviewed early and still haven't heard anything. My interview was in mid-Sept., the first time they came to the US. The only thing I can think of is that I moved and there is a letter waiting for me one way or the other at my old apartment. However, I have the same email address and notified them several times about my address change. We'll see. Just to let you know, I think most people haven't heard, regardless of interview time.

Same here, I interviewed early, and haven't heard anything.

jack

Originally posted by Jatpot
Pitman--

To respond to an earlier comment...I interviewed early and still haven't heard anything. My interview was in mid-Sept., the first time they came to the US. The only thing I can think of is that I moved and there is a letter waiting for me one way or the other at my old apartment. However, I have the same email address and notified them several times about my address change. We'll see. Just to let you know, I think most people haven't heard, regardless of interview time.

Sounds like USyd applicants are in the same boat as me. However, in the reference to efficiency of email response, while ANU has been less than satisfying, ACER on the other hand, has been relatively good about it.

Hope you guys hear something soon. I hope I do too.

--laters!

AND pitman: thanks for the insight...I agree, if a school makes some kind of promise, via email, word of mouth, or whatnot, its an agreement that should without fail be honored.

Guess we'll just have to wait.

Originally posted by Scottish Chap
Pitman, I totally agree with the concerns you've raised. I've applied to McMaster University in Canada and I have to say that the lady that directs the admissions office has not only been downright rude via e-mail, but also failed to return a very important message. If I end up going somewhere else, I'm already thinking about writing a professional letter to the dean, with copies of these e-mails, so that he is made aware of this. The ?front line? plays a pivotal role in how the school is perceived.

I think that their curriculum looks great and I understand that they have over 4000 applications for 140 places which keeps them busy, but this experience has raised genuine questions in my mind as to the kind of treatment I might receive if I matriculate there. Since I?m lucky to have other options, even at this early stage, this is a serious red flag raised for McMaster University and it's sad to think that it may be due to one careless employee in their administration office, rather than a reflection of them as a school.

Since their tuition is not cheap, it makes me think that they place little value in the applicant. I'm thick-skinned and this has been my consistent impression with them. Has anyone else experienced this with McMaster?

- totally...and when I applied to McMaster it was through the OUAC service and for undergraduate courses...but they were pretty rude on the phone.

- Scottish Chap if you don't mind my asking what are your other options?

Guys,

I think you should just relax for a second. Remember we may be financing these unis but their main concern is still local/current students.

They are busy right now with the school leavers and the exams. Dont' worry I'm sure they will get to you soon.

- Scottish Chap if you don't mind my asking what are your other options? [/B][/QUOTE]

Redshifteffect, it's nice to meet you again....and in a different forum! My other option is the 4-year accelerated GEP medical programme in the U.K. This is consistent with my citizenship and educational background. I have been in touch with several schools and they say I have a very competitive application and that they wouild welcome one; of course many others do also!! Nonetheless, this would be much easier for me than trying to enter McMaster as an international and around 1/15 of the cost in tuition. Man, McMaster?s attitude (specifically one person in their admissions office) has really warped my perception of them. Pitman, sorry if I've altered the focus of your questions in this thread. I feel a bit bad about that.

Originally posted by redshifteffect

They are busy right now with the school leavers and the exams. Dont' worry I'm sure they will get to you soon.

Yeah, but one small problem, Red -- anyone considering UQ as a backup has to deliver $10K by the end of next week. There are other time constraints some of these ppl have I'm sure. Nonetheless, where other school(s) are an option, one has to weigh/wonder...

-pitman

Pitman, sorry if I've altered the focus of your questions in this thread. I feel a bit bad about that. [/B]

What a d*ck! :p

No, this seems like as good a place as any to moan about bad admissions dept. behavior. I've more stories about the schools that I may share depending on how things turn out.

-pitman

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox

Perhaps I misread the earlier threads - I didn't realize we were talking about some of the aggregious problems the candidates are facing but rather thought we were talking about day to day frustrations with the Aussie schools.

You're forgiven, oh busy goddess.

