Taking a year off to transfer colleges, while in pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preMedFalcon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I’m currently a sophomore in college, majoring in chemistry with a minor in computer science. However, I’m strongly considering changing my major to computer science and my minor to chemistry. If I were to make this change, I also feel that I would like to transfer to another university that has a better program and reputation for computer science (and am thinking of majoring in computer engineering specifically, and my current college does not offer such a major). Other reasons for transferring would be to attend a university that offers better support for pre-med students, and where it’s easier to socialize and find connections with internships and research opportunities.

Applying during the Spring 2020 semester will require me to rush my applications, so it's not a good idea. Applying during the Fall 2020 semester will have the following problems:
  1. I will be limited to only applying to colleges that offer Spring semester entry to transfer students (which only a few that I know of do).
  2. I will have already completed more than 2 years of college by the time I actually transfer out, which makes me ineligible to apply to most colleges as a transfer student.
However, if I take a year off after the Spring 2020 semester (and apply in Spring 2021 for admission in Fall 2021), I will have a whole year to prepare and complete my applications while remaining eligible to apply to all colleges that offer admission to transfer students. I am aware that this will delay my graduation by at least 1 year, but I feel that it will be worth it in the long run, and I plan to delay applying to medical school anyway.

Now here are my concerns:
  1. Is taking the year off before transferring a good idea, assuming that I actually take part in valuable activities during this time (volunteer, research, internships, etc.)?
  2. Assuming I do all this successfully, how would I explain to medical school admissions committee why I took a year off before transferring (because I don’t think it's a good idea to say I had to take a year off just to remain eligible to apply as a transfer student)?
  3. Assuming I attempt this plan but do not transfer to another university and end up just returning to my current college. This would basically show that I completed 2 years, took a year off, and went back for the remaining 2 years. In this situation, wouldn't it be a red flag in my application to have taken a year off?
Also, I would be okay to change my major while staying at my current college, or to even remain as a chemistry major. I’m decently happy here, and the college does do a good job with supporting pre-med students, but I would prefer to transfer out if given the opportunity. Also, my current college doesn't offer guaranteed readmission for students who take time off before graduating.

I apologize for the long paragraphs and all the details, but I had to include everything so that there’s no confusion as to what exactly I'm thinking about doing and why. I've put a lot of thought into it and thought it would be a good idea to get other people's opinions on it. Anyone who can offer advice and their personal opinions will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools care about your gpa (4-year universities), MCAT score, extra curriculars, and your ability to paint a picture of yourself through writing. They do not care what your degree is in, as long as you have finished all the prerequisites.

If you want to transfer, I don’t think you need the gap year.

Do keep in mind that you'll need letters of recommendation from three professors, or a committee letter which usually requires that you have letters of recommendation submitted to the committee. You will have less time to get to know your professors at the new school, and will have cut ties with your current institution which could make acquiring letters more difficult.

What do you plan to do during your gap year aside from applying as a transfer student? Find things that get you up and out every day -- paying job, and/or community service. Stay connected to friends and hobbies, too. You may find that social life is limited if you are home while most of your age group leaves town for junior year.

Thank you for your advice, and I have decided that I will remain at my current college. I was already aware of the difficulties I would encounter with med school applications if I were to transfer, but thought maybe it shouldn't be too much of a problem if I plan out everything ahead of time. However, I do agree that it is better for pre-med students to remain at the same college during their undergrad.