sydney uni accommodation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts about on-campus accommodation in Sydney uni? on Sydney uni Village etc....
i am looking for accommodation and have to decide on one soon

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really know anything about housing in Sydney either, so I decided to go with SUV just for this first year... It'd better be worth it - WOW is it expensive.

sid said:
any thoughts about on-campus accommodation in Sydney uni? on Sydney uni Village etc....
i am looking for accommodation and have to decide on one soon

This is hard to reply to succinctly.

Keep in mind that the medical class is so big, there is a medical student in every kind of accomodation possible.

It boils down to two options.

1) On-campus accomodation
and
2) Renting/Leasing something near-by

1) You can choose from colleges and places like SUV and International House.
They are all on or a 3 minute walk from campus.
a. Colleges are quite expensive but you get 3 meals a day and you get camaraderie similar to a frat. You might not get any spots by now. There are some traditions you have to follow for example dressing nicely at mealtimes. Also, the buildings are a little older but the interiors are fairly nice. Fully furnished. I believe you have to share shower facilities unless you get a room with a bathroom.

b. SUV is very expensive and they will only have single rooms left now. The place is fully furnished. You will have to pay for your own meals on top of the $40 food card they make you buy.

c. International House is very cramped. You get 3 meals a day but I've heard complaints about the food. Often, you will have to share shower facilities. It is also fairly expensive.

2. Renting/Leasing a place. This can be a pain but rewarding if you find something nice. Rent near Uni can be expensive depending on what your requirements are. It can be a lot of hard work finding a place if you are picky and this is compounded by the fact that you have no method of transportation and you are new to the city.

www.domain.com.au
The areas that are near campus are Camperdown, Newtown, Glebe, Chippendale. Redfern, Enmore, Annandale etc are fairly close.
The farther you live away from campus, the cheaper (campus is close to the city).

You will definitely be able to find a place to rent if you get here a week before but it won't be your 'dream' home. I personally do a lot of studying at home (when I do decided to study) so I wanted a nicer place with no one in it.

Shared accomodation is cheaper and many places interview to get new flatmates.

Your other options are home-stay where you live with a family and STUCCO the Student Co-op housing.

I hope this helps.
Search around this forum for Sydney info. Some of us students have already posted on this forum.

See you in Februrary.

PS: GO TO MINTO