-piman

Just to let you guys know, I called U. Syd and they seem to have a warped perception of how people like to organize going to a professional school overseas. I was told that in the past it has taken up to around 6 weeks for Canadian students to arrange visas and so they are waiting to notify students until later (ie. December). I was told that "rolling admissions" are still being processed so they feel there is still lots of time to notify us (up until recently they have been interviewing students). Ironically, I've pretty much decided to go to UQ but this blew my mind. They have dates set on their webpage and correspondence so I brought this up and also mentioned that several people have had offers at other schools. I think some of those people with offers at other schools are in a stressful situation becuase if U.Syd was a first choice then they are going to feel pressed into deciding to go to another school for which they've been accepted. As mentioned preivously, this will give a number of people a negative feeling towards the school...

markdc, thanx for the 411,

I had no idea they were in the habit of telling people something and then turning around and doing something else. I thought maybe they might just be busy right now; not really considering that they just don't care!!!

I'll wait as long as I can before giving up hope of hearing back from them. I still think their program is great and everything, but faced with waiting for them I might have to accept a sure thing somewhere else........ sounds like I'm experiencing a very similar situation as everyone else.

hope everyone's well,

Cheers,

Silenthunder

You the man for making the call.

Originally posted by markdc
Just to let you guys know, I called U. Syd and they seem to have a warped perception of how people like to organize going to a professional school overseas. I was told that in the past it has taken up to around 6 weeks for Canadian students to arrange visas and so they are waiting to notify students until later (ie. December).
Huh? Was there any reasoning added as to why 6 weeks for a visa translates into giving notification later? Or does the reasoning seem to be that since it takes up to 6 weeks, let's give 'em about 7 weeks notice.

I'd think the change in timeline has to do with some expected benefit to them, not the candidates, but not sure how the benefit could possibly be realized.

They have dates set on their webpage and correspondence so I brought this up and also mentioned that several people have had offers at other schools.

How did they respond (verbally or otherwise) when you mentioned this?

-pitman

- Scottish Chap if you don't mind my asking what are your other options?

Redshifteffect, it's nice to meet you again....and in a different forum! My other option is the 4-year accelerated GEP medical programme in the U.K. This is consistent with my citizenship and educational background. I have been in touch with several schools and they say I have a very competitive application and that they wouild welcome one; of course many others do also!! Nonetheless, this would be much easier for me than trying to enter McMaster as an international and around 1/15 of the cost in tuition. Man, McMaster?s attitude (specifically one person in their admissions office) has really warped my perception of them. Pitman, sorry if I've altered the focus of your questions in this thread. I feel a bit bad about that. [/B][/QUOTE]

- nice to meet you again Scottish Chap! yeah I don't know why mcmaster has such attitude problems but I would suspect it's because of the copious amounts of applications they have there. Still not an excuse though. On top of that they only have 10 international spots.

Anyway best of luck with your admissions!

Pitman,

I can understand the frustrations about the deposits...but as I said U of Syd will not reply any sooner with admissions because they still have an obligation to the local/current students.....Hopefully though you guys get your answers soon...i can understand how anxious you are.

markdc, good on ya for making the call.

it's a bit disconcerting if they are planning to wait yet another month for notification. . .is it part of the process to see who can wait it out? I would think especially for internationals they would have the decisions quickly for funding and moving. . . i don't understand at all.

When is the proper time to make decisions for alternate schools? From previous experience with USyd, rejection letters are not sent out either. So, it's limbo??

Originally posted by texasblue
From previous experience with USyd, rejection letters are not sent out either. So, it's limbo??

You mean USyd doesn't tell people they've been rejected?

Originally posted by pitman
You mean USyd doesn't tell people they've been rejected?
I know a local applicant who has already received a rejection letter from USyd, and I don't believe they would treat international applicants differently.

it's a bit disconcerting if they are planning to wait yet another month for notification. . .is it part of the process to see who can wait it out?

That can't be the strategy, waiting for the scraps/stragglers -- seems incidental to something else.

Originally posted by mic
I know a local applicant who has already received a rejection letter from USyd, and I don't believe they would treat international applicants differently.

They may...remember locals are on a different system...they might have to fill out a bunch more paperwork for locals than for internationals. Internationals students are also their second priority when it comes to admissions...remember they are an Australian uni and their primary objective is to train Australian doctors.

Yeah but red, the dean is very intelligent (see CV below), very professionally trained (e.g., London Business School MBA, among other degrees), and is surely cognizant of international image (and is accountable). And as stated, the schools DO compete for the better int'l students. While in a general sense it can be understood why Aussie schools don't tailor their schools/curricula to N. Americans, admissions is a different ball game.

http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/about/coatscv.html

-pitman

pitman,

I didn't mean that they are waiting until Dec to notify everyone. What I was told is that things work on rolling admissions meaning that you are notified when they decide to notify you.

