take mcat again in august?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmehta211

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i am applying to DO schools for 2001 and have sent out my preliminaries. I have a 3.1 GPA and 3.1 science GPA and then a postbac gpa of 3.4. i took the mcat in 1998 and received a 29 (10P,10B,9V,Q) and am trying to decide whether to take it again. i also have lots of volunteer experience, research in scientific and public health settings, and great letters of rec. i have been given the chance for joining a health care management startup, something that also interests me, for a year, and need to know whether to accept. however, it would prevent me from devoting time to study for the mcat again. look forward to hearing from anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good MCAT Score. However your GPA is a little low so you might want to consider taking the MCAT again ONLY if you think you can perform significantly better. And by significantly I mean probably 3 more points better.

I think your best bet is to talk to admission counslers at the osteopathic schools that your interested in and see what they think of your scores. Also ask them if they can tell you whatt the average GPA and MCAT scores are for the students they admitted in years past.

I totally agree with spf. It is a tough call. you have a good enough mcat but boh of you gpa's are low. you should call the schools and explain you situation and get the statistics from the past class so you can have a bettre idea of where you stand as a right now. good luck!
keep posting.

------------------
siul

hi all,

thanks for the quick responses. i took the advice and talked to three osteopathic schools' admissions staff. basically, they told me that i have a good score and that my profile is slightly below in average GPA and slightly above in mcat scores except UNE which stated that their avg. mcat score is 30. one staff member went as far to say "let sleeping dogs sleep."

i think i am going to enjoy my summer finally.