When I mentioned the fact that I had offers at 2 other schools and needed to know whither or not I was in, the response was that they would get back to me.

The 6 weeks to process a visa was given as justification that they could wait until december to notify people. I don't know if I misinterpreted something that was said but this was the impression that I was given.

Once again, I think that they should simply stick by the dates provided on correspondence and on their own webpage and notify their international applicants in a timely manner. I can not be the only one with offers at other schools. Surely this is reflecting negatively on U. Syd even if only in the small body of applicants from abroad...

Yeah but red, the dean is very intelligent (see CV below), very professionally trained (e.g., London Business School MBA, among other degrees), and is surely cognizant of international image (and is accountable). And as stated, the schools DO compete for the better int'l students. While in a general sense it can be understood why Aussie schools don't tailor their schools/curricula to N. Americans, admissions is a different ball game.

http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/about/coatscv.html

-pitman

Pitman I didn't mean it in an insulting way...just meant to say that I think in terms of priority they have other stuff that they want to get done (first)

Not to encourage the same behaviour, but I'm not nearly as patient or tolerant, and a couple of years ago, I must have emailed, phoned, chased down a couple of people in administrative staff, that by the end of it, they got so fed up, they let me know i was in over the phone-they still don't like me going by the office.

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
Not to encourage the same behaviour, but I'm not nearly as patient or tolerant, and a couple of years ago, I must have emailed, phoned, chased down a couple of people in administrative staff, that by the end of it, they got so fed up, they let me know i was in over the phone-they still don't like me going by the office.

Hmmm...... perhaps I will try this. Pill Counter, what time of year did you do this last year? (going to start calling them tonite for my questions regarding rejection/acceptance).

Cheers,
Silenthunder

Last year I unsuccessfully applied to USyd and received no word of anything until I emailed regarding if all offers were out and if it was necessary to start the alternate plan. . .I received an email back a few days later saying I was unsuccessful, and that was it. This was near the end of November last year, when many acceptances were known mid-October. I"m just waiting it out this year, even though in a few hours one could easily ring them, and the temptation is huge. As well as the stress. They operate so differently from the US and I've learned to just avoid American "instant knowledge needed" tendencies. I also drink a lot of wine.

Originally posted by markdc
I can not be the only one with offers at other schools.

Yah mon, I'm another. Thus is what I emailed them on Thursday (their Friday).

Thanks for the clarifications.

-pitman

Originally posted by redshifteffect
Pitman I didn't mean it in an insulting way...just meant to say that I think in terms of priority they have other stuff that they want to get done (first)

No problem red, not insulted. I agree with you here -- I don't think they've *forgotten* us, but clearly have decided other things are more important. But "what" and "why" and "how not self-defeating", I do not have a clue.

-pitman

Originally posted by The Pill Counter

Pill Counter means at UQ (in case anyone not clear on this). They're admittedly (personal conversations) not *totally* on the ball over there, b.c. they're "newer" at the int'l competition game. But, they've at least been responsive in correspondences, and have been good at keeping all their dates (this year).

Has anyone who attempted to contact USyd heard anything?

Has anyone who attempted to contact USyd heard anything?

Not as of yet....

I just received an email from Victoria Haigh saying that I should receive something (?) in the mail within the next two weeks. No indication of whether the 'something' will be good or bad.

-pitman

Yeah, but one small problem, Red -- anyone considering UQ as a backup has to deliver $10K by the end of next week. There are other time constraints some of these ppl have I'm sure. Nonetheless, where other school(s) are an option, one has to weigh/wonder...

-pitman

Whoa. That's a huge deposit! Are there other contingencies like this attached to all the other schools in Australia?

Huh? Was there any reasoning added as to why 6 weeks for a visa translates into giving notification later? Or does the reasoning seem to be that since it takes up to 6 weeks, let's give 'em about 7 weeks notice.

I'd think the change in timeline has to do with some expected benefit to them, not the candidates, but not sure how the benefit could possibly be realized.

-pitman

Hmm...that is strange. I read on the Immigration Website that there are Evisas for students applying from outside of Australia. An application online is processed in 5-10 business days. In some rare cases, the application will have to be referenced at Australia. But, if this occurs, the whole process then takes 4 weeks.

At latest, processing a visa takes only 4, at most 5 weeks to process. Why the 6 weeks quote?

And Pitman, may I PM you?